Register now to get rid of these ads!

Proper positioning of hub cap / valve stem / tire brand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Jan 6, 2012.

1. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Lobuc, I feel your pain. When I first started reading this post I thought 'how ridiculous'. And from now on I'm sure I'll be checking all this shit at any car show that I attend. Arrrgh! :eek:

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Anyone want to jump in on proper hose clamp installation?
    I even clock the slots on those Ha Ha Great thread, lots of laughs.

3. Back in the 70's when I lived in South Gate Calif I have entered many car shows the R G Canning comes to mind and I remember some of the judges told me if you continue showing your cars you may want to consider the lining up of the tire brand / hub caps / valve stem for more points so ever since that day I was anal. Since we are on the anal subject in addition to me building my 32 Roadster I went as far as painting the cotter keys on the front end and the carburetor accelerator pump cotters. Also the hose clamps originally were galvanized and I polish them to the max I had people ask me where I had bought them and they could not believe when I told them I only polish them. I also changed the small nut on the back side of the hose clamps because I did not like the way they were looking after done so I changed them to a stainless nut and bolts and also polished them as well. When I am at a car show I also remove any small rocks that are in the tire treads and Armor All the surface of the tires. I am positive that I will find more detail to do on the car. Beside waxing the under side of the chassis rear end etc .... I better stop here before I get out of control into this post. I appreciate all of your comments I also have to laugh with some of these posts.

Thanks
    Frenchy

4. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

A number of years ago, a friend bought an MG Midget. He was quite proud of it and was eager to show it to me. The car was immaculate, but I noticed a small "pimple" on the hood top. I asked about it, and he sheepishly told me that he had caused it. One of the hose clamps was crooked and so he decided to correct it by resetting it with the screw mechanism on top. When finished, he dropped the hood and learned why the clamp was crooked ... the underhood clearance was so tight that the clamp had to be crooked so that it wouldn't hit the hood. I nearly bit the end of my tongue off to keep from laughing.....

5. Well I never did say if I was a pitcher or a catcher. ;)

6. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I just want to know how you got that picture in the rating part

7. OK one more thing on my subject of been anal this one is when you know you are beyond anal stages. I decided to touch up the FORD logo on my fan belt as it was fading away and I wanted to take care of this before the show as well as pulling all of the spark plugs and cleaning them around the porcelain where it was showing a bit of dirt sorry this is just me. I appreciate all of the comments on this post.

Frenchy

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Frenchy, you are not crazy, the Model A Ford restorers may be were they loose points if the fanbelt was made in 1932 or later, same with the wireing harness.

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After post # 3 I fell asleep.YAWN

10. I Drag

I Drag

I have a friend that returned a brand new 5-spoke wheel because the valve stem hole was not centered between 2 spokes. Unfortunately, this level of detail recognition means he rarely finishes a car.

11. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Details , like indexing spark plugs could be advantageous , but being a fuss bucket about everything, may leave you friendless.

12. You used to hang out with Hunter S. Thompson didn't you?

13. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Now that this has been brought to my attention...
    THANKS!
    thanks a lot.

14. You can dynamically balance tires and keep weights off of the outside. At least on the machine i use. You can set it up to put the weights that would be on the outside of the wheel on the inside of the wheel with tape weights.

15. slammed

slammed

Waste of time? Watching TV is a waste of time.

16. The valve stems and tyre brands need to match the same a what you have done with your trailer.

Just put the ficking tyres on and drive it!!