Register now to get rid of these ads!

Punch hole plugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Nov 30, 2013.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have been looking for plugs to fill in the holes on my frame. I have seen them before, but can't find them. If anyone has a different or better way, let me know. The holes are from 1/4" to 7/8".

2. I've never bought plugs. Hole saws work well enough for me without the pilot drill. By the time you by the plugs and pay shipping you've more than payed for a good hole saw. I think 1/4" holes are small enough to just plug weld without a filler piece.
    The Wizzard

3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I agree on the 1/4" holes. I like the hole saw idea, and then I got one.

4. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I use electrical knockout plugs from electrical boxes.You gotta grind off the galvanize coating b4 welding though!

5. COOP

COOP

check you're local steel fab shop. a local shop in my area has punch outs that range from 1/4" to 3" and from 14 ga to 3/8" thick. I usually get a coffee cup full each time I drop in. They just give 'em to me.These are raw steel and have no coatings at all. Another place is the hardware store, just look in the washer section and sometimes there are little slugs there also. Store owner was glad to get 'em out of his product.

6. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

I seen a thread awhile ago that showed a 2x4 with the hole drilled and use it as the guide for the hole saw without the pilot bit,pretty slick. Rob

7. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

8. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I am looking for the ones that come from a fab shop. I saw them for sale at Back to the 50's. Now I can't find them. I still like the hole saw idea, but punch ones are cleaner.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Might as well use fender washers.

10. badshifter

badshifter

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i walk the nearest SCRAP yard and find more than i can afford

12. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Thanks badshifter, that's what I was looking for. I was looking at his paper catalog last night, and did not see them.

13. Johnny99

Johnny99

mcmopar,

Find a local user friendly fab shop, [not just car shops]. Ask them if they will sell/give you punch slugs from their ironworker/punch. A small offer/bribe of donuts or pop for the lunchroom fridge might get you a lifetime supply:). Some places may have safety issues with you in the shop, go prepared, take gloves, safety glasses, and a hard hat. Good luck.

John

14. Larry T

Larry T

It might not work on the larger holes but on smaller holes (1/2" or ???) in frames, I've taken a rod and cut it into plugs the thickness I need for the frame work. Then drill the hole in the frame to fit the plug you've made.

I'm getting ready to start slicking a swiss cheese Anglia frame soon.

15. ^^^ that's the ticket ! ^^^

16. budd

budd

i agree with finding a metal fab shop or a factory that has cnc turret punch machine, plasma or laser tables, not only will thay have round cut outs but all kinds of other crops, parts get bent wrong or cut wrong and the time it takes to fix them is not worth the effort so they just chuck them in the scrap bin.