Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Proper way to store used carberators

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Zuber, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Zuber

Zuber
    from Poconos

I picked up a WCFB 2x4 setup off a good running motor for my restoration. Removed from motor about 6 weeks ago. The problem is I won't be ready to put the motor back in for at least a year. I would like to store them and not have to rebuild them when I'm ready to use them. I drained the gas but was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to store them so they stay good.

Thanks

2. Shooting WD-40 down the breather tubes and the main body helps.

3. big M

big M

I've poured auto trans fluid into the float bowl, sloshed it around a bit, and sealed the carb in a plastic bag, as with any lubricant, it will attract dust and dirt.

---John

4. 73RR

73RR

Pour in some fuel stabilizer to keep gaskets and such hydrated then seal them in a good zip lock bag.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

High and dry. Keep them off the garage floor.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

If it's for a SBC, just send the setup to me, and I'll take the worry off your mind. If it's for anything else, other than a SBC, I can't really help you. I have THREE SBC dual 4 setups, and they're all just sitting on a shelf, wrapped up in plastic bags, waiting their turn to be rebuilt and used. You should probably rebuild the carburetors if they're going to sit for a year or more. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

If they have not been rebuilt with components that will handle today's crap gas then bag them and wait until you can use them to rebuild

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. trbomax

trbomax

I would spray them down with amsoil metal protecter, 3 in 1 spray oil,or even fogging oil.Double bag then,getting as much air out as possible,put them in the house in a closet where the temp is stabil.Your biggest challenge here is to protect the plateing on the steel parts and the pot metal finish on the castings. wd-40 would not be a consideration as it will not provide a moisture barrier. Ive stored some holly 3 bbls since the mid 70's this way and they look brand new.

9. I drain them, clean them up with carb cleaner. Then it goes into a plastic bag and back into the carb box (if I have it). If it sits for more than 6 months, I take it apart and at least put fresh gaskets into it.

Bob

10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

After sitting a year no matter how it is stored rebuild the carbs. If for no other reason than you don't know how long the carbs were in use. This is just cheap insurance that the carbs will work O.K. when you put the set up on your engine

11. PushnFords

PushnFords

Fuel stabilizer will only keep gas good for 60-90 days. I'd dry them out as good as you can & plan on probably putting a kit in them anyway.

12. Once you get the old fuel out your biggest concern is gasket shrinkage. The WD-40 deal already mentioned is a good idea or soaking them down in light oil (like 3 in 1) is actually a better idea, most aerosol lubricants will evaporate leaving you with no protection. I have even gone as far as to fill the float bowls with oil on a long term storage.

13. Good idea for a Thread. Most of us have ran across this problem, or suffered the consequences, from not doing it.

In my 1968 Cadillac factory service manual, it gives step by step instructions, for storing your entire brand new DeVille. Says to "remove and drain carburetor and store in plastic bag, in safe climate controlled room." How cool is that??

I can imagine some chauffer doing this and giving that big Fleetwood a good coat of wax and bumper cosmoline, then covering it up, with a bunch of cotton sheets. Stashed away, in some NYC parking garage, while the owner flies to Miami, for the winter. HA!

Will oil screw up the accelerator pump???

JT

14. squirrel

squirrel

The old accelerator pumps were made of leather, and you were supposed to oil them before installing. Oil will probably be OK on the neoprene pumps too....

Drain the gas out of it, put it on a shelf, and see how it works when you finally get around to using it. I've had decent luck doing that.

15. carbking

carbking

I don't want this post to sound like a commercial since I sell rebuilding kits; however:

I have had ZERO luck storing carburetors using modern fuel, and then reusing the carb without rebuilding.

So far, I have tried:

(1) Draining the fuel and running the engine until it dies (seems to work second best).
    (2) Filling the fuel tank
    (3) Adding any of the myriad of fuel condition/stabilizers

AND

(4) I finally gave up, and start my weed-eaters, lawn-mowers, tillers, etc., etc., etc. at least once a month, even in the winter; and yes, this works the best. What an absolute pain!

With either (2) or (3) above, it basically is rebuild the carb every time I go to use it, if it sits without use over the winter. With (1) above, its hit or miss whether I can get by without the rebuild. (4) works!

Jon.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I'll vouch for frequent use of the engine to prolong carb life....

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

I use plastic 5 gal buckets that have lids. Put the parts in and cover with diesel fuel and put the lid on.

18. badshifter

badshifter

I wouldn't store the carb. I'd find a guy driving cross country and loan it to him to "test" it for you. Just be sure to get a deposit from him......