Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Protect fresh paint/body from trim on a '40 Ford??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tgamueda, Oct 2, 2018.

1. tgamueda

tgamueda
    from Denver

Ready to put the stock trim back on a '40 Ford 2 DR sedan deluxe but I am cringing at the thought of putting the metal trim directly on the body without some type of barrier in between? I doubt the trim will move and wear away the paint, maybe I'm just being anal. Anyone done anything to address this or will the stock method be good to go?

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stock method is fine. Make sure lots of tape below and above where trim goes--don't tighten the bolts too tight! Also watch for trim alignment at rear of door at 1/4-many times I have to file holes down a bit for proper fit-just did it on coupe I'm doing. Take your time. When we do 1/4's my wife assists as they are long and easy to scratch paint.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. I just did this on my '40 convertible after I painted it..I bought new clips, then installed straight onto the body, worked for me without issue.
    I've seen where people have used masking tape to protect the paint, but the way the moulding is drawn in tight like it does, the next issue would be how to get all of the masking tape off.

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put the tape above and below where the trim goes just for extra insurance. Have done many 40's and some without tape too-have never had an issue other than trim line up at rear of door and 1/4 on some.

5. BJR

BJR

Tape pieces of shirt cardboard on each side of the clip holes. That way it protects the paint when the clip pops in and is easy to slide out from under the chrome strip afterward. Also do this for the ends of the chrome strips as they sometimes dig in when snapped in place.

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

more great tips, thanks guys

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used 3M double sided tape on the last few cars I have assembled for several reasons. They don't rattle about after install, the tape provides a weather tight barrier top and bottom of the trim, the trim is easier to remove without hurting the finish and it lasts. Works great on SS emblems and the like (and they go on straighter).

8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Put mine on without tape, works fine. Ol scrounger has put together many 40’s so you can’t go wrong with his procedure.

9. tgamueda

tgamueda
    from Denver

WOW, REALLY appreciate all the guidance here guys. Bandit Billy- you touch on my other concern in terms of water finding it's way and settling. Big thanks OLSCROUNGER, very good tips there!

10. You are going to have a far greater chance of water being trapped behind original trim with it taped on than with clips. Any slight separation of the tape will allow water in and then once in it would have no way out especially if that failure is at the top. Trim on modern cars is not hollow on the back like the trim on old cars so tape works well because there is nowhere for water to collect. If you were using custom trim that was solid it would be a different matter.

11. tgamueda

tgamueda
    from Denver

Good point K13. I think I may just use the new clips from Dennis Carpenter and install it the way it was intended. I can use some of the anti-scratch methods mentioned in the post and have another set of hands help me out. On a side note some of the trim was damaged so I called King of Trim and Paul's Chrome and they both wanted about $400 to repair each of two proposed sections which did not include polishing. I thought that was a bit outrageous since new trim is a fraction of that cost and the trim will be painted Hot Rod black. I used a vice, needle nose pliers, pry bar and a hammer and did a decent job on getting 2 pieces to a very acceptable condition. Thanks again to all who responded.