Register now to get rid of these ads!

putting a 235 in the 50 have some questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DIRTYT, Dec 15, 2003.

1. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

so im allmost done putting my 235 in my 50 chev, man has this been one big pain after another. so since i couldnt get the waterpump kit for the swap cause im poor. i welded a "modified" smallblock chevy pump to it. but here the thing i cant run a normal fan now cause the new motor is a little longer. and my car is 6 volt. i have like 50 electric fans to choose from at my work but has any one tried to run a 12 volt fan on 6 volt power? my guess is it will just spin slower so ill have to just run a toggle and run it all the time? all so im having a problem with the throttle linkage if any has a pic of what the main rod from the gas pedal is suppose to look like please send it my way the last guy who owned the car i think bent it up to make the dual carbs work but its not working with the 235. all the bends are wrong. im running a offey intake with dual 2 barrels and a offey linkage with a center pivot rod. any help would be great. sorry for allthe rambling on and the poor spelling...

Bryan

2. Rocket88

Rocket88

Why don't you put a stock water pump in it?

3. Kustm52

Kustm52

What year 235? If it's a '55 or newer you don't need anybody's kit for the waterpump. Get a replacement pump (or use the one you have). Support the impeller on the backside, place in a press and press the flange that mounts the pulley downward on the shaft. Get a small block chevy waterpump pulley, and keep pressing and trial fitting until the belt grooves align. Cut off the excess shaft and you are done. Period. That's all there is to it.

The throttle linkage should be a slightly curved shaft, bigger on one end. the curved end fits through the floorboard, and the other end attaches to the bellcrank on the block. From there a straight rod (or slightly bent to clear the manifold) should run up to the dual carb linkage.

Hope this helps....

Brian

4. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

its a 1960 235. and from 55 to 65 they used a small bolt pattren on the flange its self what i may end up have to do is get a new pump and find a one groove small block pulley. they have a bigger pattren and then press the small blobk flange on the 235 pump. how i have it set up right now works (welded modified smallblock pulley) but sooner or later i need to change it out. but my main concern now is putting a electric fan on and trying to run it from the 6 volt system??? ill find out tommrow when i hook one up. o yea the car runs great by the way.... got it allmost done tonight thanks god im sick of messing with it..

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep, that's a $135 waterpump from Patricks. They don't want you to know that....that hurts the specialized parts sales. I think I gave 30 bux for mine at O'reillys auto parts.

Brian, I have the same problem with the Offy linkage. It looks like it will have to be modified. I am just gonna wait and put it back in the car then figure it out.

6. Kustm52

Kustm52

Why do you need the electric fan? Just curious...if you modify the pump the stock fan will work...

Here's a tip for cooling...The stock 4-blade fan dosn't move much air. After putting a/c on mine it wanted to get a temperature...took a factory flex fan off a ford 300 six, and trimmed the flex part down until it cleared the crank pulley. Then, used a six cylinder fan shroud off of a '53 - '56 ford p/u , with about the bottom 1/4 trimmed off. Fits perfect...and I was running about 195 with the a/c on at Mokan....

Brian

7. Rocket88

Rocket88

You shouldn't need all that stuff.
    When I did the 261 for my dad's car I used the stock water pump and did what Kustm52 said.
    Get rid of the stock small diameter pump pulley and put a larger one on. I modified a pulley off a 305 chev, you need to slow the water pump down a bit so it doesn't cavitate. I used the stock fan and am running a 160 thermostat, on a hot summer day it will creep up to 195 in traffic.
    It's a fairly stout little motor too, .060 over 10 to 1 pistons, fairly aggressive solid lifter cam and some porting and polishing on the head.
    [​IMG]

8. if u really wanna use a 12 volt fan on your 6 golt system u can just get a 12 volt to 6 volt voltage drop.there like 5 bucks

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

The only advantage to the electric fan would be in traffic. I may run one on mine just because of the stop and go traffic.

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Hey dirtyt, there tweren't no 235's in 1965, they done ceased production by 1962.

Fuck me I bought one of those expensive ass water pumps from Patrick's when I put the '57 235 in my '54.
    Too friggin' bad there was no HAMB in '98.

11. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

i know they stopped making them in 62 but all chevy motors used the same water pump flange. and i need to run a electric fan since it wants to hit the pulley but i think i solved that problem by unbolting the outer ring on the crank pulley so it should clear now just need to get a new water pump and another 350 or 305 pulley to slap on it. i got the linkage figured out u just have to play with it for a while to get the right bends u need took me about 20 min. i drove the car home from my shop today she runs good. but the float on the back carb is sticky and kept flooding it out at idle. i need to convert to 2 1 barrels instead of the goofy pinto carbs that the last owner put on the car. so if any one wants to trade? there like brand new...

12. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

i noticed on O'reilleys website they have a short pump now I am unsure of its direct bolt on with sbc pulley or not but I am in the process of adding this pump and pulley to run a manual fan instead of elect myself. they cut the radiator support and inner part of hood to run the blue flame motor in my fleetline...

13. I'm pretty sure he got it figured out. It was over 7 years ago.