Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Quality frenched headlight kit

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Early Ironman, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Can anyone recommend a quality frenched headlight kit. I understand quite a few of the kits have chincy hardware. I want to make sure I get something that will last.
    Going on a 54 Chevy Bel air 2dr ht.

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Use the original parts,there are a lot of threads how to do it.You'll save money and it will look A LOT better than it would look with the aftermarket shit.Just my 2 cents..

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Following on with the above suggestion, the headlight bucket is removed from the font of the fender and reinstalled behind the headlight opening. That allows removal of the bucket for maintenance after a ring/bezel is permanently attached to the front. The choice of the ring is up to you, but several are/were popular. Depends on the 'look' you want. Smooth rounded or deep set headlight.

Ray

4. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thanks for the recommendation, I will do just that!

5. Torchie

Torchie

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks for the link, Torchie. I already knew how to do it, but a nice write up as a refresher.

7. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thanks a lot Torchie, great link!

8. taildragger1957

taildragger1957

I did what he other guys said. Mounted from behind. I used some steel headlight rings i found at a swap meet. I believe they're ford. But they dont have the stainless trim rings like the 52-54 do, so i don't know exactly what they're from. Anyhow. Had to trim it down a bit. I shaved my body line off the side when i built my car. But if you don't, you'd have to add that on there as well if you went the same route as me. Heres some pictures. Hope it helps.

IMAG0985.jpg IMAG0986.jpg IMAG0987.jpg IMAG1003.jpg

Capt Chap likes this.
  9. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

10. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Nicely done,
    Thank you for the pics and info!
    Will be tackling this as soon as I find a set of headlight rings. Swap meets season is coming up. Hope to score as many parts as possible... reasonably priced:)
    By the way, I dig the scallops on your hood. Do you have others?

11. taildragger1957

taildragger1957

Thanks, but the scallops were done by the previous owner. Pretty much immediately after buying it i started tearing into it. Its since been chopped, bagged, shaved and finish painted. Heres a pic of it as it sits now. Quite a bit different from when i started.

20150611_201655-2.jpg

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Damn , that thing looks good !

taildragger1957 likes this.
  13. rudestude

rudestude

I ran into the same problem on my 50 Bel air , cheap crap, so this is what I came up with ...57 Hillman bucket, 57 ford outer ring, 54 merc inner ring, and with trim here and a little grinding there now I have a bucket that's easy to adjust and that removes from the front...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

HotRodRyan and Capt Chap like this.
  14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Original type parts make for a nicer looking frenched headlight. The Hagen kits looks like a pie tin and is overused.

RICH B likes this.
  15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

As I understand it , that's technically a "tunneled" headlight , but you did a heck of a job . Good thinking out of the box , using production parts . It's gonna look nice when it's finished , and I love the fact that it can be removed/adjusted from the front.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  16. rudestude

rudestude

Thanks guys..I just work with what I have laying around..once I figure out how I will post what I'm working on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Stock early french like 49 Ford or Chevrolet and 52/52 Ford and Merc late french, that's it the rest, kits and tunneled, bird beaks etc. is not good for headlights. 52 53 Cad headlight rings look good on 53 54 Chevys as well, buy them and screw them on.