Register now to get rid of these ads!

Putting a CAM in a chevy 261

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Agent009, Mar 4, 2010.

1. So...
    After collecting parts for a 1958 chevy 261, im ready to put it together.
    Havent heard it run, but it looks really good inside. Cylinders are nice, and the bearings plastiguage well. I was just gonna throw a freshly rebuilt head ive got on top and go. Ive gone this far into another 235, and a 261, and it worked out good, but thats as far as ive ever gone into a motor.

Dilemma....
    Well, ive ended up with a patricks 264 degree cam, lifters, and pushrods.

Opinions on this CAM?... (performance/mpg)
    What will it take to swap out the CAM?...
    Anything else i should do while im this far in?...

I will be running dual singles... Rochester b or strom bxov.

Any other bits of knowledge and advice are welcome,
    A

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

The 1955 Hot Rod article "Soup That Chevy!" has some info. Not specifically what you're asking, but good info nontheless. There's some stuff about which kind of lifters to use and stuff like that. The cam McGurk used is different than the one you've got. Just going by your numbers, I don't know how that cam will perform. Sorry.

I've been thinking about swapping cams since I learned my 235 is really a 261. I figure since I've got more than just a run of the mill 235, it's worth going all out. So I'll be following this too!

Here's the article...
    http://www.selectric.org/55chevy/soup.html

Maybe look around inliners too...
    http://www.inliners.org/

Here's some info on cam selection from Langdon's Stovebolt site...
    http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/howto/carbs.htm

Hope this helps some. I'm sure there will be others to come along shortly with some good info.

3. 6inarow

6inarow

If you have your choice, use the bxov's and take the rochesters and go out into the street and throw them as far as you can. then run and pick them up and throw them again.

the strombers are 10 times better

I liked the 264 cam in 261. had a 272 once too and that was too much for the street. but Heathen will probably give us the "truth" to this whole carburetion/cam thing

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The truth? The truth is, if you want your 261 to perform at its peak, it will need both a cam AND some sort of carburetion.

5. ^ Im running the pair of rochesters on a early 261 right now. They are a matching set, and rochesters are what i know, and i must say, ive gotten pretty good at rebuilding them. Ive got this pair almost leeekless, but my mpg (14) is not what i had hoped. I got better (16) with the stock set up.

Ive got 3 bxovs, they all look real good, previous owner said they ran as a pair, and in a tri power, but the #s dont quite match. They seem a bit more complicated then the Bs. Ive been thinking of throwing them on just to see what happens.
    There is a Bxov thread around here somewhere, i neeed to resuscitate it....

So, anyway, CAMs.....

Thanks for the links terd....

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've had good luck with Iskenderian C-4 camshafts for having a good compromise of power and streetability.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

.....plus, as far as Stromberg carbs go, the BXOV-2s will only fit intakes drilled for the smaller 216 style carbs. BXUV-3s are of similar design, but have the 2 15/16 bolt pattern that the 235/261 carbs used. To my knowledge, the only 235/261 intake manifolds that were drilled for 216 size carbs were sold by Nicson and McGurk.

8. Camshafts!
    Im not looking to go that far in...
    I just wanna know if its worth it to throw this CAM in, and what else i should do while im there.
    I assume i should change the cam bearings, and get a new timing gear.

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

....apparently not.

10. ^ I appreciate the advice.... Just didnt think about going that far.

Ya, i slotted my rochesters to fit my intake/exhaust set up.... Not really a big deal.
    Still though, not ready to do that to the BXOVs till im sure thats the route im gonna take.

11. Snarl

Snarl

The 264 will work fine and have some lope at idle. What trans and rearend gearing do you have?

Cam replacement is laid out in the shop manual...

Use new lifters
    Coat the cam and lifters with the proper lube
    Heat up the new cam gear before trying to install on camshaft
    You will need to take the old gear off to get at the spacer and collar that are behind it. You will need to reuse these parts.
    Alot easier to install the cam if the block is "standing up"

12. Use new lifters - check

Coat the cam and lifters with the proper lube - You meen the super zinc stuff, like ZDD plus?....

You will need to take the old gear off to get at the spacer and collar that are behind it. You will need to reuse these parts.
    Alot easier to install the cam if the block is "standing up"
    - THANKS!

Currently ive got the a stock 50 3 speed connected to a 53 powerglide.....

I dont think that 9 1/2 in clutch is gonna like it to much, it looks like a beverage coaster FFS, though the current one takes it pretty well. Still deciding between open drive line, the bigger early 50s truck clutch, or trying to find a beefy/racing 9 1/2 that will fit.

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

There were two different styles of heavy duty pressure plates for '38-'53 Chevy car flywheels (one was made by Auburn), but both have been out of production for years. If you could find a '54 car flywheel, you'd get the luxury of a 10 inch clutch and it would still work with the rest of the six volt parts.

14. ^ Sweeet!!! I would like to keep the 6v parts.
    I think i read somewhere that 54 3 speed transmissions are the toughest, and fully syncro... Maybe i can score both at the same time.

About this CAM, i do spend a lot of time under 3000 grand, maybe this isnt the move i want to make.

15. Snarl

Snarl

The '54 trans is a little better, but it is not full synchro. The mount is farther back on the 52-54 trans, so an adapter plate would be needed to put one in a 49-51 car. I'm working on such a plate right now, actually.

The cam lube I'm talking about is the regular stuff you get off the shelf or with the cam when you buy it, not that ZDDP stuff. Don't get me started about all the "experts" and their opinions about zinc...

The 264 cam isn't as big a deal as you think. maybe 10 hp over stock? idle is going to be around 700rpms. With a 2.95 first gear and a 3:55 rearend and 26"ish rear tires, it will be ok, but if you want more cam than that, switch to a T5 with a 3.35-3.76 first gear and a 3:70ish rearend.

A 9 1/2" in good shape should be fine.

16. Oh, ya.... Only 1st gear syncro......
    I neeed to write all this stuff down, my noggin is getting waay to full.

This CAM came with the ZDDP stuff, i think ill call patricks see if what he recommends....

The 264 does sounds like the best upgrade for a daily cruiser, and its good to hear a vote of confidence for the 9 1/2.

Thanks for the info...

17. Snarl

Snarl

1st gear NOT synchro...

Is the ZDDP stuff that cam with the cam for putting on the cam lobes and lifters, or to add to the oil? there's a difference...

18. Thanks again....

About the cam bearings. The manual doesnt say much about them.
    If they look good can i just put this new CAM in?....