Register now to get rid of these ads!

Queensland Australia flood washing cars away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ-IRON, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

my friend Rob in Seattle and Robert F. Rider Sr on Hamb
    sent me this link he got from his friend Tom who is a 1000 miles from Queensland

about massive flood waters in Queensland Australia carrying cars away :eek:

here's the link
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/watch/23805703/

I feel for you guys Down Under i've had my share of flooding but nothing like what's on the news and this video link

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. hershambob

hershambob

stay safe fellas

3. skywolf

skywolf

We're O.K. here on the Gold Coast but the flood waters cover an area equal to France and Germany combined.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Between the fires and the high water, you guys don't seem to get much of a break lately. So sorry to hear this. Hope it gets better real soon. Gary

5. Deuces

Deuces

Holy crap! I've never seen it like this in the 10 years I've lived there... Stay safe guys an' dolls!! :(

6. Man... that sux on a massive scale. Flooding pisses me off.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sure looks like that if there was time to film that there was time to get the owners of the cars down there and move them to high ground. About like UH, Fred, I got a good video of your car being washed away in the flood but I was so busy doing the video that I didn't have time to call you, want to see the video?"

I feel for you folks down there, My favorite park in Texas is in the big middle of a flood plane on the Leon River and gets flooded just about as quickly as that video makes it appear to happen there.

8. 55olds88

55olds88

yeah the aussies are getting it tough over there at the moment, expect to see a world wide roll on from this too, no coal to China at the moment, no sugar from Aussie and I imagine grain crops too for this season which will drive up costs all over.
    Stay safe you Ockers.

9. big bad john

big bad john

....Never seen anything like this before.......my prayers are out to you all....

10. well thats one way to wash your car.... just remember its just a car.. don't be like that one guy who risked his life to save his jeep...

11. Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

13. cheveey57

cheveey57

Hoping all are safe, the things can be replaced..................

14. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

My work place will go under (Brisabane, Rocklea). We moved all the welders up high but from what they say i think they'll be flooded aswell. The roads are cut off so i can't get to work, just have to wait it out and see in the next few days.
    Thankfully my house is high and dry...... if anyone needs a hand now or in the next few days just let me know.

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Did that guy say "Do you think we should move our car?" Sucks, but most of those cars in that video could have easily been moved in plenty of time if somebody had just let people know what was happening. To sit there and just film it seems kind of strange.

Still, there is obviously tons of terrible unavoidable damage. Good luck getting back in shape Oz folks. But most of all, stay safe.

16. kenb

kenb
    Member Emeritus

I probably would have done the same thing as the guy who saved his Jeep, but I wouldn't have let myself get caught on film running around out there with an umbrella while I was doing it.

Stay safe in Queensland folks.

Ken

17. jangleguy

jangleguy

Yikes! How many of you are typing on your laptops from up in a tree?
    Hopefully you can rebuild everything even better than before. Keep in touch, if you can.

18. It was Toowoomba (pop. app. 130,000) CBD- folks scattered all over. Toowoomba- home of the aussie 'Ohio look'

Brisbane flood level to peak tomorrow, nature notwithstanding.

19. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those cars were parked there by people working all over the area . You would have no hope of finding the owners in the time it took . You have to remember as well that this town is on a mountain , it's not supposed to flood up there . The big concern in this whole situation though is the water that ran through the town then went down into the valley below , and as of right now 10 have died and 90 people are still missing .

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys, being a volunteer with both St John and State Emergency Service and a qualified Paramedic and Trauma nurse I just came home from I think about 40 odd hours in Toowoomba and below at a place called Withcott (I think thats how its spelled?).
    It is every bit as bad as the news is portraying. We were searching through homes that were 7-800 meters from there foundations, some were just wreckage. The houses we knew the owners were still in when they washed away may never be found.
    I never noticed it until I got out of the helicopter back here in Brissy, there is a horrid stink from all that water, I don't know what I am coted in!!
    I vouwed after the Katherine floods in 98 to never work in another, at least this time we didnt need have a No2 with us at all times shooting crocks. Fuck this shit. Im sick of it.

Doc.

21. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Doc . I believe they have crocs in the streets further north . The police are on watch . Hows it looking at your place . Im at Deagon , and should be ok .

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sounds awful. Keep safe guys.

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bald Hills, the creek came up and it looks like some houses were inundated. Water came up my street but not far enough thank fuck.

Doc.

24. hopup289

hopup289

crazy to see,im in toowoomba and at the bottom of my street there's a little creek not worth thinkin about....well it was 40m wide and a meter over the bridge with a 20ft shipping container floating along.bridge is chewed out,im on the side of a hill and found my stang in a foot of water with 2 foot of water pushin at the side of my workshop.we are all ok when you see just what happened to our brothers at the bottom of the hill.long road ahead for so many

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will all be sad to hear I found not only the twisted wreckage of what appeared to have been a very nice early 50s Buick? But numerous early Fords (Early Falc's XL etc) and Holden's (One Fx and a lot of latter king'ys etc).

Doc.

26. Here on the west coast we know rain but not like that ! You people down there stay safe and I hope your families are all accounted for. Take care , Rob.

27. Gotta be careful goin' thru those cars, with snakes etc. Steady onward, they'll be hard times, good luck. My folks have a brown snake, plants & cane toads drowned in their garden @ Biggenden.

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Cars and houses can be replaced, it's the people I have concern for. Will say a prayer tonight for everyones safety.

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I grew up on a farm at Nagambie just out of Seymore on the Golbern River. I learnt about the snakes as a little tacker, I swear to god it would have taken a miricale to get me into the wheat shed after I saw how many dead Browns and red belly blacks my uncle killed in there.
    I was more worried about crocs here, knew there was a danger of them and saw a LOT after the flood in Katherine in 98. I let the SES guys go in first, Im a coward at heart.

HopUp, where in Toowoomba are you? We started up there but followed the water. Its not good mate.

I am glad to hear you and your Stang are ok.........oh and I 'spose the family too......

Doc.

PS, The horror of all this could be eased by some cookies...............errr......... yeah, thats right! I will send my address and you send cookies and I will make sure I eat......ummm.........they go to the needy.........you believe me right!