Register now to get rid of these ads!

Putting 57 Chevy grill/fenders on 57 Ford bus?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Shakedown St., Jun 4, 2023.

1. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

I'm trying to make a Ford Superior bus look like a Chevy Superior bus.

During the 1950s, Superior made a line of school busses that were famously used in the Partridge Family television show.

I own a 57 Ford Superior (same body as Chevy). Only difference is grill, hood, and fenders.

I was curious if I buy a Chevy bus for parts, would the panels be interchangeable?

580F3E62-C683-4EF0-815B-EA42E69FD2B3.jpeg

A1B74FA6-25CC-4EBD-8D54-946518FAE77D.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Never tried it, but would guess nothing would bolt it, and after that nothing would line up. Even if you use a Chevy hood, you’ll be doing a lot of fabrication.

Deuces likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Besides, Fords have nice lines anyways;)

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Isn’t the Ford bus on a Ford chassis and the Chevy bus on a Chevy chassis? My understanding is the bus builders start with a chassis and cowl from the factory then build the body back from that.
    With that in mind, consider mounting C 30 fenders on an F350 frame.

Deuces likes this.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I don't think you need a whole bus for parts, any front clip off of a 2 ton big Chevy truck should work, and you'll probably need a section of the cowl to graft into the bus body so the hood and fenders will bolt up to it. If the wheelbase is the same, you should be able to swap the front clip from the Chevy onto the bus. You could make up a little of the wheelbase difference in the length of the cowl piece you use if it's not too far off.

Lots of old farm trucks around, shouldn't be too tough to find a front clip.

Okie Pete likes this.