Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Putting a Radio in an Old Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hardonsky23, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Hardonsky23

Hardonsky23

I am currently building my first ever hot rod ('56 F100) and i have ran into a dilemma. My truck is pretty traditional looking besides shaving all the factory emblems off and sporting modern chassis components. The goal was to make the truck look from the outside like it was hot-rodded mid-60's and will sport door lettering and such. I am a huge music fan and the problem i have is i want to put a stereo in it, but don't want the look of the god awful new designs out in the open for everyone to see. Does anyone currently make speaker grills or anything that would look "almost" like it's supposed to be there? Thinking of putting a couple small speakers in the kick panels and hiding the deck in my glove box.

camer2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. You might check out Custom Auto Sound. They might have what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen head units hidden behind what was or appears to be the cover of an under dash tissue box below the dash on a number of rigs. Flipped up it looks like the dealer installed tissue box my grandmother had in her 54 Chevy sedan and then in her 61 wagon.
    As for speakers in the truck, I'd just hide them out of sight. I don't like speakers showing where they shouldn't any more than you do. I built some little boxes that go down on the kick panels on my 48 that hold 6 inch speakers years ago that worked well but are too convenient as foot rests at least on the passenger side.
    These covers would be period correct though http://shop.kustomcarparts.com/Musical-Note-Speaker-Covers-Paintable-each-MusicalNotePaintable.htm

4. One issue you'll have is choice of media; if you want to use CDs, that will severely limit your choices. Custom Autosound will be about the only supplier with a 'vintage' look, but beware; their product reviews are uneven at best.

If you can use a Ipod, phone-based, or thumb drive music storage system, the choices are much wider. These guys (http://www.vintageautoradio.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=69) offer brand-new reproduction radios for various make cars (although not specifically for your truck) that could be adapted. Another choice is these guys (https://www.retromanufacturing.com/) who offer both custom-fit as well as more 'generic' vintage style head units. Last but not least, if you can come up with a OEM radio you like, there's several guys that can install new 'guts' in it, bringing it up to modern specs while keeping the exterior the same. Our very own HAMB member Radio Bill can fix you up here... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/am-fm-radio-conversion-w-aux-in.1002575/

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

there is a lot of stuff out there to suit early corvettes

6. trollst

trollst

What's a stereo? Never heard of one in a hot rod.

Budget36 likes this.
  7. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I go with retro radio for now, got tired of the other junk. Useing the redondo in my diamond t

8. squirrel

squirrel

I don't have a radio or anything in my Chevy II, but last trip I was on, which was a lot longer than planned, I stopped by Walmart and got a Bluetooth speaker, and set it on the dash, and connected it wirelessly to my phone, which has lots of music on it.

It's loud enough to hear it, and it apparently is designed to avoid hearing damage levels.

9. Budget36

Budget36

Lol..brought back some memories.

My buddy with a real quick '55 Chevy PU...I asked if the radio worked. He said "Race cars don't have radios"/....circa 1977 or so. Good times!

Hardonsky23 likes this.
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

There are radios that mount anywhere that use a remote control

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I own a pair Oakley Thumps, they are sunglasses with Bluetooth ear pieces and a microphone built in. I bought them for golfing by myself but they work well in the car and you can take calls. They only last about 2 hours so remember your charger.
    upload_2017-12-17_16-28-17.png

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

13. Hardonsky23

Hardonsky23

Thanks for your help y’all. Coming from a long music background, and playing in many bands, I’ve gotta have some kinda music no matter where I’m going or what I’m doing. Plan on taking the ol girl on some long drives when I get her done.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

And with the headphones you cant hear the traffic either..........

For a great sound and with the ability to play loudly, if wanted, check out JBLs Xtreme unit, it's got great audio range and clarity.

15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glove box...that's the ticket...

Cosmo49 likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Headphones can get you a big fat ticket, in most states.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I suppose you are right Gimp, so would no fenders, no exhaust, no seat belts, no bumpers, no signals, no horns, etc. The majority of hands free devices utilize blue tooth ear buds these days. But I'm not here to be combative.

In my profession, you are not allowed to bitch unless you have an answer to the problem.

It just so happens I have one queued up. Give me a moment and I'll post the reply as a thread and post the link here.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I somehow manage to have 4 6-1/2” speakers, and a 15" subwoofer, in a 1.3sq.-ft sealed enclosure, and 5-channels of amplifier, totalling about 2000w, all neatly tucked in my Falcon, and behind vintage metal grilles.

I am not okay with mono, nor am I interested in a system that cannot faithfully reproduce the artist's full intended effect

It has a Kenwood head unit now, which will be replaced with a Retro Sound one, when the body has been re-sealed.

20. squirrel

squirrel

How do you control the ambient noise in a Falcon?

21. With 2000 watts, what ambient noise? LOLOL....

Hnstray likes this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

80mil sound dampening material, covered with a 1/8" closed-cell foam decoupling layer, covered with 1/4" mass-loaded vinyl as an absorbing layer. Thin regular carped padding and carpet on top of that. Even the trunk is sound-deadened, as is the roof.

Quiet mufflers, too. Oh, and hand-selected low-rolling-resistance radials, that are known for low road noise.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

A Custom Auto Sound unit came with my 63 Impala. Its a complete POS. Save your money. Use an IPhone and a bluetooth speaker for quality tunes.

scotty t likes this.
  24. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG I had one Custom Auto Sound unit fail, they sent me a second and in 3 months that too failed. Never again.
    Went to a hidden head unit operated by remote with a USB drive. Simple.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Cosmo49 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the way you used the tuning knob as a door latch! That is thinking it through!

26. radiobill

radiobill

Check out my website:

www.Billtheradioguy.com

This is what I do. I can give you 4 channel stereo 180 watts with am fm and aux. A free 3.5 mm aux jack to plug a cd mp cassette sirus or anything else you wish to play through the radio. Your original radio keeps it's appearance and fit and know one knows. You can even have USB for your thumb drive and or hands free bluetooth to stream your music as well as making calls. It can be done on any 6 volt + or _ or 12 volt + or-. You will have virtual balance and fader with the operation of the tone control for set up and can have five lines out for external amp front and rear right and left & center subwoofer.

Radio may be sent to:

Bill The Radio Guy
    Bill Newman
    301 E Wallace Kneeland Blvd
    Suite 224-229
    Shelton WA 98584

Will be glad to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to call me at (360) 427 0513

Bill

27. Stooge

Stooge

I have one of these little units in an off topic c10 truck that i built a dash for and didnt want a radio face in. Works off of bluetooth or 1/8" headphone jack, is plenty loud enough with two 6x9's, just has a little wired remote that you can put out of site a bit to control volume, tracks, etc or you can control it on whatever media player your using. It just pairs up with my phone when i start up the truck and will start playing music, nice and easy.
    I bought it from crutchfield but amazon has it for considerably less now
    Kicker 40PXIBT502 2 Channel Portable Bluetooth Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E8F01RA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZtU3Ab41DE3CJ

Really small to mount under a dash or somewhere 20150616_111823.jpg

28. Canuck

Canuck

Getting ready to do a install in my Malibu's glove box. Planning a future A/C install that will take away part of the glove box. Radio installed now is in glove box but you have to open door to operate it, a real pain.

Solution I am going to use is a Pioneer head unit without a CD player and comes with a credit card sized remote control, it is only about 4" deep. Also a IR repeater with the receiver and the Pioneer Remote control mounted in the ash tray. Looked at units that use you phone as the control but decided that would be a pain to use while driving, as well as being illegal here. The Pioneer units have good reviews and run between $130 and $160 here in Canada.

The original AM radio is still installed in the dash and still functions with a "Y" connector in the antenna lead.

Not traditional and not as cool looking as KIWI's install, but works good and looks reasonable.

Canuck

29. Dirk35

Dirk35

I hid my radio in an overhead console that I built. I've never had a person that looks into the truck from the outside actually look up to see it. But once anyone gets in the truck, they always see it.

But you could also hide a radio behind a radio delete plate (which is where I hid my heater and A/C Controls). Just use the same idea and put a radio behind it instead. Not pictured is the Speaker Grille that goes under the delete plate. Hidden Controls 1.JPG Hidden Controls 2.JPG Hidden Controls 3.JPG Hidden Controls 4.JPG Overhead Console 1.JPG Overhead Console 2.JPG

I've also seen a radio hidden in the seat riser.

30. I was always gonna put a radio/stereo in my old beater just like I was gonna put in a heater but for the past 30 years I have moved both items from shelf to shelf and have procrastinated about the installation,perhaps 2018 will be the year I get energetic and make the commitment to have music & heat. HRP

chevy57dude and 72yenkonova like this.