Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pros and Cons of Cal Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty2, May 5, 2011.

1. Dirty2

Dirty2

Been thinking of running my Cal Custom finned alumn oil pan ! Any of y'all run em ? What's the good and Bad ?

2. What kind of motor might help!

I have three of them currently on Small Block Fords - No Problems

3. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Good = they look nice
    Bad = if you bang it on something it will shatter.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Agreed! I'd rather dent a pan and maybe keep the oil in, than shatter one and lose all the oil. Same with auto trannys

5. Dirty2

Dirty2

Sorry it's a 327 going in my 32 . Really wondering if they are proned to leak .

6. I remember Outlaw cracking his at P-n-P several years ago by hitting something in the street. Had to JB weld it to get home.

7. Danny,The odds are in your favor on running that pan...Go for it...

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I have one on my roadster with a reusable silicone gasket. I like the way the gasket has steel spacers in the bolt holes so you can't overtighten it. The aluminum pans have a nice thick flange so the flange won't warp at the bolt holes like the steel will. I like mine, leaking shouldn't be a concern.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Like anything else your going to find those who love them and those who hate them. Like as been said if you hit something solid (manhole cover, big rock, anyting tall enough to contact it thats heavy/solid it will crack/break and you'll loose the oil in very short order. Baring that you should have no problems. I took mine off the '32 2dr because it was so low (less than 3" road clearance) I knew it would only be time until I smacked something and broke it.

Frank

10. chubbie

chubbie

i have one one the model A with a 327, looks nice the little bit you can see of it. fits great and I,m sure the fins add a lot of cooling to the oil

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

had one on my 3w...high centered it pulling into a gas station at Indy and smacked it HARD...no problem.

that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. dlotraf

dlotraf

If you hit it hard enough to bust it, you would have about same problem with steel pan. Maybe it won't crack but you will probably knock it into the crank. Leaks no problem as long as you use the one piece, ie felpro, silicone gaskets. Had problems seeping a drop or two with the std gaskets. I have them on 3 trucks. No problems.........

13. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Danny, if I remember correctly, the way they are designed, you will hit the drain plug before you hit anything else. "Damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead", I say.

14. Dirty2

Dirty2

Well I'm sitting in the parking lot in Canton , Texas about 60 miles from home with the busted oil pan ! Pictures tomorrow ..

15. Sorry man that blows. Makes me have second thoughts on putting mine in my 34.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

watch out for armadillos in Texas-put a hole in the gas tank of '62 Chevy II-missed the oil pan

17. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

If you put one on remember it is around 1inch + lower around the drain plug than a stock steel pan. . :)

18. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

19. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

damn, Danny. that sucks..

20. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

A lot of modern engines run alloy pans factory ,

21. phat rat

phat rat

True but the factory builds their cars with more ground clearance than most of us do. Plus they usually have a crossmember or something ahead of and lower than the pan

22. Did both your quotes happen the same day or did you ask the question too late? Either way I'd stick with a steel oil pan, chrome if you'd like. If your engine oil heat is a problem try an oil cooler?

23. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

look at post dates... he asked while he was building the sedan. Came back and said it failed while on the road

24. Dirty2

Dirty2

Well here's the pictures ! The part that I hit and the mess it made !

Attached Files:

25. Dirty2

Dirty2

And than at around 2 this morning safe and sound . Even got a call from Doc that he has me a steel oil pan .

Attached Files:

26. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

What I never liked about the cast pans that the aftermarket sold/sell is the lack of a baffle system such as what the standard Chevy V8 pans have. At least a baffle to keep the oil from running from the pickup on hard deceleration would be better than no baffle system which is how all aftermarket & marine GM pans I ever saw were made.

27. Dirty2

Dirty2

It has a baffle in it .

28. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Do you have pics of the pan?

29. damn!