Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pusher and Puller cooling fans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpkiwi, Mar 5, 2006.

1. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Ok here is my dilema I am running a blown SBC in a 53 willys pickup.It has a custom US Radiator with a 16" Spal puller fan.I have very limited room on engine side so the fan is my primary cooling source.Would a pusher on the other side make any significant gains by running them both.Have searched here and found that everyone is recommending shrouds,but I have limited room.I have about an inch between fan motor and short water pump.Thanks.:D

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

No, from my experiences with elec fans, a pusher and a puller doesn't work any better than just the puller fan. Push ones are less efficient. Does the car run real hot? If so, you probably need more radiator... Griffin will make custom radiators to fit whatever your needs.

Shrouds are horse shit. I've never had a car that wouldn't cool w/o a shoud, that would cool with a shroud.

3. guiseart

guiseart

nice, big tube aluminum radiator and two small pullers?

4. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

My temps are in the range 200-210 and was just wanting to get it down to 195 or so.:D

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Hate to disagree with Seymour but Detroit put shrouds in cars for a reason. A properly designed and installed shroud can lower running coolant temp as much as 15-20 degrees sometimes more.

Frank

6. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

They might work for a lot if not all new cars, but have never done anything on my cars, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that many new cars have a limited frontal area and the shroud actually pulls a greater volume of air through the radiator. Most our old cars have a lot more frontal area (relative to the area of the radiator core.) Just my take on it...

7. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

How about the water wetters are there any that actually do help lower the temps.Also are you better to run a 165 thermostat or a 180 to keep a vehicle cool?:D I am presently running a 180.

8. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Yes, but a cheaper alternative would be a few drops of liquid dish washing soap. It does the exact same thing the high dollar Water Wetter does. I run 160* thermostats in all my cars. But I live in Texas. haha...