Register now to get rid of these ads!

Protecting you garage as if it were your home?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-40, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Seems like there is a lot of cars, and other stuff getting ripped off right now. It really pisses me off, but it is nice to see you can spread a search across the H.A.M.B.. I know the law states, at least in Washington, you have the right to protect your home if someone breaks in. Meaning killing them if necessary. I don't want to sound like a weirdo, but does this also apply to you garage as well? What about attached garage Vs. detached. Just something I have always wondered. Maybe someone can school me out there? :confused:

2. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

HAHAHA good point what are the laws? I know I would kill someone if they stepped into my cave!!!

3. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

If you happen upon an intruder, here is a tip or two.... #1. head shot #2. do not dial 911 and #3. get rid of the body...dumpsters are best

4. I'd say if the building has a CO (code of occupancy) you're free to shoot. When in doubt, shoot them outside and drag the body into the kitchen!

Bob

5. my garage is attached, so it is part of my home. shoot first, put a knife from the kitchen in their hand and tell the cops he charged at you.

every time i take my car out, i watch my rearview on the way home. if i see headlights, i'll make a trip around the block. maybe i'm paranoid, but i'm not risking it.

6. TEXAS Castle Law Covers you the same in the car as your home. I don't want to kill anyone. But I worked for years for my home and property. Just stay locked and loaded. Be aware of your surrondings and pay attention.

7. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

I leave it up to Clutch whether they live or get consumed. ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

2 in the head
    1 in the heart
    thanks castle law
    and i love the element of surprise!:D

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Don't know about WA; Colo Supreme Court decision found that a Citizen's POV is an extension of the home.

My reaction to an intruder? Any shooting from here would always be in self defense. Don't ever do anything, make any plans in advance that might indicate premeditation, crimes of passion are always considered a lesser offense than premeditated.

After I shoot 'em, unload my piece, lay it on the table, call 911, "You better send an ambulance and the law".

"What happened"? the answer is "Home invasion, the perp has been shot".

My rule is never talk to the police, beyond name, date of birth, show ID, "talk to my lawyer". Cop asks what happened? "My attorney is on his way". Beyond that I don't have to answer any questions or respont in any way.

10. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

Most states you can NOT use deadly force to protect property. Best advise here ,if your worried about it talk to a lawyer and see what your rites are to start with. Dont go by a internet web site :D If the info is wrong you get to spend a lot of time being bubbas bitch.:eek:

11. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

Good looking animal.

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I wouldn't live in a fuckin' state with any doubt of my right, or that impeded my constitutional right to protect my property. In Colorado it's written into the State Constitution and reaffirmed by legislation a couple of years ago, it's called the 'make my day law'.

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You're right. While many states, including Delaware, have a "make my day" law, where if you happen upon an intruder in your home, you can shoot first and ask questions later, this is NOT a free pass to go blasting anybody that steps foot on your property. I know in Delaware, the intruder must be in your house, and not in the act of retreat. When I was a teaching assistant for an Intro to Criminal Law class, I told my class, "you find an intruder in your house, he's got 1 foot in the window, 1 foot out, you shoot him, what do you do? PULL HIM IN." Sad but true.

Getting back to the OP's question, there are other factors that get weighed when determining criminal or civil liability in instances like this. There is no black or white law that covers every situation and scenario. It's basically going to boil down to whether you are protecting your life, or the life of another, from an intruder and not just protecting your property. In Delaware, if you are on your own property, you do not need to retreat. Most states, with few exceptions, do not permit you to use deadly force to protect solely property. So is your garage attached to your house? Is anyone else home with you when intruder is discovered? How close is the intruder to your house or you? All factors to consider. Also remember, just because you aren't held criminally liable for blasting an intruder, doesn't mean their family won't come and sue you civilly. A firearm should be a last resort and not the first line of defense

14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Generally, if you feel your, or anyone in your house, life's in danger, nail them. Hope & pray that occassion never happens - it's not an easy thing to live with.

15. buck8

buck8
    from Austin

Not to go off topic to much but what else do you guys do for protection? Does your garage have an alarm on it? Do you lock it up at night? Just curious...

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Gates to get to the garage down the driveway, motion-activated flood lights, 2 locking garage doors, huge padlocks drilled through the door tracks, and a steel door with dead bolt on the side. If someone wants my car, they're gonna have to work for it

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

all im going to say is..walking onto my property uninvited and or at the wrong time of the day could be suicide..I will know you are here waaaay before you know, i know. and i have many ways out and around my house.
    we watch dogs also as a side line, so there are always big dogs at my house, along with the one we own.
    also mutiple motion sensors and activity triggered cameras. element of surprise can sometimes guarentee your survival. at least it puts you in the possition of having the upper hand..
    and i dont care what laws say what..I have a duty to protect my life and my family, i would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    mans rules on this, are superseeded by survival and the right to ones own protection. it is a choice to be a victim or not, the police have " no duty" to protect..read up on it..no lie.
    the worst thing about me?..im armed to the teeth, and paranoid:D...hahahhaha fuckin call first before you just drop in!:eek:

18. What do you think we make the SAUSAGE out of ?? >>>>.

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

shoot em , drag em in da house , claim bodily threat ! .................... steve

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My outbuildings are all protected by an alarm system. Sensors for doors, windows, glass breakage and smoke detection. Alarm sounds in the house and is called in to a dispatcher. If you don't answer the phone with the right password, the Police will be there in a couple of minutes.

Don't trust the Police to respond? Right after I had the system installed, I was carrying some heavy stuff in my truck and opened a shed door to get some wood ramps to assist in unloading, neglecting to shut down the alarm system first. About 3-minutes after I had opened the door, an Officer was standing there with his hand on his pistol grip, asking me for I.D.
    I respect & support my Police!

21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How's that living in Wonderland working out for you?

If you think you're in a "safe" area, you're just setting yourself up to be a victim. I've never had a breakin in my area, but I sure am ready if it occurs. Paranoid? Nope, just prepared.

22. 8769

from kennesaw

ever heard "it's the law in Kennesaw" ? If you own a home within the city limits of Kennesaw you are required by law to own a gun.

If there is any question before someone wants to break into my house garage or truck, yes I am a law abiding citizen.

T

23. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

my dogs (18) my guns(lots) and my rides are daily drivers so they sit in the open... part of my fenced yard, if they can get pased the dogs and the flying lead then they
    can have my fucking cars... if they can start em.. whitch they can't.
    i don't take my keys out of the car, i take the removable fuse box, and all the wires in the cars are the same color, hahahahahahah.. and the fuel pump is turned on with a hidden switch.

24. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

hey buddy, where do ya live?

BUWHAHAHAH.

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

it still happens around you

____.>

Overall, there were 36.4 major crimes per 1,000 residents in 2005. In 1981, the crime rate was 63.3 per 1,0000 residents. Major crimes include homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny and auto theft. Last year's violent-crime rate – the number of homicides, rapes, robberies and aggravated assaults per 1,000 residents countywide – reached a 25-year low: 4.5.

yeah its low..but its still going on in N san diego co...and people are free to move about the USA so tomorrow your view could be changed by someone stealing from someone in your neighborhood( or other crimes)...there are no guarntees

26. You know, that's why I REALLY want to live in the USA. Here in Canada, the law is on the criminal's side. Here's a slightly off-topic example:

A gun law was put into action several years ago whereby all guns are required to be stored in locked (and approved) gun cabinets or safes. An older gentleman living in a small, rural community near my inlaws had his house ransacked by a bunch of young, stupid, probably drunk or stoned teens. His guns were not properly locked up so they stole them. They proceeded to use said weapons in an armed robbery and were apprehended. The thieving bastards got off with a minor charge (can't recall exactly what it was) BUT the old gun owner was seriously charged for not properly securing his weapons. I agree, he did not follow the letter of the law, but, if the little assholes hadn't broken into his house they would not have had the opportunity to take his unsecured guns. It's a frickin' farce up here.

If you ever shot an intruder here you may as well count on spending the rest of your life behind bars :(.

Steve

PS: Then there's the brilliantly orchestrated "Gun Registry" program that started out as an approximate $16 million project to ensure that all gun owners "register" their weapons with the federal gov't to reduce the number of gun related crimes. It ballooned into a money-grabbing multi billion dollar scam and still failed to affect the real problem causing dirtbags out there - the one's with illegally acquired guns. Leave it to the gov't . . . :rolleyes:

27. Special Ed

Special Ed

It's working out pretty darn good, thanks for asking! :) Life is good...

28. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

hmmm.. what year is your car?.... any.. uhh... loose parts in your gurage?

hahahah...

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I realize this is a bit different question than usual, but probably best to do your research elsewhere.

And... we just don't need another thread full of dudes bragging about how hard they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.