Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Quarter Midgets from the 50's & 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KGB911, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Ebert

Ebert

Chuck,

I am thankful that you mentioned Lance and Greg...shame on me for not including these two, awesome and most talented craftsmen in my post above. Greg literally took a broken, beat-up Dreyerette (didn't quite look like one) and applied his magic, relentless pursuit of perfection and incredible talent and made my Dreyer just like Pop Dreyer built. Greg even went to see Junior Dreyer and retrieved the original molds (through Mac Miller I believe) to recreate the nose. Greg even took apart the original seat to make a new base and used EVERY nail/tack from the original. I could go on and on, but Greg you are THE MAN and I am so appreciative of your talent!

E

2. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Does any one have any wheel base figures for a 1/4 midget? I've got a decent re-pop glass body but need more info on sizes, engine/drive choices, proper wheel/tires sizes. Hope this thread takes off--I'd love to get started on my wall hanger--it's really dusty. BILL RINALDI

3. Keith

Keith

Here is My old #99

Attached Files:

4. zimmy440

zimmy440
    from merced ca

hey guys I am new to the site . I was woundering if any one know where I can get parts for these I just picked one up I will post pics latter so some one can help me identify it

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. Triumph "Cub" engines were 200cc's.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hi guys!
    Any chance of seeing some more detail pictures of this little jewel? I would love to know width figures and see a picture with the tail removed to see the engine setup.. I have a couple of those for spares around here.

7. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

I saw this car at Hershey last year. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

2006 at Hershey flea market. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Winchester Speedway 2010. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

10. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

another one from Winchester 2010. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

11. millersgarage

millersgarage

This is my next project car. All steel.

I've been told it's more likely a micro-midget, than a quarter midget.

midget.jpg

Rear engine, front and rear suspension, external hand brake

12. chuckles0

chuckles0

mine in the late 50s' 'Wahlberg' #13 Ohio State fairgrounds

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  13. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Dean, here is a picture of Jack's original Kurtis taken at last years Roadsters Show. Sorry I'm not a better photographer, but pictures are pictures.......:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. AnzaRob

AnzaRob

The 1/4 in Quarter Midgets referred not to the size of the car, but rather the size of the track they ran on.

15. Ebert

Ebert

With all due respect, I do not think you know what you are talking about.

16. Agreed. A 1/4 midget is one quarter the size of a full midget. Likewise, a TQ is 3/4 the size of a full midget.

17. Im surprised that these images were not posted earlier.I did see these on another thread somewhere but they I feel that they belong on this one as well. Cheers, H.R.D.:)

Attached Files:

18. AnzaRob

AnzaRob

With all due respect, A midget racer runs on a track 1/5 of a mile in length, while a quarter midget runs on a track 1/4 that length, or 1/20 th of a mile. In the 1940's and 50's, a midget could reach speeds of 120 M.P.H. while a quarter midget could make speeds of 30 M.P.H. approx 1/4 the speed of the bigger car.

19. Ebert

Ebert

Again, with all of the respect in the universe, you have no idea what you are talking about. As Dean states, it relates to SIZE OF THE CAR!!!! JEEZ!

20. AnzaRob

AnzaRob

Hey guys, I'm just stating facts here. A full midget racer has a wheelbase of 66" to 76". If a quarter midget was 1/4 that size, it would have a wheelbase of 16.5" to 18". That's more like the size of an RC racer. USAC rules state that a quarter midget wheelbase is to be between 42" and 56"
    So I know a little of what I'm talking about

21. casper

casper

Just picked up this orange 1957 Racecraft on Monday the 4th, It was a day off at work so about 4:30 a.m I left Fresno and headed down to L.A. to pick up a 1920 T tub body from "docauto" here on the H.A.M.B. It was a great transaction and he is a really cool guy with a badass place. On my way home, I stopped at my buddy Steve's house in Bakersfield and when I pulled in the alley behind his house, this thing was sitting in front of his garage door, a deal was made and we loaded it on the very back of the tailgate with a tie strap and it made it home fine (lots of honks and waves!), Anyway, I need to build a couple more go Kart stands so I can stack it and the little Moss Midjet out in the garage to keep the flow going!

Attached Files:

22. I got this over the weekend. I think it is a ANS Craft. Suposed to pick up the motor this week when he gets it out of the attic.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      63.6 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      64.9 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      53.4 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
  23. jpm49c

jpm49c

For Dean Lowe and Vintage Quarter Midget lovers.
    Blakely Stadium in Phoenix Arizona December 1957

Attached Files:

NorthEastMetal likes this.
  24. Great article on the first ever national championship race. The Lowe Brothers could do no wrong that weekend!

25. jpm49c

jpm49c

This track is still running races to this date at the South Mountain Park in Phoenix..
    Cover picture ;

Attached Files:

26. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

27. Fat Rich

Fat Rich
    from so. cal

had a friend back in the day ( mid 60's ) that raced 1/4 midgets he had lots of throphys and said he drove a "side winder" (motor on the side) I don't know i was only ten at the time. said his dad invented it. was there such a thing?

28. guffey

guffey

watson jr a.jpg

watson jr d.jpg

I thought I would post photos of this roadster style 1/4 midget. I thought someone might know who built it or who it was built for? It is front engine, cross torsion bar front, shaft drive with an aluminum body.

29. chuckles0

chuckles0

They first appeared to me; in the early 60s'.(I was 8) 'Charley Workman ' had one . He ran it at Ohio state fairgrounds.( the old 'pig barn'.)
    I believe he ran it in the 'Open 'A' class. (fast,nitro)