Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pulling a Ford Model A rearend, torque tube, and driveshaft as one complete unit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xadamx, Sep 23, 2010.

1. xadamx

xadamx

I want to separate my '39 speed transmission from the torque tube and driveshaft(to check the u-joint and transmission, something broke), so I want to move the TT, driveshaft, and rearend back as a complete unit.

-I know I have to disconnect the speedo stuff and undo the end bell bolts, is there anything else to it?
    -If I want to inspect the u-joint, is there an easier way?
    -If I just wanted to drop the transmission, is there an easier way? I know either the motor or the torque tube has to move away...

I did do a search and found some helpful stuff...

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just the spring, e brake, and brake hose. Depending on how hose is mounted you might be able to roll it back enough to disengage without disconnecting.
    Type of frame and crossmember dictate how easy and which way. With '32 crossmember, trans has to come out with engine forward. With X-frames, if your floorboards leave a big enough hole when you remove them, you can leave engine in, slide back rear, and get trans out though the interior...lots of work either way you get trans out, and the trans can feel like it weighs 800 pounds when you are hunched up between seat and dash trying to lift...
    On a simple roadster with only radiator and lights in the way I think pulling engine will be the less bloody and painful way. You don't need to remove rear, but of course the U-J bell bolts can be difficult if obstructed by frame. Engaging U-joint when engine/trans go back in can be lots of fun, too.

3. xadamx

xadamx

It's a Model A frame...I'll be under there tonight. Sounds straightforward enough...and fun no matter which way I do it...

4. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I had a 1941 Ford when I was a teenager. To get the transmission out you pull either the engine or rear end. On the other hand, old torque tube Chevrolets have a sliding torque tube ball and you can get the transmission out. Good luck with your project. Life long Chevrolet owner.

5. adam401

adam401

Undo the u bolts holding the spring to the crossmember, undo the 2 piece clambshell that holds the tt to the tranny, undo the brakeline to the rear and speedo cable, undo ebrake if you have one. Jack er up tall and roll it out on the tires. This happens about once a month at our club garage. Bet its not yer u joint. Sorry