Register now to get rid of these ads!

Putting a Chrysler Industrial Hemi in a 52 Dodge truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanBabb, Mar 14, 2010.

1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

On the exhaust heat risers, I had to block mine off on my Olds 455. It was always cooking the intake manifold. I tried the thin metal plates, but they wouldn't last too long. Ended up using a couple of cast iron plugs that Edelbrock sells. Worked really good & changed the exhaust sound.

I've heard of people using balled up foil & pounding it into the crossover passages

2. I gave up on the mechanical fan...even with the 6 blade one, it wasn't pulling enough air to stay cool. I wound up getting a Flex-A-Lite 16 pusher fan that pulls around 11 amps and installed it.

With the truck moving along the road, then temp stays around 195. I have the fan set to come on at around 200 and it seems to be working. The fan will turn on and keeps the temps in check. Then when moving again, it settles back into the 195 range.

The generator seems to be able to keep up with the power demands too. The volt meter reads 13 when it's running.

Because the fan is in front of the radiator, it blends in nicely and you can't really tell that it's on there...so it doesn't spoil the "cool old truck" look.

I also got the rear seat out and put some sound deadening material (peel & seal) under the front seat and along the rear wall behind the seat. I already had the floor in front of the seat done and was surprised at the difference. Sometime over the winter, I plan on trimming out the rear wall and headliner.

3. 73RR

73RR

Good to hear that you are still working out the bugs. They will be gone soon enough...;)

4. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

Keep it up brotha!

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Dan. I just read the first page. How did you come out vs. budget? :)

6. What's a budget?
    I stopped keeping track ages ago.

7. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have a 331 industrial with a oil controlled governer system. It came from Moisant Airport in New Orleans. The system is a very clever piece of enginering using engine oil adjusted by two small valves. I really hate to dismantle this motor but can see no use for the system.

8. I'm running a vac advance MSD distributor that I bought from HotHeads, so you're probably seeing that vac line.

My engine also came out of an aircraft tug and I still have the original distributor in a box, but I didn't think it would work well for automotive use. I though the oil line was some type of governor...but that's just a guess.

9. George

George

You get to the point you just don't want to know!:)

10. No kidding. Last week, I did think about figuring out what I put into the project. I have a big coffee can that I've been stuffing receipts in since I started.

I couldn't believe how much paper was in that can. I decided to just hold onto the big ticket ones and tossed the rest of them. At least for the big ticket items (like the Hemi rebuild), I'd have a record of what parts were used.

I was going to get adventurous and total them up...but by the time I was done sorting paper, I just didn't really care to know. So those papers found themselves back in the coffee can. The next owner can add them up if he wants to.

11. 73RR

73RR

Soooo, Dan...hows about a driver's report?? Is the fun factor what you had been hoping for? Overall satisfaction?
    Inquiring minds need to know how the project has performed....

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That has always been my system, too. Except I use a file folder. Nothing eve gets added up. I don't want to know.

13. Dezert_Racer

Dezert_Racer

I was wondering what size gauges you bought was looking at doing the same thing got to track down some bezels off e bay

14. I used the Classic Instruments HotRod series 5" guages. They were a perfect fit right into the stock trim piece. I got the gauges with the chrome stepped bezel and they look really good sitting on top of the stock Dodge one. You almost can't tell that it wasn't made for the truck.

I had to trim a little bit of the dash metal behind the gauge, but it's not visible with the gauges installed.

Here's a link to the set I bought.
    http://www.classicinstruments.com/gaugeselector.aspx?ProductCode=HR62SLF&SeriesCode=HR

Having the tach integrated with the speedo really drove the price up. In retrospect, I wouldn't spend the extra money again. A good timing light will also have an RPM reading and you can use that for tuning.

The gauge set comes with a control unit. I mounted that on top of the steering wheel/dash support, so you can't see it at all, but you can get to it to adjust the dip switches.

Head over to the new Pilothouse site...there are a few guys over there with parts trucks...you might find someone with a set of the trim bezels to sell. That's where I found 2 pieces I needed.
    http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/index.php?/forum/6-pilot-housecom-forum/

Gary...I'm still in need of tuning the carb. Just haven't had time to deal with it. The truck drives a lot better than when I bought it, but the tuning is holding back how it feels, so I don't drive it much. I plan to do a lot more driving in the spring though and I get a lot of compliments whenever I take it out, so overall I'm happy with it.

15. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

pilot house hemi WOW!

16. Got a question about the PCV setup.

I'm currently running the following.

Behind the intake on the valley cover, I have a PCV valve. That's connected to the vac port on the carb.

On the front of the engine, I have an oil breather on the oil tube.

Is that the right way to run a PCV? Do these engines need a breather on the valve cover?

Would putting the PCV vac line on the unmetered port on the carb bring too much air into the engine and the fuel mixture won't be right (or do carbs not work like that)?

I haven't taken the truck in for carb tuning (will bring it somewhere next week though)...but the throttle response isn't great and just wondering if the PCV is setup wrong.

17. George

George

That's how I have mine. I took the oil fill cap apart & replaced the steel wool with a cut down foam lawn mower filter & put the cap back together.

18. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

Yep, adding the PCV system will mean an adjustment is required on the carb as you're introducing a controlled vacuum leak, leaning the charged air. On later Chrysler V-blocks, the PCV valve was in a grommet in one valve cover, with a hose running to the base of the carb; on the other valve cover, a crankcase filter was in a grommet, with a hose running to the side of the air cleaner (forcing these fumes to draw through the air filter). This allows the combustible fumes in the crankcase that can rise to the top of the engine to be siphoned into the charged air stream. The PCV valve also acts as a safety check valve in case a backfire occurs through the carburetor. But its main job is to meter fumes into the charged air at variable vacuum conditions. The other line draws fumes at higher rpm conditions (hence the double filtration). The main idea is to draw fumes from the crankcase into the charged air stream for combustion; if you can plumb that into your Hemi then you'll have a cleaner running Hemi :cool:

19. rvanwie

rvanwie

Dan, I'm new here. Found this forum and your build thread from google. I also bought an airplane tug with a 331 in it and have similar plans for it. I'm still going through your build but would like an update. Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. George

George

Welcome to the HAMB & Hemis! 1st. Do an Intro in the Intro section @ the top of pg 1. 2nd. Put "Hemi Tech Index" in search & start , find the index Thread, & start reading!:)

21. Hello & Welcome.

Don't have any real update. I drive the truck once in a while and used it to move my daughter to her new apartment over in Chapel Hill, NC (she starts medical school next week).

I still have some things I'd like to do to it, but always wind up driving my other car (Factory Five Cobra replica) instead. Probably try to spruce up the interior a bit as a winter project.

Post up some pictures of what you have to work with. Love to follow cool projects.

22. I was wondering if you still had the Factory Five Dan.

I was at Whitby's Friday. I was at an apprenticeship competion @ the Colesium and dropped in to see Jeff.

You going to the Christmas party @ Whitby's this year?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  23. Rob J

Rob J
    from Miami, FL

Hey Dan, do you still have this truck?

24. Yes...still have it. Probably going to put it into an auction here locally in March (unless I sell it before then). I'm ready for a new project (no idea what yet) and need the space.

Still tinkering with it while I have it. The driver side window wasn't moving smoothly...been getting progressively worse...so I took that assembly out and am getting a better one to put back in. Changed the vent window rubbers while I had it apart.

It's running better than ever (adjusting the timing curve of the distributor helped a bunch).

25. remopar

remopar

Hi I,m new here .....followed your threads from the beginning. Bought a 331 Hemi (1956) dodge 2.5 ton truck. Sourcing out parts now...Nice work on transplanting Hemi in '52 Dodge.

26. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399093603.305203.jpg

The time has come to move on to another project.

My truck is on it's way to Tennessee. New owner has plans to hot rod it a bit with a new front suspension and a lower stance. Not sure what else, but if I get pics I will post them here.

If my next project is hamb worthy, I will post up a thread.

Thanks to all who helped me out and followed the progress.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Sparky52Dodge

Sparky52Dodge

Where did you find this master cylinder setup?

28. I tried to find the name of the place I bought it in my old emails, but no luck. It's a piece that's meant for a mid-50's chevy truck. Search for "frame mount pedals"...there are a lot of places that sell parts for old chevy's. I had to make some mounts to get it to work with the dodge frame. You can kinda see what I had to do in this picture.

The upper bracket is a piece of angle iron cut to fit the frame. The lower is a 2 pieces of flat stock welded together to line up with the lower part of the frame. Bolted in securely with nylock nuts. Very solid when it was done.

[​IMG]

Sparky52Dodge and DBruce like this.
  29. Sparky52Dodge

Sparky52Dodge

Heater. Original?

30. I had the original heater, but didn't reinstall it. It was in place and did work before I pulled the truck apart for the hemi swap.