Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pullmax P6 Info??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by USMercUte, Jul 2, 2009.

1. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the first right of refusial on a Pullmax P6 that has spent it's life in a rural manufacturing metal shop. It appears to be in fair to good condition and comes with off-set dies and some tooling which I have not seen yet. Anyone have any advice for me on value and what to look for as possible concerns with the unit. I already know I will have to convert it to VFD as it is 3 phase and I only have single phase. Any pit-falls to the P6 that I need to be aware of before purchase? Thanks for any and all advice.

2. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

I had a P7 for many years now have a T3, the throat height is the only problem you should have with it. The machines are well built! Check the oil in the power head, as long as it isn't full of metal shavings should have many years of service left in it. Becareful moving it they are heavy machines pm me and I can link you a manual. Value? well that really depends on tooling the toolings can be worth 2-3 times the machine, they go anywhere from scrap value to many thousands. What do you want to make? take one of what you want and hold it at the machine see if anything looks wrong. Here is a link to my old pullmax album on metalshapers, http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980156090315 tt

3. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Ditto Oldgoaly - I have a P9 - had it for 6 years. I have a friend with a P6 - great machine. If you are going to use it for forming operations, then the only issue you might have is the throat height and the size of the lower tool holder. They both limit the size and especially depth of anything you might do.

Here is a link to my P9 on metalshapers...

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/communi...m&albumid=9990167193313&ownerid=9970160453972

4. Bastards! My gold still isn't shiny enough.

5. marktp1967

marktp1967
    from arizona

how much are they asking? i paid $3k for my p21s about six years ago and felt pretty good about it. the p21s has the standard throat depth but the throat height is almost twice as tall as standard. check www.faybutler.com for a good book on making your own dies. you'll save a lot of money over buying dies. there are other options out there if you don't get this machine. went to a friends shop today to try out his p'max, a homebuilt pullmax styled reciprocating machine that he designed and is selling plans for. pretty impressive because it was so damned quiet compared to a pullmax. did some shrinking with it and planishing and was able to carry on a conversation the whole time, all with no hearing protection. if it was six years ago i would have built one of these and saved $2k. if your building cars and bikes it's pretty cool. if you're shearing plate or need a lot of depth to work into a panel for beading and such, then stick with the pullmax. good luck and be careful moving it. they're scary to move. i've moved mine three times and i think i pissed myself all three times. mark

6. carbuilder

carbuilder

I have a T6 pullmax they are great 42 in throat depth & 24 in throat height. power hammers are great they are super noisy & shake the ground planishing hammers are great they are very noise & the neighbors will complain. The pullmax is great & it is quiet Danny.

7. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got it! Very happy with the Pullmax P-6, as it is old but has had very limited use. I aganizied over the move home and it is very top heavy but all went well and it is now installed in my shop. Most of the factory tooling ended up with it including a nibbler and the extension ways that allow about 3 feet in front of the machine which I have only seen in books. The 3 belt drive parted the 3rd belt on the trip home, and I broke factory paint on the belt guards as I replacde the belts. I truely believe the original oil is in the gear box. Thank you everyone who gave me prior advice. I paid $3000 and I am thrilled with my purchase. Does anyone know specs on the gearbox oil as I plan to change it? I purchased the Fay Butler books, WOW, great education for anyone interested in purchaing or using any metal formaing machine. Saved me a ton of money and I learned so much. Thank you FAY BUTLER.

I have posted for sale my 'Poormans" Pullmax which is a shearing/metal formaning machine which has served me well with less capasidy, built in Ceres, Ca. Check it out on misc for sale.

8. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Well Pullmax quotes some oils that are obsolete, as I understand the info, they are low in wax content also are non detergent. I myself used 10w-40 at first then 20w-50 cause my seal was getting worse. The T3 I'm using a synthetic , mobile1, damn if I remember what grade??? The seal is a common metric size you should be able to purchase one locally at a hydraulics repair/sales store.
    Also what temperature does your shop average? Here just above freezing to a 100, is a much wider range than what Pullmax designer's planned. Take care! tt

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I have a Pullmax and a Nibbler Senior, they both use different oil. Get a P6 manual, find the oil specification and then call an oil distributor to get the correct oil. Don't use anything other than what Pullmax recommends.

10. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Oh common on Larry, do you still use state of the art 1930 oil in your p/u? One other thing about low foaming, which new oils are 100 times better at. But it is yours so treat it like you want. tt

11. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

12. cn1956f100

cn1956f100
    from the desert

Hi,
    I am new to this site, but interested in metal shaping. You were talking about your friends homebuilt pullmax type machine, and that the plans are available for purchase. Where can I find out more information about purchasing these plans? I have seen a few pullmax machines run and they are usually very loud. I would be interested in building or buying one that I can use in my home garage without getting the neighbors all worked up about the noise. Are there any photos of your friends homebuilt machine on this site?
    Thanks a bunch,
    Chuck

13. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

There are some(plans) for sale on ebay, there are builds of different machines on metalmeet.com and metalshapers.org. Noise? it depends on what you are doing, planishing is quiet, but most everything else is noisy, it's the same noise as hand hammering, but faster. tt

14. cn1956f100

cn1956f100
    from the desert

Thanks for your help. I did check on Ebay - there are plans for the P-Max "Pullmax style" reciprocating power hammer. This appears to be a pretty nice setup! I also did a google search and discovered this same P-Max plans with lots of information and pictures. The site is www.deserthybrids.com. I phoned them and talked to David about this machine. He does not sell parts, only plans - but he did mention that this pmax machine is very quiet, even when shrinking or planishing with steel dies. It sounds like these plans are complete with lots of cad drawings for the parts. I will probably go ahead and order the plans.

I also found some threads on MM about group builds/designs for these pullmax type machines. Lots of ideas there, but I didn't see anything about plans available.

Have any of you guys built the pmax using the Deserthybrids plans - would be interested to hear how the machine really works from somebody that has built or used one of these.

Chuck

15. purehotrods

purehotrods
    from Aledo,Il

I have a set of plans (p max)I have never used and would sell. Let me know if you or anyone else could use them. Brian 309-582-3155