Register now to get rid of these ads!

Prop. valve for front brakes??? Brake system experts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kurt, May 26, 2005.

1. Kurt

Kurt

I really need to get my brakes working better on the old gasser. What i have now is stock 53 front brakes, 76 firebird rear, 81 cultlass pedal and booster (firewall was cut for one already), 68 chevelle master for 4 drum system and 3/16 lines to everything. Front chamber to the front and rear to the rear. Everything is new or rebuilt except the booster. The problem i have is if i adjust the fronts like they should be they will lock up the tires big time. Scary shit as i am still picking seat cushion out a my ass. I had a wilwood in-line adj. valve and it did nothing to help so i removed it. Someone told me to put it inline to the front brakes to slow them down but that don't seem right to me. Could it be the lack of weight on the front end?

It seems like a simple foolproof system as everything is sized to match each other. Unless? Any help or things to look at would be helpful.

2. DrJ

DrJ

line size doesn't matter, and you shouldn't need aproportioning valve.
    What you DO need is some rear wheel cylinders the same size or as close as possible as the rear had on the '53(?) the front brakes came off of. That way they will be proportional.

3. Kurt

Kurt

53 chevy rear size was 1" and the firebird is 15/16. Would 1/16 make that much difference?

4. DrJ

DrJ

That's about 13% less area and a smaller area wheel cylinder makes for less braking power so yes, it could be the source of the front being more "efficient" than the rear.

Also look for bearing grease or fluid of any kind on the shoes... It'll make a brake grab... (I found out at about 80mph)... :eek:

5. you say it is an old gasser....what size front tires do you have on it? what size rear?..what diameter? ....this never seams to get factored in when building the brake system

if your front tires are 4" wide , and the rears 12" ...it will make a BIG difference

6. can you reduce your pedal advantage? maybe mount the push rod lower on the pedal?

7. I'm not an expert but shouldn't the front resevoir be hooked to the back brakes and the back resevoir to the fronts?

8. Kurt

Kurt

Front tires are 205/75/14 26" tall, rears are 26x8 bias slicks untill marty gets my 28x8.5 cheaters to me. So all is close on size there.

9. Kurt

Kurt

I thought that also. But a friend is restoring a 68 chevelle for a guy and i checked his car out. Front to the front and rear to the rear and it was 4 drums also.