Register now to get rid of these ads!

Puttin' Perfume on a Pig...307 Tech?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Feb 20, 2005.

1. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Just read this thread, quite informative.
    Don't use 267 heads at all they are crap. They don't breath worth a darn.

I had a 58 Pontiac 2 dr sedan with a 311 in it in the late 60's and early 70's. I built it with a s/j 327 crank and a 64 283 truck block. TRW 0.030 over 11 to 1 307 pistons, heads were 461's fuelies and a L79 cam. Was a very peppy engine, ran 13.40's at the track with cheater slicks (quick in those days for a street car).

If I was to build it today I would use 305 Hipo heads and a roller cam. Use 1.94 int and 1.60 ex. Angle cut the heads, a good machinist will know how to do this.

A 311 is a 307 + 0.030 and a 316 is a 307 + 0.060

JMHO

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you want less power, bolt them on.

3. lorodz

lorodz

thanks for the info just picked up the motor before. its really clean the guy i got it from said it had very little power. im guessing the cam is gone
    on another note
    i got a bunch or parts, a brand new hei distributor,a brand new holley 600 carb with a rpm intake and carb spacer brand new gm starter all for 100 bucks i think it was worth it ..guy said its the origanal 68 307 from his chevelle.

4. 52Poncho

52Poncho

5. skullaero

skullaero

I just pulled the 307 from my 68 C10 and have been spending a lot of time going through these old 307 posts. Baby Blue, how did this turn out. I wish Fat Hack had finished this post. I'll listen to any exhaust comments. I'm guessing long small tube headers with 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 pipes??? What about h pipes and x pipes. I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous. Translation, not much! Bert

6. derbydad276

derbydad276

30 years ago when I was in high school I worked at a chevy dealer I bought a early 70's nova
    equipped with a 307 that was a traded in because it used more oil than gas
    used car manager sold it to me for $250
    I didnt care about the oil usage figuring Id rebuild it
    one of the line mechanics helped me rebuild it and gave me a set of pistons for it
    they were the 9 to1 slugs used in the 68 through 70 engines
    I also added a set of camel hump 327 heads and the hi perf 327 cam ( off the dealer shelf)
    the parts manger helped me out with a factory z 28 aluminum intake and I added a 600 cfm holley and rams horn exaust manifolds
    hooked it up to a close ratio T10 and added 3.55 gearsout back it wasnt the fastest thing around, but it would scoot !
    took it to Detroit Dragway once ran low 14's doing the 1 wheel peel through first gear !
    Im sure today with what I have learned through the years
    slicks, posi, electronic ignition , taller gears Im sure it would be a great bracket car
    running some where in the 12's

damn i miss that old rust bucket

7. Babyblue57

Babyblue57
    from Argentina

Well it turned out just pure fun. I still need to do some carb fine tuning but its another engine. My mechanic, who has pretty fast 350, wanted to buy me the engine. :D He was astonished by the power and fast rev engine, it get high rpms very quickly. Remember its pulling up a 57 Belair but its so much fun to drive. I think it still has more to give, we'll see after the carb/ ignition curve fine tuning.
    I'm very happy with the results.

8. VSO737

VSO737

QUESTION?

I inherited a built, in 1990, SBC motor. The BLOCK is a 1960 283CI and the INTAKE;HEADS and CARBURETOR are all 1968 307CI.
    I understand that in 1968 they went to new emission controls.

MY QUESTION-

¿Is the threaded piece shown in the attached photograph for the emission?

If it is, can this be plugged up since I have the VENT DRAFT TUBE coming out of the back of the '60 block.

Thanks,
    Mike:cool:

[​IMG]

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Just remember you guys running holleys to change your power valves to 9.5 .I know this for a fact ,I had a 307 once ....Jets can stay at 66 They only came with 2 barrels

10. BELLM

BELLM

VS0737 that is just a vacuum port, could be used for power brakes, vacuum modulator etc anything requiring vacuum. You can plug it if don't need a vacuum source for anything.

11. VSO737

VSO737

I suspected a vacuum source.......SOMETHING SO EASY and so hard to locate the answer.
    I will be tapping into it for my vacuumed distributor.

Thanks a bunch for the quick response,
    Mike

12. 71Nova307

71Nova307

I have a sbc 307 in my71 nova, it has a rv cam, flowtech headers and dual summit racing turbo mufflers. and other then that it has a 2bbl carb and is bone stock. besides replacing my intake what else should i do to get the most use out of a 600cfm 4bbl carb? is it pointless just to slap on the 4bbl carb without changing anything else?

13. 71Nova307

71Nova307

sorry, didnt mean to interupt the thread or change it up.

14. slammed

slammed

Making sure that you fine tune the carb (w/a vac. gauge) that the timing and advance are optimum as well. Quality cap (brass) and plug wires. Youtube has some very good hands on tech for those aforementioned tips if you have the need.

15. 71 Novas don't belong on the HAMB... it's pre-1965

and do an introduction here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

with the headers and a cam your 600 should work well

16. Deuces

Deuces

Any new 307 builds lately????....
    Let's hear about them....

17. DaveWms

DaveWms

I don't have mine built yet, but I'm glad I found this article! (I've been lurking here for awhile, but just registered to reply to this thread.)

I found a 1968 Chevelle Malibu in Colorado that was last registered and driven in 1985 (still has '85 Colorado tags on it).

It was a 307 with a 3-speed column-shift; I 've converted it to 4-speed, and added headers and dual Magnaflows.

When I (finally) got it started, (cleaned the tank, carb, replaced the plugs and wires), it smokes like a chimney! I'd like to keep the 307, but if it has to be rebuilt, I'll probably go with a 383 stroker.

It runs good, but I think the rings are stuck... any ideas?

Thanks

18. slammed

slammed

Are you sure what the cause of the smoke is? Color, continues, ect.

19. DaveWms

DaveWms

I've been asked if the smoke is white, black, or blue. I may not have a real discerning eye, but I'd say it was white. It's difinitely not black.

My oil is clear, and there's not a strong gasoline smell to it or around the carb.

I get clear, odorless condensate out of the tailpipes, and not alot of it.

When I was trying to start the car the first time, it appeared that one plug could have been oil-fouled, and another was a little oily, too. I changed all of the plugs.

Since it set for over 25 years my first thought was stuck rings.

The car fires right up and runs/idles well.

It still has the original heads/valves, so it was run without leaded gasoline for its last years of service. I don't know if that would affect the valve sealing enough to allow oil past them to burn?

Maybe the valve stem seals have cracked badly or disintegrated... I had a low mileage 340 Mopar that had been in a fire, (melted the carb and wiring) and it smoked bad. I replaced the melted valve stem seals on it, and that stopped the smoking.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

20. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

I've got a stock 307 in my Buick. It does okay, but I wouldn't pay a dime more for one than a 305 or 350 both of which you can get all day just as cheap.

If you are not racing under a CID restriction, take the displacement every time.

21. slammed

slammed

No Nebie^^^ It's not that kind of a web site. Vintage motors like the 265-327 are of the criteria.

22. slammed

slammed

Run a compression test on all cylinders. You may only need to freshen the heads.

23. DaveWms

DaveWms

Thanks

slammed: Run a compression test on all cylinders. You may only need to freshen the heads.

24. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Bringing this awesome thread back from the dead! I got a 307 for free from a farmer I work with. Came out of a truck with only 61k on it. I haven't torn it apart yet but his description of why they stopped driving it was "it started running funny like it had a miss to it, but the timing,plug and wires, and compression all checked out good". I can't wait to put my 305 vortec heads and a cam in it and see how she runs.

25. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Please let us know how it turns out, OP was unable to finish

26. Hmmm, sounds like the "soft cam" strikes again :D

Speed Gems likes this.
  27. I have a. 63 C10 fleet side. SWB with a 1970 Nova 5.0l 307 fresh rebuild, with mid/late 80s H.O 305 heads with summit valve springs+summit cam SUM-1785 and 1.5 aluminum rocker arms all so summit House brand. None hei distributor. Pro billet one with street fighter CDI box. with a 600 cfm holley duble pumper pro-comp "cyclone" dual plane air gap intake 1. 1/2 headman headers with H pipe and thrush 2 chamber Muffler's and 3.73 posi out back. Let me tell you this c10 for how heavy it is. This old girl move's cherping the rear tire's in every gear.I'm running a 74 Camero Saginaw 4-speed and its fun to drive. And or hammer down and try to brake the shifter in every gear..hahahahaha I raced a 57 Chevy truck with a 350 with mods done to it AT and 410 gears and beat him...I was proud of the little engine that couldn't....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    fattboyzz likes this.
  28. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I think I'm gonna join the 307 party. I scored a free one.

1)replace the shitty cam
    2)plastic timing gears

any other must-do's before running it?

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So to bring it back from the grave how'd it turn out flipper?

30. scotts52

scotts52

Glad I stumbled across this thread. I'm picking up a 307 for cheap to go in my 57 Chevy truck. It has less than 50k on a rebuild.