Register now to get rid of these ads!

put down the Pucheen; no more Absinthe; its a BANGER'in new year! viva la 4!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Jan 1, 2007.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whilst suffering from severe hallucinations brought on not so much by excessive alcohol consumption, but more likely by the mixing of almost every thing that is naughty for the liver... i swear the concoctions that i consumed would be better used in a race car, rather than my inards

So now on to the topic at hand, WHATS BANGIN?!!

I have been out running my T around this winter...in the following pic is a nice afternoon jaunty, it was a balmy 34 degrees here. It was so cold, that the intake kept turning to ice...which leads to the next project for the year: a new body, i give in, it will be a full body with a hood, cowl, and sides!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! and remember, real men only need 4 exhaust ports! :eek: :D :)

[​IMG]

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Damn that looks like fun, Happy New Year.

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and as inspiration, for us, the lovers of the mighty four holer: i include a picture of the most inovative and widely copied engine design in the world:

[​IMG]

4. McKee

McKee

More Peugeot pics please!

5. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

those wheels are rad!!

6. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Another month gone? Heavens, where does the time go? Happy New Year to all you banger nuts.
    Made a good start on my winter jobs this last month. I pulled the banger out to sort out the rear main oil leak and, well, things have just snowballed a little.
    Never liked the stock transmission. Poor ratios, weak, no syncros etc etc...I've wanted to do something about it for a while but preferred the idea of a 4-speed to an early Ford 3-speed, so here's where I am with that....
    Managed to mate a mid-'60's 4-speed Volvo trans to an AA bellhousing.
    [​IMG]
    Dead easy, great trans and fits a treat. More on this swap as it progresses...

Something else I've wanted to do for a while is a bit of work on the valvetrain, so I've installed oversize inlets valves (with one-piece guides) and ported the block to suit.
    [​IMG]

I'm now getting it all ready to drop it all back together.

7. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

No progress on my banger, just research. I changed the oil yesterday and she keeps on chugging happily. I have spoken to Joe Panek of roto - faze and he said he has oversize cam blanks for the model a and b (3 or 5 main bearing) . If my memory serves me, up to .500 lift. I also talked to Don at chet herbert cams ( to grind a custom profile) and it seems very doable and exciting. We are talking about a $700 cam though. That'll be part of the evolution of my ohv conversion. I'll dial it in with the stock cam first. I am on the fence over a roto faze dizzy or Ken from the hamb's BMW dizzy. I visited his house and he showed it to me, very cool and the price is right to duplicate his setup. More later.

8. TV

TV

We are using a Roto faze on the Bonnaville Banger car and are very happy with it. We needed to shortin it, to drop it down for hood clearance. I don't wish this on anybody. It was a real mess, that thing has more gears and springs than outa be in anything. But we got it done, and it works fine. This is a very good Dizzy.--TV

9. I know where your coming from with this cam.

The only point of going to all that effort is for it to be a roller cam. When thats the case the hard part isn't the cam but what would be used/made/modified for the roller lifters and the block work that would then follow on from that.

The over-sized Roto-faze cam blank is definitely the way to go as a starting point.
    I spoke to both Jim Brierley and Bill Stripe in regards to grinding a roller cam and both were very keen.
    Jim told me that there is no real need to go to all the effort to design your own grind (Which isn't a practical proposition anyway.) because there are many roller grinds readily available from the established cam companies like Crane Cams and the like.

10. Unlike Artiki who is steaming ahead with his build mine is a case of one step forward and two steps back.

The only parts of my engine I have left in my possession at the moment are the Winfield head and the sump! The block, crank, old cam, new cam, timing cover, valve cover and main caps are currently distributed around the UK and my intake is with TV in California!

The machine shop is dragging their feet something rotten which has been made worse by the Christmas/New Year Holiday.

The only show and tell this month is my new flywheel.
    Its an aluminium Wilcap flatty V8 one.

[​IMG]

It came drilled for an 11" truck clutch which apart from being complete overkill, I didn't want to go to all the effort of a lightweight flywheel and then kill it with the addition of dead weight in the form of an 11" pressure plate!

This is a side by side comparison of the V8 flywheel and 9" pressure plate against a lightened 'B' flywheel.

[​IMG]

11. Wildfire

Wildfire

No progress on the motor yet, I'm planning to buy parts next week and assemble it by the end of February. Brent's been a big help during the planning and we've got a good recipe cookin'!

The plan is: Winfield head, Riley intake, dual 94's, FSIgnition, oversize valves, cam (not sure yet) and either a 4-into-1 header or lakes style. All this will be backed up with a T-5, if I can get a hold of Graeme at Macs Speed.

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. brawler500

brawler500
    from Roxbury NJ

I just picked up a new project last weekend and it looks like I may have been bit by the Banger bug. I was told this A was converted to a doodlebug during WW2 and was used to tow parade floats, etc. Spent the week learning about Model A engines and cleaning about 20lbs of corn and other seeds that were packed into the engine, rebuling the distributor, and cleaning the carb. Got the engine started today and it seems to run good. My plan is to install an original rear, lengthen the frame, and drive it around while I build a boattail body for it. One question I have is what make and model of the carb?

David

Attached Files:

14. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

That carb looks like a tillotson(sp) replacement. I dropped one of those once in the middle of a rebuild and warped it useless. One drop, no shit. The original zenith would be a cast iron carb. I think when they ran out of zeniths at the auto parts store the replacement was that tilloston. I think it's a wee bit faster than a zenith. AWESOME Thread by the way.

15. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

On the aluminum flywheel; How light is too light? I have an 8lb V8 flywheel I've been wanting to use. The pressure plate will double that. I would also like to see what you do to make a starter work with it.

Attached Files:

16. I believe its a case of what your willing to live with in regards to drivability rather than a magical number.

I've got information on several different ways of making the starter work. I think its going to a case of suck it and see when the time comes.

17. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Refresh my memory on what you do about a starter when you use the V-8 flywheel. Mike Hart (now deceased) 'splained it to me one time but many moons have passed.

18. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

That carburetor is a "Marvel" sold by Sears as a replacement back in the day. They are great carburetors if they are in good shape.

19. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Nice flywheel, Clark. I bought a hemi to powerglide adapter from Wilcap a while ago and it was superb. Very well made.

20. Well - basically the bendix is reversed, and the LH spring is replaced by a RH. A support bearing fixed in the bellhousing to pick up the end of the motor shaft is a good plan too.
    Haven't done it yet, but planning to for the B engine...

This end? Replaced the 14.9 with a 24hp in the Fordor, all stock at the moment apart from a lightened flywheel. That's about it for now till I get the roof sorted.

21. McKee

McKee

22. Brent,

I've emailed you the article from secrets to your HAMB email.

23. Jalopy-Phil

Jalopy-Phil

I am planning on converting from a zenith to a down draft carb and fab’n an intake. I have a Holley 94 sitting around. Has anyone used this set up? Pros / cons?

24. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

I never take pics, but I spent Christmas day replacing my head gasket. After my valvetrain inspection revealed no problems, I pulled the head, and sure enough she was missing a chunk between 3 and 4. I've driven her only a few times since, been too cold and snowy.
    Amazed that it ran, idled, and hit 50mph with a blown gasket.....

Also threw on some original A chrome headlights, they have the adapter ring to run a 7" bulb, but is there a way to run a original lens with a halogen behind it? I want the look of the huge light. :D

Next project will be to finally INSTALL my distributor, time to get some real spark sent to this motor.

25. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I ran a 94 for a few years on my banger. It was 'okay' but I was never totally happy with it, though I expect that was more because the carb itself had led a hard life before I got it.
    You'll have to fiddle and dabble with jets and power-valves to get a set-up that suits your car.

26. Jalopy-Phil

Jalopy-Phil

Is there a better candidate for this conversion? I am running a stock motor for now , plans for mild hop up in future (high comp head-6.5:1 , modern distributor and ignition).

27. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

Finally got to start work on the Phaeton over Christmas.
    Painted the body, and rolled the chassis into the workshop.
    Pulled the motor and dropped the oil pan this weekend the babbit seems ok so she is going back together as is. Flywheel is going to be lightened and fitted with a 9" V8 clutch (hurry up Bob!)
    Sourced a B Intake that is downdraft off some sort of stationary engine, going to fit my 81 and a vintage Mallory.

Question how does a huge family of mice or bats get into and live in an A bellhousing?When I pulled the motor it smelled awfull, the belhousing was full of vintage shit, but I couldn't see any way the little bastards could have got in.
    Rich

28. Well - made some liitle steps on the ol' Fordor.
    Pulled the 14.9 and popped in a 24 horse that I bought on a whim over a year ago. Fingers crossed, it came from a "running car" - a little bit of fettling on the nearly new Tilletson carb and it fired right up. For now, completely stock except for a lightened flywheel with the stock clutch. Feel cheated as a 14.9 should have <b>had</b> a factory lightened clutch. Still - even though the body is a bit shabby, mechanically this old shed appears very sound. The front wishbone still had the machining marks on the locating ball! As had the clutch face. Still - I wouldn't have driven a 14.9 all that far either.... Oh - sorry, just realised I mentioned all this earlier. Still here's apicture to show how close the carb is to the steering box - until I get round to sorting a downdraft. Dropping the axle next for a final drive change.

[​IMG]

And - out in to the daylight to turn round and start on the other side. Notice the delightful interior - a colour that goes with, well - nothing! I'll get a crate of beer in for anyone passing with a paint scraper....

[​IMG]

Hey Darren, you'll need one of these soon?!

Outback likes this.

29. Your wasting your time with that 81, its going to be massively under carbed.