Register now to get rid of these ads!

Put a 235 chevy head on a 218 dodge????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyWoody28, Apr 22, 2010.

1. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

This might be crazy, but whatever. Can this be done, or do you need one of the longer chrysler desoto blocks???

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. louie the fly

louie the fly

Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good engine by putting chevy crap on it? lol Isn't the chev OHV & the mopar a SV? How would / could that work?

Louie

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You're not serious?

4. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I was thinking of putting pushrods in the valve guides in the dodge motor and running them up through the chevy head to the rocker arm assembly. I figure why the hell not give it a shot, in the 40s and 50s they tried everything they could think up to make power.. same shit differant time.

5. R Pope

R Pope

A saner mind might ask, "WHY??"

6. louie the fly

louie the fly

7. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

If you've seen my build thread you'd agree that I'm not exactly sane.lol I figured it can't hurt to ask, I've seen a lot of crazy heads on A & B motors, so I had the "crazy" idea pop into my head today to try and figure out a way to make it work. haha

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It'll bolt right up then, but you'll have to have a couple of tubes of JB weld.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

measure twice cut once, and dont forget the Barrs leak

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Oh no, not again. Do a forum search. There was a similar thread here that was beat to death.

11. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I searched for a while on it before I posted this if you have the link post it. I found one guy who wanted to put a slant six head on one.

12. I think there is a thread where someone was putting a slant 6 head on a flatty MOPAR a while back.

I'm trying to remember and its a little hazy if you catch my drift but somewhere in the fog I think there was an inline with a hemi head on it. It would have had to have been a banger no doubt.

I'm not going to question your sanity at all. Personally before I wasted a lot of cash on a liner I would look for a legit replacement. Something with a V configuration and a valve in head (or not). Cad and Lincoln both made 12 cylinders at one time.

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, good idea. Buying a Caddy V12 head would save LOTS of cash and design time! Go for it!

I've had my chuckle this morning, thanks!

Brian

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yeah, that's it. Slant six or not, the issues are the same. The question in the end is dollars per horsepower, unless your goal is creating something so unique that its uniqueness creates value.

Just my opinion, but I see no great horsepower and no potential value in an OHV conversion of a 218 Dodge six.

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Well, maybe. But you understand that 99% of people, if it don't bolt up, they can't wrap their brain around it, can't fathom a motor unless it's a cookie cutter. And there are those that think doing something like this is about the dolllar. If it costs a lot that's bad. If you do it cheap, that's bad. You can't win with the those weaned on Seasmie Street.

I would measure the overall length of the block and the head first.

Edit; If the head is longer than the block the minor difference in cylinder spacing would be easier to accomodate/adapt if the head is longer than the block, much more unlikely to attempt to squeeze the chambers closer together.Edit

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  16. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Good point Nash, I have always felt that the only thing you don't alter (aside from bore & stroke) is the bottom end, Everything from there up can be ground, machined, welded, cast, sanded, or whatever your mind can drum up. Good example Ed Isky, the ex-flatty in his 23 T is an insperation to all.

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

.........Chivvy 4 ohv on a model A, Nash 6 ohv on an Ajax, etc, etc. Just doing it for the fun of it.........

'Scuse me, I'm out'a here, gott'a go beat the hell out of something made of iron............

18. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I seen a guy put a 292 Y-block head on a banger of some sort cant remember what it was. pretty narly....lol

19. 73RR

73RR

There is a wee bit more than simply measuring the heads/blocks and hoping for something similar....unless bore spacing, head bolts and valve/rocker position are just something to confuse the thinkers/planners.

Sure, if you have unlimited amounts of time and money anything can be done, but the basic question is still Why?

20. James Curl

James Curl

The 218 Dodge/Plymouth are the short block engines. The Chrysler and De Soto engines are 2" longer, but still shorter than a 235 Chevy head. All of the Canadian built MoPar flat head sixes are the long block no mater what the displacement is. Even if you could adapt the longer head to the long block engine you would have to modify the front cross-member and move the radiator to install one in an early Dodge or Plymouth prior to 1955 model. If you want an I/6 in your early MoPar why not just install a Jeep 4.0, it would not be much more work than to install a long block MoPar flat head and it would still be all MoPar since Chrysler builds Jeep.

21. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

this would go in a modified,so thats no issue

22. Back in the late forties during the hemi development Chryslaer made and tested a Six cylinder Hemi head on a Chrysler six. If you have the book on the Chryslers like the 50s Hemi cars including the 300s there is at least one picture of it in there. That would be how I would do it.
    Don

23. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

WOODY...you certainly can, all you realy need is a band saw and welding machine! HA!...POP.