Register now to get rid of these ads!

quarter midget 1/4 Midget Kart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JasonCarGuy, Jun 13, 2011.

1. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Well, I found a 1/4 midget at an estate, stored in a couple buildings, but seems to mostly be there with the exception of interior. I'm looking to find anyone that could maybe give me some information. Believe its a continental gear reduction engine, how do you wire these things up, coil, and a small battery or is there a magnet like a briggs? My first time with an engine like this. I assume they are 4 stroke, regular gas? Mine has an extra capacity oil pan on the bottom (aluminum) and a sweet little carb. Got a box of parts too. Magnesium wheels. I'll try to get some pics posted. Any help in identifying it would be awesome. The chassis has torsion bar suspension at each corner, hydraulic brake that looks like aircraft actuator, aircraft fasteners throughout. Can you help, Jason (was most likely raced in Kansas around McConnel Air Force base there was an old track). Estimated Value?

Attached Files:

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep Cont. engine mag ign using Ford 6 points. Back in the 50s-60s various classes allowed different engine mods. Stock engine class had to use nothing but genuine Cont. parts. Worked at a Cont. engine distributor in the 60s. That's all I got.

3. There's a thread on these. I'm not sure what the title is,but there's lots of pic's and info on it.

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

PM Casper he is the KING of 1/4 midgets

5. It would appear to be a DMC 1/4 midget. If the Continental is stock, it has a mag and points, no battery needed. The non stock classes removed the mag, ran a motorcycle coil and battery with the stock points.

6. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Attached some pics. of the engine. Can anyone provide any info.? Carb is an AMAL Birmingham England (have this carb and two extras), 6 Volt coil. What Gear oil in the gear box? What oil in the crankcase (30W does it need to be non-detergent)? Where do you get a 6Volt motorcycle battery?
    Thanks,
    Jason

Attached Files:

7. racer32

racer32

Your 6v battery doesn't HAVE to be a bike battery. There are some really nice gel batteries out there in 6v. If you have a store called Batteries Plus near you they will have one that should run your engine just fine. It will probably be a total loss system, so you'll need a 6v charger, too. You might also check at the WM. They may have a wet-cell bike battery in 6v-lots of older Jap Enduro bikes used 6V electrics.

8. The finned gearbox, Solt oil sump, modified fan shroud and 5/8' Amal tell me this was a fairly serious engine. Love to know what cam and piston is in it. Check the jet size like I said in the PM to see if it's a gas or Alky engine.

9. gas pumper

gas pumper

Use a little 12 volt battery, lawn mower, motorcycle. And any 12V car coil with a balast resistor. Just like any points system in a car. Use a toggle switch you can reach for an ignition switch. ON-OFF.

Probably 6 cyl ford points and condensor, Right?

10. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy