Register now to get rid of these ads!

Putting turn signals in a 5 3/4" headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robber grin, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Have anyone of you guys ever seen a turn-signal bulb mounted in the housing of a 5/3/4" H4 headlight??? I seen it done on King Bee's which are 7" diameter if I'm not mistaken.

I have a 60 C10 4 light grill and am seriously interested in doing something like this to eliminate & shave the stock turn signals on my 62 C10 hood.

Thought about going to the bumper, but I want to smooth it too.

I know this is not your typical HAMB vehicle... so I humbly apologize in advance...
    I just thought you guys would know if anyone did.

2. mustangsix

mustangsix

I have one set of 7" H4 reflectors that have "city lights" in them. Just a small 194-sized bulb on the bottom. With the headlamp off, they show up pretty good, like parking lights, but with the headlights on, they are too dim to be used as signals.

You might be able to use the same idea but with a bigger amber bulb to get a usable turn signal out of it. All it would take is to drill a hole and insert a socket in the reflector.

3. I'm thinking the same thing.

I've seen many different pigtailed bulb sockets...
    I was thinking some kind of right angled rubber 1/4 turn fixture might work out ok.

4. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Speedway Motors has a kit that will attach an amber bulb in a frame held in by the H4 buld.It is bright enough to be seen as a turn signal when the headlamp is on.

5. Those are neat.
    Thanks!

6. I also have 7" H4 Hella E-codes (w/city lights) in my 64 C-10.

city lights may work on a 4 lamp system though, since you wouldn't have your brights on when using a turn signal.
    I have seen Jags with city lights in the high beam lamp.

I have E-codes in my '62 Thunderbird and the light is incredible.
    (use a relay though)

7. skidsteer

skidsteer

Good thread, I've been holding off putting headlites in my '37 Plymouth project because I didn't want to drill holes in the body for turn signals. I'm going to check out that Speedway setup.

8. 54BOMB

54BOMB

9. 38mag

38mag

I just did a pair of 38 Plymouth headlights, I used Speedway's halogen conversion kit and picked up a pair of park/turn repair sockets at Advance Auto. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the reflector and snapped in the the sockets. I now have parking lights and turn signals. They show up great.

10. I'm leaning toward the 3/4 hole and bigger amber bulb / socket.
    I hope there's enough room in the smaller 5 3/4 headlight housing.
    Then I would need to cut out the bucket to accomodate the socket too.
    It could work.

11. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Just a thought but if you have 4 lites, put the turns in the high beam side? Maybe I missed the boat on this a little but how often do ya drive with the high beams on?