Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pulled Dad's 37 pickup out of the barn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Poppinjohnnies, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I didn't see it either. :)

Stogy and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Well, one thing at least is certain.....it DOES have a windshield!....and as has been stated, enjoy some time with your dad while you can, I sure miss mine....

Stogy likes this.
  3. wow....55 years........

Stogy likes this.
  4. Fat finger typing may exacerbate the confusion..

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

So COOL!

Stogy and Poppinjohnnies like this.
  6. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Sorry, the only update is that we found a good running flathead for it a couple of weeks ago. No other progress yet. We're trying to finish up a few other irons we have in the fire first.

Tim, Stogy, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  7. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

It was my Grandparents' place - where dad grew up. Some family still owns some of the property and the barn.

Stogy, Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

My last comment was that you'd be done by spring; I hereby give you an official exstention until summer. Now get a move on, your dad is waiting! LOL

Stogy likes this.
  9. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Belated update: 37 ford column lock.jpg
    Ok, we started messing with the '37 a bit. We are trying to free up / remove the steering column lock. Dad was able to remove the ignition key lock, but the sliding pin that locks the column is stuck tight and we can't seem to remove it. I'm considering pulling the entire steering box, column & wheel out through the door and sitting the assembly on the work bench, but I'd rather free it up and leave it alone if we can. Any tips are greatly appreciated!
    Also, dad purchased a rebuilt transmission and spare engine and rear axle from a guy who street rodded his '37 PU, so we have a good tranny to swap in when the time comes. The engine is disassembled. Dad really wants to use a 125 hp Merc for this truck, because that's what he swapped in the truck back in the early '60s. Problem is that we don't have one. We have other flatheads, but the only Merc we have is one that came out of a barn lot somewhere that has a hole in the side of the pan where it kicked a rod... So if someone has an old 125 merc they want to unload for this project, please give me a shout.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  10. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The difference between a Merc and a Ford are internal. So you can use the Merc crank, pistons, and perhaps the rods. There might be one or two other things but I didn't think they are major. So strip down the Merc and harvest the parts...

12. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Ok. I've overhauled a model T engine (the car in my profile) but I've never messed with a flathead V-8 before. It's gonna be fun! Here's a bad picture of that Mercury. merc flathead.jpg

Stogy, pprather and guthriesmith like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

The only difference that makes any difference between a Ford and Merc flathead (after 1949) are the crank, pistons, heads, and cam. You CAN use a Ford block as a new host of all the Merc-specific stuff.

14. rusty valley

rusty valley

15. I wanna see more pics of the barn...neat truck.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yep, I forgot to mention the cam and heads. It will look like a Merc except I believe the Merc branding is on the belhousing if the early ones are like the 8BAs.

Poppinjohnnies and Stogy like this.
  17. nobby

nobby

if you have to remove the clocks to get access to the nuts holding the column drop to the dash, remember that the temperature sender 'wire' is a mercury filled tube.

Poppinjohnnies and Stogy like this.
  18. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Column freed up. Dad and I loaded the truck on the trailer ant took it to his place to wash it (no water at the shop). One of the tires still has paint overspray from the High School body shop paint job back around '62. They weren't too well versed on sanding before spraying, either! It is back in the shop now, ready for disassembly. I thought the spare was cool, so I added a picture of it.

cleanup 1.jpg cleanup3.jpg cleanup4.jpg overspray.jpg back home.jpg spare tire.jpg

19. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Dad pulled the bed on the old truck this past weekend. Lots of busted bolts and knuckles! We believe that this is the first time the bed has ever been removed. The wood blocks between the bed and frame are still in excellent condition!

Attached Files:

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Great truck. Keep us posted.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

How bad did the back of the cab rub? That’s a common issue. That and the lower molding line.

Stogy likes this.
  22. SPEC

SPEC

Great truck.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are very fortunate that overall it escaped the wrath of the fire, I mean with a melted piston it's amazing it wasn't way worse...Man that was a lot of debris in the bed and cab yet the body seems very solid overall...have fun revisiting the Good Ole Days with Dad...

Big mike 1968 and Roothawg like this.
  24. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

No rub at all.

Stogy, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  25. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Well, the engine was sitting in our shop at the farm and that shop is what burned down some 20 years ago. The truck was sitting in my Grandparents' barn at their old place. It was in the same spot, on the same wood blocks since 1963.

Tim, Boneyard51, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

That’s one in a million. Truck must have been gently used. Usually the bed front is bowed out from slamming things in the bed.

Boneyard51, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, that is a big bonus...I missed that detail...what a time capsule...

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. 1952henry

1952henry

Great project. Save on the barn dust and if you end up painting it, sweep all the patina that ends up on the floor. Some guys may pay you for it.

30. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Here’s one of the wood bed support blocks from the rear of the truck. They’re in great condition, so we will be using them when this goes back together.

2BACBFFF-71A4-498D-9DF8-7BE8AA0D76A3.jpeg