Register now to get rid of these ads!

Q About rebuilding GM starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KernCountyKid, Aug 30, 2008.

1. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

Went to a alternator shop and got all the parts, got my starter all torn down, now I got a few questions:

How do I pull out the copper bushing at the end of the housing?

What areas need grease, and what kind of grease?

And, most importantly -

The part (I think it's called a field coil) that is secured to the main housing body with the 4 large flat head screws has 4 copper wires leading to the brushes, secured by a screw. One of these wires has seperated from the little plate that the screw goes through. How do I reattatch the copper wire to the little plate with the screw hole? Can I solder it? I hope that made sense.

Thanks! the shops are closed till Tuesday and I was hoping this would be a good weekend project!

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

No grease, soak the bushings in oil overnight before installing. To remove the bushing from the blind hole the way I have always done it was split it with either a diamond point or cape chisel,CAREFULLY !!. Yes you can solder that lug or a replacement on the coil lead,coils only draw 4-5 amps so load is not to heavy.

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

It's been a long time since I did one, but I seem to remember getting the bushing out by packing it with grease and then tapping a rod (same size as ID) into the old bearing - the lack of anyplace for the grease to go ends up pusing the bushing out of the bore.

At work (for different stuff) we used a bearing puller - sorta like a slide hammer but with jaws that grab the rear of the bushing - then you tap it out - slide hammer style. I don't remember if the GM starters have any room behind that bearing to allow this or not.

Good luck - nice to see someone willing to dig in rather than just order a new part.

4. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

answered my questions, thanks guys!

5. Rebuilding your own starter, good on ya!! Now adays everybody runs to the fucken' parts store, the only way to understand a part and how it works, is to tear into it.

Good luck, and by the way, if you don't have a growler, get the armature tested.-MIKE:eek::cool:

6. Use a dowel rod wrapped with tape to get a tight fit in the old bushing, and don't "tap" it, you gotta knock the hell out'a that thing (might want to wear eye protection, unless your eyes are due for a grease job).

7. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

All was going well, but I can't get the little ring at the end of the armature off. I need to get it off to replace the gear drive.

How do I get the little snap ring that sits inside the groove out?

8. squirrel

squirrel

It's a test of your skill.....you might try an ice pick (be very careful) or some fancy snap ring pliers (they'll grab on end of it but slip off the other end because the ring is cut at an angle), or a couple small screwdrivers (again, be very careful). Might try using some channel lock pliers to hold the end you did get from going back in the groove. If you don't bleed before you get the snap ring off, then you did it wrong.

9. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

I remember the first starter I rebuilt, still have the scars to prove it. The split ring on the end of the armature will be a "Communist Plot to piss you off" but with patience it will come off. Try to do it gently, or you will spend a lot of time trying to find it when it shoots across the garage.

10. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

Grandpa has some fancy schmancy ring pliers, but yeah - they kept slipping off. I thought 'there has got to be special pliers for this.' I'll do some investigating. It's about time I contributed a Tech to the board...

11. squirrel

squirrel

try to not have any blood in the pictures, I'm squeamish

12. There is actually a puller for those babies, but have no idea where to get one. The screwdriver and hammer method always worked for me. Don't be afraid of hurting that ring, it's a tough bastard! Oh and it will hurt you!!-MIKE:eek::D

13. squirrel

squirrel

Another thing I just thought of...make sure to polish the shaft where it fits into the bushing after you're done putting all that stuff back on. If you score the shaft with the sharp edge of the clip, it could eat up the bushing real quick.

14. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

My late uncle had a generator shop in Dallas for many years and he showed me his tricks on these starters. Put the armature in a vise and knock the outer retainer loose with a punch then take a square shank screwdriver and hook the edge of it on the ring near one end of it and pull and rotate the screwdriver around the shaft at the same time. It helps to hold one thumb against the end of the shaft while pulling. To reinstall it, slide on the outer retainer, slide the ring on and squeeze it into the groove as far as possible with a pair of plyers, slide on the washer, then take a pair of channel locks and twist the new drive up against the outer retainer, slide the old drive on the shaft gear end first, then whack it with a hammer while holding steady pressure with the plyers. It will pop right in.

15. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

Didn't I see a picture of a nail through your hand once?

I'll get on it this weekend and get back with the results.

16. zbuickman

zbuickman

getting that little ring off is easy put the amature in a vise and put a 1/2" (I think) socket on it and tap it lightly and it will come right off that clip. other than that follow the above post by lobucrod:)

Good luck

17. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, but there was no blood.

18. Dyce

Dyce

I've taken a tap that just fits inside the bushing and just run it in till it bottoms, then keep going till it pushes it out. Or a punch ground to a chisle point....

19. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

Ta-Da!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here is my tech on how to rebuild a starter.

Find mom and pop starter rebuilding shop.
    Shop owner asks "You want that rebuilt?", you say "No, sell me the parts. I'm gonna do it"
    Tear down starter.
    Take armature back to mom and pop shop.
    Tell pop you can't get the ring at the end of the armature off.
    Pop says "Get yer ass back here, I'm gonna teach you."
    You get back there.
    Pop teaches you.
    You say "Thanks a lot."
    Reassemble starter.

It was fun!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  20. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

on sintered bushings you can use ATF....put the bushing on the end of your thumb, fill with ATF and cover the open end of the bushing with your index fanger.....then squeeze your apendages hard as you can ....you will see oil appear on the outside diameter of the bushing

For all the squeamish folks here is a photo of where I accidently shot myself in the leg. enjoy.

Attached Files:

21. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

You can remove the bushing with the right sized tap. If a blind hole can drop a ball bearing in first to react the tap thrust.

EDIT: I should have put this comment here with my original post. A lot of people think an old thread should be left alone. However this thread was very relevant to my project and I'm sure it will continue to be for other people.

I noticed that no one knew the "tap trick" and since the purpose of the thread was hot to remove the bushings, this information was relevant and useful.

This is a good thread with a good title that will search well. I would advise others to add to this thread with more tips for future reference.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Tim likes this.
  22. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Hopefully, the OP got this little project finished, since the thread is 7 years old.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ancient thread but worth revisiting for those who may need to redo a tired starter and spend 10 to 15 $$ rather than pay to have it done or buy a rebuilt.
    I've got an old flat tip screwdriver that I ground one side of the tip round and sharpened the tip that I use to cut the drive end bushing out but I sure do like that tap idea. I wish someone would have showed me that one 50 years ago.