Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Push gas to start" starters.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56Ponchorelli, May 7, 2009.

1. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

Which cars had the starters hooked to the accelerator pedal? I have an old delco remy push starter lying around my garage and I want to find out what's its for so I can put it in the right hands. No pictures as of right now but I can put some up tonight.

2. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

I think tri-5 Buicks had pedal start.

3. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

My 53 Buick Special had it, and a friends 51 special did also, both straight 8's...Alan

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The Buicks had it, but it wasn't a button on the floor--it was a switch built into the base of the carb. Matt the gas pedal, and the linkage opens up the butterflies, and the vacuum switch engages the starter. I'm not real clear on the internals of the switch itself, but it isn't a floor button.

-Brad

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

My '56 Buick Special had one. Small check ball in a vacuum channel in the carb base would relax and make contact, allowing the starter to operate. When car started, vacuum would suck the ball away and disengage starter. They work great when not gummed up.

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'38 Buicks had them, usually led to a flooded engine.

7. My 37 Buick also had one.

8. rhew5r

rhew5r

My 56 Buick Special had a key start switch mounted under the dash by the previous owner. I did not know about the "push to start" feature that originally came on the car. I found out about this unique starting arrangement when working under the dash my shoulder pressed the acelerator pedal and the car started! Nearly put my head thru the dash...

9. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

So these were buick components only? How do I find out what year it was from? Trying to support my 56 fees.

10. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

'39 Chevy cars had 'em. Don't know about the trucks.

11. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

I think some of the mid 40's chev cars/trucks also....

12. alsancle

alsancle

13. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Buick still had them for sure in '59. I think '60 did as well. This might have been the last year?

14. Road Runner

Road Runner

1933 Chevrolet Masters had the Starterator.
    It connected to the manifold vacuum.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  15. gafridge

gafridge

Our 48 and 53 Packards had them.it is a switch that screws into the carb.We have a car that the switch was broke and someone put a push button switch on it under the dash.

16. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

does it have a part number on it?

17. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Seems like my roommates from the old days '57 GMC pickup had one.

18. Not hooked to the accelerator pedal (or as we older Southern guys would say "foot feed"), but 6 cylinder CHevy/GMC trucks up through '59 had a foot operated starter switch beside the foot feed. You put your foot halfway on the foot feed and halfway on the starter pedal to start it. The V8 Chevy and GMC trucks had the starter switch integral with the ignition switch. Fords had a foot operated starter switch up through '36, went to a starter button on dash in '37. For what it's worth here in the south, we don't push, press, or depress pedals, we mash them. I remember as a kid, my father teaching me to drive, saying, "Son, mash your foot feed a little or we ain't gonna make it up this hill."

19. Hotrod Lincoln

Hotrod Lincoln

If the starter has a mechanical linkage that engages the drive gear and then pushes a switch to run the starter motor, it's probably a early 40's-mid-50's Chevy inline 6-cylinder truck starter. (216/235/261) It should attach to the bellhousing with two 1/2" diameter bolts.
    Jerry

20. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

You're right. His was a 6 and I seem to remember the starter button being off to the side. It was the first vehicle I ever saw like that.

21. sawzall

sawzall

worked on a 37 buick that had it.

dads 40 chevy had a foot operated button.. but was sepearate from the throttle..

I thought that the 39 chevy had the same thing

are you sure what you have isnt a chevy part??

22. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

I am not sure, thats why I posted. I forgot to grab it out. Tomorrow morning I will get the pictures.

23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

pre-war Dodges had a foot actuated starter. Small "pedal" located above the foot feed. With practice, you could use your heal on the foot feed and the ball of your foot on the starter pedal. kinda cool

24. 53chieftian

53chieftian

I almost bought a 60 buick that you had to mash the gas to engage the starter, at age 16 it was the strangest thing i had ever seen!

25. i still love the old stomp starters, like in my 46 internationl , still works, gotta realy stomp that sucker to get it down to conect the contacts inside of it, makes it hard to steal, lol . turn the key, pull the choke , pump the peddle , push in the clutch and stomp the starter, hahahahahah, i'd love to see onve of those car jacking thugs
    jack my ride! hahahaha.

26. lewislynn

lewislynn

I think you're right, I had a couple of early 50's Chevy trucks. One a pickup, one a panel, (wish I still had them, especially the panel)...Anyway, both had foot starters that not only cranked the starter it also engaged the Bendix (that's what we called them then).

27. lewislynn

lewislynn

This is off thread topic but the foot starter reminded me of my 56 Studebaker with a hill holder clutch. when you "mash" in the clutch, then "mash" on the brake it would hold the brakes untill you released the clutch....it was outstanding on up hill starts.