Register now to get rid of these ads!

Put what ever you want behind your Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Jun 17, 2007.

1. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Well guys, here another tech on how to put a T5 behind your Flathead, except this one leads to a lot of other opportunities. To start off, I’m running a Camaro T5 that has the Ford bolt pattern. This tranny has some nice ratios and under a .7 overdrive. As usual, it’s got an early S10 tail housing on it for the mechanical speedo drive and shift tower location.

So here’s what I did: I bought a Speedway Flathead to Muncie adapter, which is a lot cheaper than the real Offy piece that it’s copied from. I had my buddy mill 1/2” off of the engine side. This is because I bought another adapter to go from Muncie to a Ford bolt pattern tranny from Pat at Wilcap. A very nice piece too! Anyway, the beauty of this is that you can go to many things off of that modified Speedway piece. True, you can buy the 5/8” shorter adapter from Offy, but it’s the same as what I did for a whole lot less
    [​IMG]
    Well back to the milled Speedway piece: there is not enough room for a stock 3-Finger pressure plate to clear the inside of the adapter or the cross shaft either. Upon finding this out, I bought the shorter Offy piece thinking it would work. It didn’t work because like I said earlier, it has the same dimensions of my shortened Speedway piece. So I sent it back, and went with a diaphragm pressure plate. The case on the Mustang pressure plate that I’m using is 1” shorter, but it keeps the fingers close to the original location.
    [​IMG]
    You can’t use the sleeve that comes with the Speedway piece to retain the stock throw out bearing because it is too large in diameter and it will not pass through the fingers of the diaphragm.

So here’s what you do. If you start with a Mustang box, you’re one step ahead because you need to use that bearing retainer. Those bearing retainers have a sleeve for the throw out bearing that’s around 1.44” in diameter. If you have a Camaro box, have your tranny guy swap them out. Don’t worry, pretty much all of the parts are interchangeable. So now that you have the 1.44” diameter sleeve, pick up one of those common Ford throw out bearings matched to the Mustang diaphragm pressure plate. Even though the clips on the bearing aren’t made for the stock Ford arm, slip them over it. This keeps the bearing from ever wandering because it is always in contact with the arm.

2. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I had to add some material to my stock Ford throw out arm because the contact surface on the newer throw out bearing is about 1/2” narrower than the old style bearing. I just welded some flat stock on the insides and worked the face to match the rest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I reused the factory style return spring for the bearing as well. For the tranny side, I drilled the Speedway adapter and put an eye-bolt in it.
    [​IMG]
    On the bearing side, there’s a nice chunk of metal on the back side. I drilled it on both sides about 1/8”, and then bent up a hook out of a coat hanger. Popped that in the holes I drilled, put some tack welds on in to keep it in place and sprung it up to the eye-bolt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From here, I assembled everything. The pedal is extremely nice. I don’t have the body on yet, so I just pressed the pedal with my hand, and it disengaged with ease.
    [​IMG]

3. racer5c

racer5c

Nice post, tell us more about your engine, full flow filter etc.

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Genius, dude,, Great pics too!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Here's some info on the motor:
    59 AB
    Stock cranks and rods
    Stock flywheel with about 6 lbs shaved off
    .060 over with domed pistons
    Motor City full flow filter system
    Crower Cam
    Stainless Valves
    Johnson Lifters
    Zephyr Springs
    Offy heads
    Thickstun manifold with a pair of 97's

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Good info.

Mighta been cheaper to use the flat-plate adapter sold by a couple of guys & the early Ford truck 4-spd hogshead...there's your Chevy pattern...

Good ingenuity though - love the problem solving!

I added it to the T5 tech articles...