Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quain Scott Willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser1961, Aug 18, 2012.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

Truely an awesome car Quain and Thank You for making the videos for us to be able to share in your fun !

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Awesome car.
    Nothing wrong with Glass Quain, I'm building a glass Willys too, Welcome

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gene Cromer has gave me the OK to post the pics of the Moonlighter as it sets today. I will post them as soon as I figure out how to get them from my pics on my computer to here it don't let me browse my pics. It don't help that I don't know what I'm doing.

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

[​IMG]

If this works this is the body of Gene Cromers Willys where it has been setting for years

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Are there plans to resurect the Willys into action once again?

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Looks like I have learned to post pics on here thanks to Kiwi Kev. This is the chassis it has been out in the weather for a long time. Gene said that the rear of the chassis had broke and he replaced the rear section with square tubing and coil overs some where in the late 60s. I think that it will still be period correct I will find out the exact date the work was done next time I talk to Cromer[​IMG]

7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Don't know about the action part because we are going to put it back just like it was in the 60s. It would be a shame to change anything on something as cool as this. But we won't rule out a low gear blast hopefully with Cromer driving.He 80 years young now.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

I totally understand, and even that will be great to see.

Do you have any pictures of what it looked like back then and what did he run for a drivetrain?

9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

A shot from the front note the door hinge for the flip front end that was added in the later 60s.[​IMG]

10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yea I will post them later. It had several engines and tran's in it. Cromer was a ford man all the way so only ford stuff.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I thought those mounts were for a Ford, FE? Thanks for sharing it with us.

12. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The engine mounts and the old water pump is still there he always ran stack fuel injection with cam driven fuel pump so it had to have a remote water pump.[​IMG]

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The old shocks are still there I hope we can have them rebuilt. The axle is an original 41 Willys. not sure about the brakes but I will find out.[​IMG]

15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is golden the clutch and brake set up I think Cromer told me it was from a 50 something chevy. I will rebuild it no mater what it takes.[​IMG]

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The drive shaft loop and front ladder bar brackets . The ladder bars are missing but Cromer built them himself as he did everything, he will help me do them exactly as they were.[​IMG]

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The rear mount for the battery the body mount is bent but no big deal[​IMG]

19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Mr A/Gas him self Gene Cromer and I this was about 2 years ago. Some one on here was talking about the race coming up in Atlanta GA called the Atlanta 10000 Cromer won A/Gas at that race in 1967. He was bad every where he went.[​IMG]

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is it in it's hay day[​IMG]

21. Very cool Quain, my brother in law is an FE Ford guy, let me know if you need any thing, include pistons.

22. Very cool! Plenty there to work with.

23. dblgun

dblgun

Quain, I would be interested in what the specifics rules are for these cars. Is there something that you folks have put together in the way of guidelines or is it not that structured at this point. I'm would really like to get back to some simple period correct racing.

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I don't know if this is the place to post these rules but several people have asked. If I'm wrong for posting this here let me know and I will remove it.

NOSTALGIC GASSER RACE RULE
    These rules are set in place in order to control the appearance of the participating cars. We are striving for the look of a 1960’s era A-C Gas car. This applies to the body, wheels & tires, as well as the chassis/suspension and the engine compartment. These rules are a preliminary set that may change. If rule changes are made it will be more strict and not less. If you would like to run please send detailed photos of your car to [email protected]. Quain will present the photos to the group for consideration/approval.
    No trans brake (Automatic cars must leave with foot brake)
    No N20 Nitrous Oxide
    No Round Tube Chassis (S)
    No A Frame or Strut type frontend
    No 4 Links
    No Electronics (This includes but not limited to: Two steps Delay boxes, Throttle Stops, Crossover boxes, Data recorders, Traction control systems, Infrared starting line systems, Air Shifters, etc.)
    *Line locks will be allowed as well as high side Rev limiters (engine safety only) , Playback tachometers & Ignition boxes ( At least try to hide msd boxes so the engine compartment will look old school )
    * Rev limiters can be used only as engine protection but not for launching the car
    No long wheelie bars (try to keep them as close to the bumper as possible)
    No open bodies styles or Altereds. *Closed body cars only.*
    No billet or spun aluminum wheels
    No billet engine covers, breathers, valve covers, etc.
    No tires wider than 11.5 inches
    No wedged out frontends
    No modern letters on tires (if they are lettered they must be old school small type letters)
    No modern graphics.
    No Pro stock/ snorkel style hood scoops (scoops must be of the 60s)
    No wings or air dams
    Body modifications allowed will be radiused wheel wells. Chopped tops will be approved through the group
    No alcohol. Gas only (These are gassers )
    REQUIRED
    Closed full body styled cars 1967 or earlier
    Body must be stock or stock replica.
    Interior must be 60’s era styled. No modern high back seats, etc.
    Straight Axle Front suspension
    60’ era wheels. (Steel, aluminum slots, Magnesium, etc.)
    Front tires must be skinny (No wide front tires)
    Front wheels in the air on launch.
    We are looking for guard rail to guard rail action. If the track would allow it, we would scrape up the rubber and run on asphalt like they ran in the '60s. That would truly separate the men from the boys.
    The jury is still out on blown cars.
    This was our first race and we have a lot to learn. As stated at the beginning, these rules will be adjusted as time goes on to keep this deal as close to mid 60’s era as possible. We do not want this to get out hand and turn into a bunch of super gas cars with nostalgia bodies like some of the other deals out there. So keep in mind the next race could be different.

25. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Looks like I'm out :(

I'm just a hobbyist and not a pro engine tuner. Alcohol is so forgiving and no heat issues. I doubt the average fan would know the difference even if they smelled the fumes. But I bet they could spot a fiberglass replica body... :rolleyes:

Oh, and tons of gassers ran without straight axles. :)

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Ok sorry I posted the rules now ya'll know why I have been a member since 2006 on here but don't post very often. I posted them because some people asked about our deal didn't mean to down anybody's car. First off this is not just for the average fan they are welcome to come and watch our race but not only would the average fan not know the difference between alcohol or gas most don't know the difference between a period correct gasser or a super gas car with a nostalgia body. We are doing this so we will have a place to race our cars against other like cars.We race heads up no brake out (Alcohol is about 10th quicker I had my on it I had to change it before they would let me run). I know there were plenty of gassers that had control arm front ends but we had to draw the line some where can you imagine how much better I could make my car handle and work with control arms. Bottom line is let me put just a few modern day parts on my Willys and I could have it running 4.80 in the 1/8 easy. and if this gets out of hand just like most of the other gassers deals have I'll show you then I'll quit because then it will be just another modern day drag race. Oh and as for the punch on my body I knew that was coming refer back to my first post on this tread

27. Larry T

Larry T

I don't see that any one is wrong here, just different.

But this is the reason there will NEVER be a set of nation wide standardized rules for Gassers now days.

28. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Some early 33 willys Gassers had Glass bodys, Chris

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  29. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Your exactly right Larry it's hard to make every body happy. We spent a lot of time on these rules and still have a lot to do. The reason we did the suspension rules the way we did was to try and keep things p/c and keep the ETs around 5.90s with out having to have a serous tech department. As an example Greg Porter has a high dollar engine I have $3200 in mine and we run within a 100th of a second of each other. As I said before we don't want to have to have a break out. Like Shakey stated I tune for a living but with the ill handling cars anybody can have a chance to win trying to put the driving back in the sport.This is really going to make a lot of people mad but next year we are probably going to require at least 48 inch ladder bars.

30. Larry T

Larry T

I don't know exactly when (67/68, I think) but fiberglass bodies were allowed in the Gasser classes (blown) around the same time they started allowing fabricated frames.