Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Putting a steel Tudor on a tci style frame ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dalesnyder, Jan 2, 2020.

1. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

I have a 31 Ford Tudor body with the original style subrails. It is going on an after market chasis similar to the one made by TCI. The very last body mount at the rear coilovers is about two inches higher than the rest of the chasis. What is normally done when bolting down the body? The factory frame was straight all the way back. I don't want to cut out the subrails in that spot. Any help or pics would be appreciated.

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've built a lot of A chassis with the same frame configuration as a TCI and had no mounting complaints or negative feedback. The shape of the frame is kind of an industry standard.

3. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

20200105_122353.jpg 20200105_122353.jpg 20200105_122349.jpg I hope you can see the difference in the level. With the body sitting on the last mount , the forward body to frame gaps are too high. If I cut the mount ear off , there is not much room to lower it the angle the frame is at. I really don't want to slice the sides out of the subrail and lose the little strength that's there. This is a full fender car too. Hope this makes sense.

Attached Files:

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

You still need to use the stock wood mounting blocks to support the body. The rear kick up you show in the pictures does look a little higher than the A perimeter frames we use.

5. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as I know there is no way to lower the body over a Zed frame with out modify the subrail unless the frame has been pinched a bit. I looked at my p and j catalog and in there frame the back mount is even with the top of the rest of the frame.

Phil

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I went out to the shop and checked 2 Model A Perimeters I have in stock and like Phil P said above the rear body tabs are even with the top of the main rails. Like I said above your rear kick up is more than most reproduction frames.

OFT likes this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Used a TCI chassis on a 32 Ford, worst mistake I ever made. TCI should have "C" notched the frame. I'm sure they were aware of the rear end"Bottoming" issue and malfunctioning brakes.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  8. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Here’s a pic of mine with a rear z in the rear
    frame. Look at my build thread on page 6 for more
    upload_2020-1-5_16-33-6.jpeg

OFT likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe you can just trim the inside flange and vertical off the subframe in the area of the tab? Not use the wood block, and the tab fits up directly inside the subrail where the block would go.

10. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Thanks a lot everyone, I pulled the frame back out and did some cardboard cutting.
    I decided to cut off the mounting tab and and fab a new lower frame mount.
    There is a 32 style gas tank mount that rides under the frame tab. If I notched the subrails then that would not fit.
    You know how it is, one decision changes three more down the road.

OFT likes this.
  11. prpmmp

prpmmp

Don,t take this the wrong way, If you just buy parts(yes they should fit) and they just bolt together then you are assembling a Hot Rod. What you are now doing is building a Hot Rod!! Keep updates coming! Looking good!! Pete

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Some how I recall seeing this style of chassis bracket in a catalogue or similar and wondered how it was going to work.
    I think the expectation is that what used to bolt under the subframe is now bolted on top of it as a stop gap solution, however it seems that they have not given any thought much as to how you get the subframe past the tag in the first place.
    I figure it could be possible by angling the body at the rear and lowering over those tags and then straightening up once past the tags.
    But we are talking about a body that ain't light to move around like that for starters.
    Cut the tags and work out a better solution after all we are hot rodders and that is what we do best...

OFT likes this.