Register now to get rid of these ads!

Putting 31 on the frame second opinion needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyjp, Jul 7, 2012.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I have an 31 coupe body that I have been working on. I have the subrails cut ready to channel and the body is suspended over the frame with screw jacks to get everything in position the frame is sitting on old tires, problem is the top of my frame is level but my rearend sits at an angle. I know my floor isnt level but when I try to level my rear axle everything gets thrown off because these tires are slightly different heights. In a perfect world it would be on the right tires now on a level floor. If my frame is level can I assume it would be ok to mount the body on the frame? I i know I could put jack stands under the frame instead of the tires but wont I be achieving the same thing? I need a second opinion

Started with this
    [​IMG]

got to here
    [​IMG]

heres where Im at
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Don't work off of the tires and suspension, work off of the frame. Put jackstands under all four corners and make sure it is perfectly level before you start. Otherwise you run the risk of it being not true.

Don

3. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

As it sits now the frame is level If I have jacks at different heights around the frame to level it isnt that the same thing? I think the buggy spring is pulling the rear up on one side but because the floor is un-level it cancels itself out.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, but you want to make sure the frame itself is immobile so it won't move at all like when you lean on it while working. It should be firmly sitting on some solid bases on all four corners.

Don

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I agree, get the frame supported on some kind of stands or table. Make sure it is level then work from that.

6. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

If its just the fact that it might move than I'm not worried about it Ive been moving in and out of this bucket with no problems and I'm not too clumsy! I have the new floor cross members mocked up sitting in place. I can get them welded up without anything moving. I just didn't want to shoot myself in the foot and have a bigger problem later needed a second opinion.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I guess what we are saying is that ideally your frame would be solidly clamped to a frame jig before you started the channel job, but in place of that you can do an acceptable job as long as the frame itself is blocked up solidly onto jackstands or blocks. You just want to eliminate the suspension from the picture entirely because it can allow the frame to move unless the frame is independantly blocked up.

Don

8. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Thanks Don I know what your saying but I have to work with what I got and a frame table isnt part of this equation. I'm building in a garage next to the washer and dryer not a shop with lifts and the such. I'm gonna go get the cross members tacked in.

9. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

if its an original frame, check it for staightness! last one i had, i could put an 8' level on top of the framerail, and stick my nosepicker in the gap in the middle.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Nothing wrong with doing it the way you are. I built my first 32 rpu on a dirt floored garage because that was what I had. As long as you trued up the frame and blocked it solidly, there is no need for fancy schmancy equipment.

BTW, you did a great save on that body.

Don

11. +2 on making sure the frame is not bent or twisted.

12. The pics show you already have the jackstands,just move the rears under your chassis rails,not your diff and level it up from there.
    I think thats all everyone is trying to advise,abit more stable and true.
    Your deal though.
    Good luck.