Register now to get rid of these ads!

Props to Clark County Fire Dept., Las Vegas,NV.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 21tat, Oct 2, 2006.

1. 21tat

21tat

When my son's '63 Caddy caught fire in front of his house last week, he dialed 911 and asked for help. The Clark County Fire Dept. had a truck there within two minutes. The hood and engine are toast, but the rest of the body is mostly unharmed. Thirty minutes before the car caught fire, we had family photos taken in front of the Caddy with the grandparents. That car was his pride and joy. Hope that Hagerty insurance comes through on the claim. If not, I'll post it here.
    Thanks again to the Clark County Fire Dept. for a job well done!!

2. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I remember when my dad was a volunteer fireman...half the force was full time, and they supplemented it with volunteers. About a block and a half away from the firestation, I saw a freshly restored '69 Skylark convertible burst into flames. I told the clerk in the ice cream shop I was in (damn that sounds all "Happy Days") to call 911, a car was burning outside!" and sprinted to my parents conversion van and grabbed the fire extinguisher. The owner and I put the fire out before it did more than melt the underhood wiring, fan shroud, washer bottle, etc. The fire deparment showed up WELL after we were done. I mentioned it to my dad, and he said that when the call comes in for a car fire, there's little need to rush to get there, because cars burn very, very quickly, and almost always the car is a totally involved fire by the time they arrive.

I've often thought that if I ever needed to dial 911 for a vintage car fire, I'd tell the dispatcher it's a collector car, just so they might pass it along. But otherwise, I'm figuring if it's big enough to call 911, it's dead.

Hats off to your fire department!
    -Brad

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Rest assured you will NOT have any issues what so ever with Hagerty. I lost a '47 Chevy convert completely to a shop fire and had my check from them for the complete value of the car within 28 days and the only reason they said it took that long was they had to wait for the report from the fire dept.

Thank God your son didn't lose the whole car and that no one was hurt.

4. 21tat

21tat

Thanks Denise. That's good to hear about Hagerty. We insure two other cars with them. The adjuster actually called him this morning, so I guess things are under way.