Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Quarter Midgets from the 50's & 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KGB911, Mar 7, 2011.

1. CTO

CTO

Don't think I was in a race with him, but I remember his car. It had a picture of a boy asleep at the wheel with zzzz.

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Glad CTO got this thread rolling again. What a cool time to be a kid!! A local shop on Indy's southside [Bob Shirley's Super Service] had a room full of em'. As a young kid I used to go there and just dream of driving one.

3. 7.51 seconds. Prior to that, Mike Olivero held the record at 7.93 set at the Little Ascot track. On dirt all the makes of cars were fairly equal. Once they started paving the tracks, the Kurtis 4 bar was far superior.

4. CTO

CTO

This is my car in 1959.

Attached Files:

5. CTO

CTO

here it is today, 2012

Attached Files:

6. CTO

CTO

more pictures, without the trophies in the way.

Attached Files:

7. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

that is AWESOME that you still have it.

8. CTO

CTO

A few more of 14H. The engine had a head, oil pan, distributer,valve cover, and fly wheel made by Offenhauser Mfg. The intake manifold was custom made by my dad and used a carb without a float bowl.

Attached Files:

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Anybody have any info on quarter midget racing in Hanover, PA area in late 50s? I recently purchased this truck that used to race numbers 45 and 46; driven by two girls... Bonnie and Jackie Raubenstine. Where are they now?

Attached Files:

10. Ebert

Ebert

Awesome truck!

11. Darryl Clarke

Darryl Clarke

Yes, "Sleepy Tripp" was a good quarter midget driver, who went on to become a good
    adult, or "full" midget driver.

(I was an "OK" quarter midget driver, who went on to become an "OK" sports car racer...)

Darryl Clarke

12. Darryl Clarke

Darryl Clarke

You will likely have to make one, the basic side rails you might want to make from small Channel.
    If you can get a photo from a RaceCraft, or Whalborg, with the body off, it may help a lot...
    Darryl Clarke

13. casper

casper

Dusty, You are so lucky. What kind of guages are in the dash? and are they just for looks? also, what is the brake handle from? Who made the intake manifold? Sorry for all the questions, but I love these little cars. Love the rabbits foot !!!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  14. casper

casper

Sleepy Tripp at age 5, his brother Bobby is handing him the trophy..
    [​IMG]

15. CTO

CTO

The guages are oil pressure and oil temp, they work. At one time we had a tach under the steering wheel but as I grew we had to take it out. My dad turned the barke handle and made the intake manifold. He was in charge of production and ran the shop at Offenhauser for 30 years making ford V8 heads and manifolds, engine and carb adapters, and later intake manifolds for all kinds of engines. The head, oil pan, distributer, valve cover, and fly wheel on my 1/4 midget are Offenhauser parts.

16. racer5c

racer5c

I finally found a Viking Craft and brought it home today

Attached Files:

17. racer5c

racer5c

couple more pictures

Attached Files:

18. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I am stocked you got that Viking Roy. I didn't realize the backstory until tonight
    or I would have already been all over that for you.

19. Ebert

Ebert

Way cool. Roy.

20. Nice score. Looks to be one of the stretched versions for older kids. In about '58 associations raised the age limit from 12 to 15. Some manufacturer's offered cars with more length for the taller kids. Ronnie Phelps and Mike Olivero drove stretched Viking Crafts.

21. racer5c

racer5c

Dean, thanks, I have been looking and looking at it trying to figure out why the cockpit looked so long, the frame hasn't been stretched or cut and the body hasn't been either. The "roll bar" over the nose has been added and there are some mounts for a roll bar that have been added but besides those things it looks pretty much unmolested.

22. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Congrats Roy!

Bart

23. Yse, it is a vary nice example of an un molested Viking Craft. If it were mine, I would remove the bar over the nose. It takes away from the perfect lines of the body. Yours is the first Viking Craft I've seen since I retired from 1/4 midgets. Either the production numbers were not very high, most of them were cut up, or there are a hell of a lot of them hiding somewhere. I'm glad you found one Roy. You, of all people, should have one!

24. casper

casper

Wow Roy,
    That car looks great. Congrats on getting a Vikingcraft....now life is as it should be !!! Your dad built one of the best looking quarter midgets of all time.

25. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

I am not sure if this car is appropriate for this thread because it was built in the late 30's or early 40's before there were any formal 1/4 midgets that I know of. When I received it for Christmas in 1947 there were no sanctioning bodies and the only place I had to run it was on the side streets and parking lots. Nobody else had one so I raced against friends on bikes--it's a wonder any of us survived childhood. It's not a toy but was built just like a real racecar of the period. It has an aluminum body on a steel rail frame, engine in front, driveshaft and rear end. We are pretty sure it was built by Emil Andres and Jimmy Snyder. I still have it--65 yrs--Is that a record?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I am age 4 or 5 in the car

[​IMG]

There are more detailed photos on my website http://buymegivemetakeme.com/ and there are some current pictures on the HAMB thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747601

26. casper

casper

OMG !!! That is the best looking junior midget I have ever seen. It just represents an era when craftsmen would build things to show their talent. I would guess that there are not too many flat tail "junior" midgets from this early pre-war time period left. I am glad to see you have always hung on to it. Don't ever sell it (unless it's to me !!) Thanks for posting... this thread is getting better and better.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

saw these while on the Garage Tour part of the Blackie Gejeian Roast

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  28. racer5c

racer5c

Spending that is beyond incredible!!!

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Seeing that Jr Midget reminded me of this brochure I have, a fella down near Sacramento sent me about a dozen years ago. He knew the people involved with this. Anyone have a guess as to the time period this would have been? We could always call PRospect 1421 and find out. Sorry I had to scan it in 4 sections, it is 9x13 (double sided) and is in excellent condition.

Attached Files:

30. I believe this is one of the Viking Craft Roadster 1/4 midgets. Danny drove one painted red with an 8 ball number. It was the precursor to the later sidewinder 1/4 midgets.

[​IMG]