Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Purist traditonal roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HellsHotRods, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

BUT!!:D these ones were moved backwards so they begin flush with the bottom of the cowl, in the stock position they are an inch or two forward of the cowl.
    I like the look and will eventually do this on my roadster, I think...
    this car has been a huge styling influence for me, I just wish I had the money for all the "nick-nacks and do-dads" as 51box calls them!:D

2. Kris just knows how to build NICE cars.

3. Isnt it sad that on a 'traditional' forum a traditional car is a highlight!

4. WDO40

WDO40

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This ones just taken to the extreme and it works. There's nothing sad. Just people admiring a traditional car taken to a higher level.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Side aprons were left on just as they were in the day, when you went to the lakes to race, you didn't remove the body, just the fenders. It's a look from an earlier time period. This can be seen in Montgomery's book."

Does the owner remove the fenders wwhen he goes to a show or is he just trying to look like he was at the flats?

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The guy who built that car was obsessed with making it as period perfect as he could, and IMO he hit the mark in spades. God, that thing is gorgeous. You don't create a car like that without sweating every small detail. Simply beautiful. :)

Don

8. My point exactly......you class it as extreme.

9. Chuck G.

Chuck G.

The guy that bought the car had Derek Bower in Burbank make some changes. I got some pictures of it at the Holiday Motor Excursion this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Fuck, I just drooled on my keyboard!!!

11. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Why isn't a traditional hot rod forum more focused on cars like this?

12. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

very nice indeed

13. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

amazing ride,done to perfection.The splash aprons work on that ride simply because its all well thought out and executed right,it all comes together.

14. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Very detailed....Nice!!!

15. krooser

krooser

I would imagine very few original hot rods were built to that level of perfection... a beautiful example but, in the real world of the 40's/50's, I doubt one in one hundred was that nice.

I remember a couple deuce coupes I saw every saturday night after the jalopy races in Shawano, WI (circa 1958). The guys would stop at my Uncle's restaurant for a bite... one five window... one three window... worn out black paint and one had the cartoon character of 'Winthrop" painted on the door... loud flatties and bald tires... lots of fun!

16. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I built that car somewhere around 2005. I sold it to 'Msdeg' here on the HAMB. He wasn't happy with the car and had Derek Bower make a bunch of changes and upgrades. I can't take credit for a lot of the little details on the car, Msdeg did most of that and I think the whole car looks great.

That's the car alright. When I got it I was the car's 3rd owner. It had lived most of it's life in SLC.

Clean fuel tank and clean fuel...

I think the car you are thinking about is the one I built after this car, sometime around 2008. It was in Hotrod Deluxe July '09.

The original owner made that mod to the windshield. I didn't like it much.

I made it.

Those aprons are in the stock location. You could bolt fenders directly on that car.

17. Street rodders. :rolleyes:

18. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Id hate to see it all burn to the ground because of the copper fuel lines. I know that how it was done back in the 50s but its too much risk for me to take. Just my 2 pennies, others may vary

19. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Speaking of Streetroders ...here we go again. You are looking at a period correct late 40's Hotrod dude.

20. OE on a lot of cars back then...Same as mechanical brakes and pane glass :D

21. Muttley

Muttley

I'm with mtkawboy...........a set of red & blue anodized Earl's fittings and some steel braided hose would have gone a long way towards making that car cool. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

22. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

(note to self: look closer before you speak:eek:)

Loudpedal, did you move the aprons back on the other roadster you built? I could have sworn it was one of yours I saw it done on...
    Oh well, sorry for my misinformation.

23. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

No, I've always put them where they go. It doesn't compute in my mind to move them around. They go where they go.

For those wondering, the reason you saw that in the early days is because you had to remove the body to get them off. On a car that was drove (with fenders) and raced (without fenders), they stayed on. There is one being built, that I remember seeing here, where the skirts have been moved from the stock location, but I can't remember who's it is...

24. Actually I have always said the "Street Rod" was a late '60s early '70s term, that is when I remember it being used. I was recently looking at some pics from a show in '58 and there was a Street Rod class. Guess I'll have to back up and regroup.

loudpedal is correct on the period of the car. That said not everyone was using copper for fuel lines, but it does look nice all polished up. There are actually some very good examples of '40s style rods on this forum. It takes a lot of discipline to build on period correct. Most of us are spoiled by 40+ years of driving and want a few amenities; that is where the discipline goes out the window. A shameful thing to say but it is the truth. :eek:

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you want to be totally correct the running board brackets would still be there.:rolleyes: Since they are riveted to the chassis I think most guys back in the day left them on, but I'm sure someone replaced the rivets with bolts and nuts and made the boards and brackets removable that way. Great build, nicely done time warp. Bob:)

26. msdeg

msdeg

To those of you who like the car, thanks. Kris really had nothing to do with what you see in the pics. When I bought it, it was a pig in dress. Nothing worked. It was the first car I hadn't built myself. With the help of a few friends, especially Derek (Bower), I got the car sorted. It now runs, drives, and stops safely and the detail work is all mine.
    mike.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Mike, I really like the tonneau cover, are things set up to allow it to be removed and a top installed? Bob

28. msdeg

msdeg

Hi Bob: This is a typical tonneau with button snaps. I don't run a top, but the tonneau can easily be removed. Any good upholstery shop can make one.
    mike.

29. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

This is the best "Apron Only Model A" in the whole wide world. I've seen it in person a few times & check it out thoughly each & every time.