Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Put My 1955 Hydramatic in My 1957 Pontiac Safari Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by theold52, May 28, 2018.

1. theold52

theold52

Hey guys. I hope I am posting this in the right forum. I have a 1955 Pontiac Chieftan and recently changed out the 287 and stock hydramatic (no park), with a fresh pair of the same units. Nice bone stock combo. 50lb oil pressure on the road.
    Today I bought a 1957 Pontiac Chieftan/Safari four door wagon. Very clean. Three rows of seats, all doors open and close perfect. No engine/trans. This year ran the 347 with dual coupling hydramatic with park. I want to bolt in my dual range hydramatic and spare 287 just to drive it around while looking for a 389.
    As I understand, the engine mounting should be identical(55-59). Will have to modify the driveshaft for the trans regress. Think I am going to have any BIG issues regarding the shifter/trans? Or just modify a few things with the shift rod. The wagon has power steering which I don't need and a rare power brake servo. Appreciate any advice from you Pontiac guys.
    Thanks, Robert 00Y0Y_8bqtIhXtKsy_1200x900.jpg

Gotgas, j-jock, Bowtie Coupe and 4 others like this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Nice find!! Love the looks of it.....Nice color, tinted glass.....

Ray

3. e z i

e z i

No advice, but I dig your wagon!

4. BJR

BJR

I always thought all the Safari wagons were the 2dr Nomad style, as I had a 57 Safari 2 dr Nomad style. Never new they made a Safari 4 door wagon. That's a very nice looking wagon. Edit I'm talking 55, 56,, 57 years only. Same years as the 2 dr tri five Nomad production.

Last edited: May 29, 2018

5. theold52

theold52

The '55 Safari 2 door was almost identical to the '55 Nomad 2 door. Had the front hood waterfalls.
    From '57 on for a few years all the Pontiac wagons were "Safari" wagons until the Catalina I think.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not sure if I correctly understand your post, but Pontiac made the Nomad style 2 door Safari through the '57 model year.

Ray

loudbang likes this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm a "Wagon Guy", if you will, so your car (s) got my interest. I always liked Pontiac's NO beltline trim on their models, while Chevrolet used it. I also like the rear, side window , vent windows Chevrolet also did't use. I like the 55 and 57 Pontiacs, the 56's, not-so-much (?); but I'm a complete 56 Chevrolet fan. Why not step up to a 455 and TH-400 on one of the Pontiacs? Might as well have one killer car on the strip. I do like your 57 Pontiac Wagon!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

mcsfabrication and loudbang like this.
  8. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Love those wagons and ditto on the 455 but I would the go the 4L 60 or80e to get the overdrive......they also make some kick ass programmable shift ecms that will be way fun. Nice ride

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  9. buds56

buds56

You will need the driveshaft for the slant pan hydro and the trans crossmember out of the 55,
    55's have a one year only exhaust manifolds, the difference being a smaller outlet to the exhaust pipe.
    These stick out to me as I had a 55 parts car when building my 56

loudbang and 302GMC like this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Throttle pressure linkage from the '55 would be a great help.
    The '55 & '56 Safaris were top-of-the-line 2dr style only. The entire line of '57 station wagons except the cheapest are all called "Safari." The 4 dr "Transcontinental" is a shock the first time you see one ...

loudbang likes this.
  11. theold52

theold52

Appreciate the replies. The '57 has its' crossmember intact with the car. Perhaps I can put it up against my '55 Pontiac and see what mods might be necessary in order to use it. Looks the same at first glance. Haven't measured yet.
    The '57 has original driveshaft included. If it is length only that would be easy. My 287 engine has linkage rods and brackets for the slant pan. Of course, now you got me thinking, with that talking about the 455.
    I also have another slant pan with Chevy torque converter and bell housing from a 348 motor. It needs going through. But these are a fun and easy trans to rebuild.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Going to a later V8 in these is a bear due to steering clearance issues for the exhaust and the need to have mounts that, if run directly sideways to the frame, would end up in the upper A-arms. Some guys have even put the motor in offset to the right side a bit.

You can go to a Saginaw 605 steering box and maybe use a G-van column shaft (has 2 u-joints in it, is cheap) to get around whatever manifolds you'd use.

Then you have to decide how you want to do the brakes, the old deal under the floor with the servo or update to a dual chamber and maybe put it on the firewall where it belongs.

All these things are reasons why my '57 has never been touched.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  13. J Dallas

J Dallas

Nice. I am curious about your hydramatic and 347 combo. Did you use the 55-56 trans, flywheel and bell housing and bolt up to the 347??

loudbang likes this.
  14. Packrat

Packrat

No help here but I love that wagon

loudbang likes this.
  15. Rich S.

Rich S.

That’s correct ,2 door only and the Safari script was mounted at the top rear of the rear qtr.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  16. speedshifter

speedshifter

loudbang likes this.
  17. speedshifter

speedshifter

old52, In 1962 I replaced the controlled coupling stock Hydramatic in my 58 Pont with a 1955 Hydra. At 78 yr old memory is a bit foggy There is a crossmember directly ahead of the trans oil pan, I had to narrow it front to rear direction to clear the 55 oil pan. spliced yoke & front of 55 driveshaft to 58 driveshaft, this required a spacer collar as the diam of 58 shaft is much smaller than the 55 shaft, used a 55 throttle linkage. It really perked up the old Chief. Greg

loudbang likes this.
  18. speedshifter

speedshifter

loudbang likes this.
  19. speedshifter

speedshifter

old52, Thinking back probably the previous thread won't apply much to your 57 Pont. 58 was the first yr with the infamous X frame. Greg

loudbang likes this.
  20. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I'm thinking the Nomad style Poncho was called a Custom Safari and the four door was called a Safari.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Nice looking car. I have a regret that I didn't buy a Canadian 57 Ponco 2drhtp that came with a dual quad 283 and 4 spd, so everytime I see a nice 57 like yours, I have pain. I don't know about the US, but the 57 did not seem to be a big seller, so it is very uncommon to see them nowadays.
    I don't have any info for you, but did want to complement you on your find.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  22. Todd553

Todd553

Your engine mounts will be the same. If you use the 55 287 and slant pan hydro you will need to use a 55 drive shaft or shorten the 57 driveshaft. No modification is needed for the tunnel if you use the slant pan hydro. The rearend is different as well. The 57 has the better rearend. I'm not sure about the shifter mechanism, but I dont think that will be a major issue. A 55 cross member for the trans will also bolt right in. I think I have an extra 55 cross member if you can't find one. I put a 1959, 389 in my 57 and used a B&M slant pan hydro.

23. J Dallas

J Dallas

I have a few of the slant pan and straight pan hydros and would like to put one behind a 347. Can you tell me the setup you used for flywheel and bellhousing?? Also looking for the harmonic balancer for the 347. Is there another balancer that will work if the rotating/reciprocating assembly is machine balanced?

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  24. theold52

theold52

So, I had a 287 and a rebuilt slantpan hydro here. I replaced the mains with the motor out, and the freeze plugs, and timing chain/gears. I used a 1955 cross member for the trans. It fit perfect on the frame. Trans was freshly built I was told, but I pulled out the front servo and pump and replaced the leaking seal. Made a tool to adjust the front band, and adjusted it. Bolted the trans to motor and slipped it in. The motor clears the power steering unit by 1/2". No, make that 3/8".
    Locksmith made a key for the stock ignition. All fluids in, and bingo, fires right up. Sounds good.
    Driveshaft next. My 1957 driveshaft is too short. Wrong splines. Ordered a '55 driveshaft with slip yoke from Desert valley. The yoke has some play on the trans shaft. Side to side. I thought it would be a tight fit. Went under my running '55 Chieftan, and sure enough, I can rock that shaft/yoke side to side a bit too, so that must be the fit. No experience here. So now, I can install the 1955 drive shaft with the 1955 slip yoke, but am thinking I will have to go to a driveshaft place to see if I can have them adapt a 1957 u joint to the rear. I don't know if there is a conversion joint. If anybody has been here and has any tips, I would be much obliged. Getting close to goin' for a drive.!

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  25. theold52

theold52

Oh yeah, The shifting is nice. I used the '55 linkage. P is n, goes through all the gears nice with the indicator a little off for R.

26. theold52

theold52

I was able to move the car on its' own. Turns out the 1955 driveshaft is too long. So I had bought a 16 spline yoke off a bid site. It had the same size U-joint as the '57. It was sold as GM casting #5670053. No idea what it's off of. Thought I may as well try it. Fits, but goes just to the trans seal. Needs about 2 1/2" more length. So tomorrow I will go to a driveshaft shop and see if maybe they can weld that extra length by cutting it off the '55 yoke.
    As far as bolting a 347 up to a hydro, I believe you just need the '55 flywheel. Or early '56. From what I have read, all Pontiac motors '55 through '59 have the same bolt pattern.
    So I am getting there. Brakes, registration and I'll be good tp go. When I hooked up the battery and opened the door, the dome light came on. Jeez, what next?
    I will run this combo until I find a 389. It should also bolt right in.

27. Todd553

Todd553

You are correct, the 347 will bolt up to the 55 slant pan. You need the 55 bell and flywheel. I have a 59 389 with a 55 bell and flywheel, backed by a B&M slant pan hydro. Just FYI, on those hydro's reverse acts as park once the motor is shut off.

28. theold52

theold52

Yes, I noticed that when I rebuilt my first hydramatic, a '52 flatpan. There is a pawl that falls in to place and locks it up. I like the dual range hydramatic. Real strong.