Register now to get rid of these ads!

Put some new wheels on the old turd!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luckys8ba, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

No bueno senior.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

On a gasser.

3. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

You guys have all twisted my arm, I will be putting red steel wheels and white walls on it so I can be like every one else. Thank you for the input.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

T-DeWitt and PFF like this.
  4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

and brakes.....don't forget the brakes. :)

BORRACHO13, Dooley and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's YOUR car. Do what YOU want. You asked for opinions and got them. Let me ask you, if you had done this, back before the internet, would you keep the tires, rims and no front brakes?

Yea? Then stand your damn guns! I'm not sticking up for your choice, but you're the one who has to live with it. So, live with it. I'm just confused, when I see people ask for opinions on what should be cool for their car and then they get pissed, when the answers not what they wanted. What the hell happened? People bitch about no individuality in hot rodding, then turn around and basically ask other people to build their car. "Is this color okay?" "Are these tires okay?" "Is this engine okay?" "Are these hub caps okay" "Do white seats make my ass look big?" Blah, blah, blahhhhhhhh.

6. :D ^^^^^so true^^^^ :D

7. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I've always heard that 70% of braking comes from the front wheels. With no front brakes you only have 30% of the stopping power you would normally have. When you are involved in an accident, you will be ticketed for driving an unsafe vehicle and you will really be opening yourself up for a lawsuit if you injure someone. The drag cars from days gone by that had rear only brakes had a lot more "shutdown" area than you will have on city streets plus a lot of them had parachutes. Do whatever you think is best.

clem likes this.
  8. clem

clem

Glad that I live (and drive) in another country ! Re 'no brakes'. That is why we have certification over here, because not every one is responsible in their decision making process, thus sometimes endangering the lives of others..........

9. clem

clem

Exactly !

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

On serious note, I don't think the wheels do much for the car, brakes be damned. You nailed the stance though. If you're leaning towards a racy look (which it appears with the black wheels & spindle spokes) I'd venture a mix/match setup like some did in the era. Chrome reverse rears, torque thrust D's on the front would look pretty damn racy. Or a complete set of either/or would work too, and kick the car up a big notch IMO. The brakes, well that's your baby.

11. Brakes are my business. In a even moderately hard braking event, you WILL lock up the rear tires. When that happens, you will get the surprise you didn't want of swapping ends while in traffic before you hit something. VERY DANGEROUS. Sliding tires don't have the adhesion of a rolling tire. Rear brakes can be overlooked, but not fronts.

PS... the wheels look OK.

Steve

12. Fred nailed it! HRP

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Here in NY, thankfully, you cant pass the annual State inspection without front brakes. Not sure how it is in other States though.

14. silent rick

silent rick

let's see it without the fenders

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

No front brakes..................how cool is that?

16. I love your Coupe (minus the spindle mounts) and the lack of front brakes, and I sincerely hope that you were just messin' with us.

17. Danny you and me both. I actually put a lot of miles on my pan sans front brake and was the road rash king more then once. I even had a 12 spoke on it for about 15K miles. Now I am old and don't heal as well, my old Shovel has 2 front brakes and a fender. :D

Frank the nominal number is actually 60%, but it all depends on how the car is set up a car that sets high for instance will use more front brake as it dives and unloads the rear wheels when the brakes are applied. Obviously all that goes out the window when you have no front brakes because your front wheels are not trying to bind up and you don't dive as much, so in theory you won't unload the rear wheel as much.

All that said luckys6ba, we all are going to have an opinion. Some of them are conjecture and some are based in fact.

The fact is that you are not going to have the stopping power that you would have if you had front brakes, but also fact, with the bicycle tires up front your stopping power would be less than with a fat gummy radial anyway. So tire choice alone it almost cancels out, almost being the operative word here. At any rate you are going to have to establish a different driving style than you would if you had a more main stream car. Keep your distance from the car in front of you for instance, drive way more defensively as in almost granny defensively, and things like that.

Opinion wise I personally don't like the look on your particular car. Granted my opinion is probably not what you wanted but I am honest when dealing with others and at least you will always know where you stand with me. With the fenders gone the wheels would be a little easier to swallow, polishing them would be even better then you would have the '60s show rod look.

At any rate, I do like the wheels and it looks like you like them as well. I don't personally care for the current application, but I would not go so far as to bad mouth your car. The fenders are not welded on maybe try removing them and see if you develop the same opinion as I have, if not then bolt them back on.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  18. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Your kiddin right?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. I love 12 spokes, and would like some for my Model A. Sell them to me and I will run them WITH FRONT BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. 231ramona

231ramona

Love your coupe. Back in the late 70’s I had a chopped, channeled, and fenderless 31 and the front brakes were dragging. Being a 20 year old dumb-ass, I decided to disconnect them until I could figure out what was causing them to drag. The first time I had to stop, the rear wheels locked up immediately and I went off the road and down an embankment at about 60 mph. No serious damage to the car but I sucked about a yard of red crushed-velvet seat upholstery up my ass. In typical 70’s fashion, the inside of my coupe looked like a coffin lined with the same material my prom tux was made out of. My point is, while I love 12 spoke spindle-mounts, driving on the street without front brakes can make your ass hurt.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah...no front brakes...Hot rods or Harleys, no front brakes?
    Music to shovel HEADS to!

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I love the look of spindle mount 12 spokes, but on certain cars, and not on the street. They're very cool wheels, but the combination of them, and the skinny motorcycle tires just isn't a good look on your car; at least to my eye.
    I love your car, and the stance in general! I'm not a red rims and wide whites guy either, but I could like a lot of other options for a full fendered coupe!

23. 327Eric

327Eric

I like the car, I like the look of the wheels, they go well with the car. The lack of brakes is a fools errand. Driving around here is a death sport, I would want all my stopping power.

24. silent rick

silent rick

[​IMG]

no front brake jockey shifted pan. but then, i'm crazy and stupid

25. silent rick

silent rick

i wouldn't run the spindle mounts on a full fendered car. giving up the weight of the brakes but keeping the fenders don't add up. never meant to be.

26. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Please remove your fenders and take the next photos from the burnout box at your local strip. This is the only way to redeem yourself...

A Rodder likes this.
  27. Rick, what't the pan weigh? When it was new dressed it tipped the scales @ 700 lbs, everything chopped off maybe 550 to 600? You have one brake for 600 lbs., the coupe has 2 brakes for 2500 lbs. ( give or take), that is one brake for every 1250 lbs. You have a 12" (?) ventilated disc, the cars has probably 2 9" drums. The math is pretty simple.

Nice mix of early and late model bits on the old slab side by the way.

28. jho

jho
    from Omaha

I THINK ITS FUCKING AWESOME !!!!!!!

29. R&C featured the near-twin to this car back in the early 60s; 12 spokes in front with no brakes, five spokes in back, and a brown/gold metalflake paint scheme. It was even posted in a recent thread.

Traditional? Yes. Safe? Well....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.