Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quad Headlight in a HOT ROD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MetalFlaked60, Jun 29, 2005.

1. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

I did a search and found some old threads but none of the pics would open...Im kind of exploring the idea of putting quad head lights in my A. I have the stock 30 grille and a steel 32 commercial grille which one would be better to use... I dont really want to make it really crazy with all the fiberglassin' and all that just something kind of simple....What kind of lights and surrounds should I use?...Does any on have any pics of this....Thans Jamie

2. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I never liked that look, except on the Beach boys Deuce

[​IMG]

3. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

The duece coupe grill surround is one of my favorites. That look just does something to me. If i was you, but im not, i would go for a similar look to that. maybe a slighly more tilt, ala invicta.

4. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

I agree with you guys I really like it....But I was gonna go with something more simple because I dont have the skill to make something like that...I dont even know how you would make it ....haha....

5. Check the search I believe there a thread on this with good pics

6. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

I did that and found the post but I couldnt get any of the pics to open....

7. Jamie,

IMHO, Keith Weesner is the king of quad light grille shells (on paper at least). The ones he draws seem to be smaller or thinner that a lot of the "heavy" looking ones (like the Beach Boys Coupe).

Weesner did this drawing (below) and a T-shirt for The Rodder's Journal. Both are excellent examples. Neither "overpower" the car. Both look to be based on an Edsel "horse collar" grille/shell.

Looks cool if you nail it. Looks like crap if you don't.

If you nail it, it will be worth whatever it takes to learn the skills to do it. Keep us posted.

JH

Attached Files:

8. Plowboy

Plowboy

I can't find a set of quad lights that I like for the lander. Everything looks too big and bulky.

If someone has something that they think would work, let me know, otherwise I will just slap a set of guides on it.

9. Mutt

Mutt

These are probably what you were thinking of..

Mutt

10. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

I think those would look cool on there.....Does any one have a set?

11. Mutt

Mutt

Something else that would work would be the dual headlights on some of the big trucks that were in pods on the fenders (Mack?) They look like they would be bolt-on. Check the net (Or maybe some of the truckers on here could tell you the make).

Mutt

12. Phil1934

Phil1934

Consider a horizontal wing with the lights hanging side by side under it and then google some Chrysler 300 lights.

13. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

mutt's right. try the big truck wrecking yards, parts books,and etc.__________dan

14. RoadKat

RoadKat

Almost every car in 65 66 had stacked headlights, cut one of those up for the buckets. :eek:

15. Go to a mud truck store and get a pair of pencil beams and a pair of floods. They come in 5" which would streamline the hell out of it, then its just a matter of makeing a stand to bolt 'em to.
    Or a couple of mounts welded to the side of your grill shell (stacked0 then a simple shroud to go around 'em.

MFlake,
    I'd go with the smaller grill shell and maybe even cut it down if I could.

16. Ok, edit here. Let me change my reference to something a little more traditional and in fiberglass. I have always thought it would be cool to adapt '58-'62 'vette headlights into an A grille shell, but mount them vertically instead of horizontally like the vettes had.

Attached Files:

17. DrJ

DrJ

I like them on "show cars" like the Barris "Twister T"
    If you mount them side by side like that find the best location with the wheels turned full lock, or you'll be hitting them on turns.

Plowboy, I think the most "compact" duals were those '65 Ambassador? lights Vaughn and company used on that pearl with scallops '60 Impala.
    Another one thet would look good would be the '61or'62 Imperial floating lights.
    You could use them single if your looking for "dainty".
    Or do something with some '61 or '62 Olds lights?
    There's always the Lucas type driving lights like on Outlaw.

18. glassguy

glassguy

i hope we can get a few more pics on here, im going with canted quads on my model a sedan.. my friend has an old fiberglss quad light grille shell he is trying to pull a mold from, ill get some more info

19. DrJ

DrJ

JC Whitney usta have a shell similar to that "Little Deuce Coupe" in their catalog, about 40 years ago... :cool:

20. Yea they used to sell Lucas Flamethrowers too. Damn I wish I could find a real set of those reasonable (cheap?).

21. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

I still have a set of the old offy quad stands. They are just like the single stands but fo 4 headlights

22. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I have a 62 Buick Electra 225 that has a interesting headlight set-up, would that work for you? Can't post pics, maybe a search would turn up something.

23. Here are a few.-MIKE:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. scottrod

scottrod

I've been running headlight stands like the ones in the ad posted by Mutt. Thanks Mutt, I never knew who made them until now. I can tell you that this setup was neither cheap nor easy, but it was worth it to me. If anyone wants to run Lucas lights I can tell you that it will cost you about $50.00 per headlight unless you can scrounge up some swapmeet deal. And that doesn't count all the replacement bulbs you will need just because they're made by Lucas.
    -Scotty

[​IMG]

25. Radshit

Radshit

There was a fella, set up in the vender's area of the LA Roadster show......he had some nice artwork of topfuel cars and some drawings...I wish I had one of his cards.....but anyway he had a picture he drew of a little modified with a 40 Ford looking grill with quads and it was bitching....I might try something like that with my modified....

26. DrJ

DrJ

I've liked that car ever since I first saw it at a Road Kings Picnic about 5(?) years ago.
    I dont suppose cops bother anyone about running Lucas lights any more since there's no "standard" for headlights anymore?

27. scottrod

scottrod

I finally figured out that if you run the "fog light" bulbs instead of the "driving light" bulbs it gives out light like a normal driving lamp. When I had the "driving light" bulbs in they came on like high beams and a lot of people flashed their headlights at me. I don't think there's any traffic cops around that care about what kind of headlight you have as long as it works and doesn't blind people.

-Scotty

28. purple

purple

I have always liked Tweedy Pie

[​IMG]

29. I love the ones on the bubbletop from Alex of the Shifters car club:
    [​IMG]

30. Clark

Clark

I'd like to do some molded in quad headlights like the green roadster or the bubbletop has. What bugs me is how the back of the headlight should look. The best way I can figure to do it is like the Ala Kart and fade them into a hoodside.

Any picture that show the back of these molded in quads?
    Clark