Register now to get rid of these ads!

Putting a 1932 firewall into a 30/31 Model A?...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Feb 3, 2013.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Has anyone ever put a '32 firewall into a 30/31 Model A car or pickup, on '32 frame rails?...anyone got pics?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

i think it would look snazzy and would throw some people off. someone must have done it before. hopefully they will throw a pic of it up

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

Larry, do you still have your pick up (er,.... I mean "other 3 window") Project ?

Oh and another thing, there is an old lady in town that "Thinks outloud" She pushes a shopping cart with a huge collections of bags in it.... If you ever started collecting bags like ol' Betsy, at least you could have a Pick Up to move them around in.......

( I know the voices aren't real,...... But they come up with such great ideas !)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If it was a model a body on a stock model a frame I think you would still need some additional room for distributor clearance. Even with a short water pump a model a motor room fills up pretty fast.

I don't know, I guess a tape measure and mock up engine would tell the tale.

Don

5. Where there is a will there is a way,,I'm thinking that a Brookville firewall just might be easier that a stock type,,remember the 32 firewall steps back inside the cowl.

[​IMG]

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Are you dead set on building a Pick up Larry ?

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I thought of this for my brother's coupe. I was looking into a friend making one and calling it the MODEL A TEEN firewall. Would be recesses just like a '32 when compared to a model a and include the same beads. Not sure if it'll ever get done though....

8. josh highley

josh highley

I have seen a brookville flat firewall put into a 30 model a. Fit very well. I will see if I can get a picture.

9. josh highley

josh highley

Here is one shot. I can get a better picture later this week. That is a picture of Jack Strunk's car. He is doose32 here on the hamb.

[​IMG]

10. yngrodder

yngrodder

Im thinking Jo Kerr's from Indy coupe has one,

11. josh highley

josh highley

Jo's coupe has a reversed model a firewall.

12. hammeredt

hammeredt

Funny thing- Larry, you posted a comment about this subject on NVRRDUNN's thread. But that was back in 2005

13. Just shows to go yah that Larry's a little slow !!! ;)

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

too many years...too many beers...I can't remember Everything I post here...:p

kidcampbell71 and pat59 like this.
  15. Larry-an aquaintance of ours and A good old friend of mine said somethin about the interbreeding of deuce parts on model A'S a few years ago......
    something about bein a wannabe or such.......
    I personally think most of us are not that 32CULT-LIKE.... read that snobbish ,but I could be wrong....
    Myself I think there is nothin better than a model A with 32 shell and 32 frame,but again,I am hardly ever right.

16. Mo rust

Mo rust

I put a 32 firewall in my 30/31 roadster when I built it back in 1998 and I've put another one in the 30/31 sedan that I am building now. I think that nothing beats the looks of a 32 firewall and I'm surprised that you don't see them a lot more in 30/31 Model A's. They sink in rather than bulge out and give more room for engine clearance. I also flatten the middle of the lower part to be able to set the engine back as far as possible.

Attached Files:

17. so i'll bite how close are they in size overall
    tk

18. Mo rust

Mo rust

I trim off the front flange of the Model A hood shelf a 1/2 inch in front of the cowl band bead and I put the stock 32 firewall inside it so the 32 lip is what shows. I don't have to cut the 32 firewall at all other than cutting the bottom 1 1/4 inch off the 32 firewall feet and shortening them.

On the firewall that I am putting in my sedan, the front edge on the 32 firewall that originally held the 32 weatherstrip was messed up so I trimmed it off.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  19. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

This is so bitchin! There any more pics or info on this install?

Sergeant82d likes this.
  20. doose32

doose32

took a little trimming on brookville firewall, used heavy cardboard to make a template. but it will snap into the bead for the stainless cowl band and then welded. made my own feet. the 31 A400 body is set up for 32 ford frame. this way a stock dimension hood will fit , hood lip is not modified.

21. Mo rust

Mo rust

kidcampbell71 likes this.