Register now to get rid of these ads!

History >>>Proof is in the Pudding:Early Chevy V8 Hot Rods!!!!<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Dec 24, 2009.

1. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

This thread is full of good pics. Glad I found it. :D

2. Originally they were not cheap believe it or not. They were considered cutting edge and anything cutting edge is always pricey.

There was a time when the NHRA first accepted imports in Gas Class, think Anglias. They were required to run small blocks, or engines under a certain displacement. That pretty much mandated small blocks.

3. Thanks for sharing. Cool stuff. Sorry to hear Gene broke his engine. He's a bad man - shifting with those pointy cowboy boots on. :D

4. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I know Rods & Rails are OK for the thread, but what about full size autos that aren't Chevy? Cool to post?

Also, are these pics too big?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Koz

Koz

A man after my own heart! I remember back in my Dad's shop in '56/57 or so. His full time job was yanking flatties for Chev conversions. Pop always kept the flatties, dear to his heart.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  6. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Another couple...this thread is fun!:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

More.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Always loved this thread....

9. Great scans! Thanks so much!!

10. This is the Deuce Roadster that got me HOOKED on them.
    I worked at Boeing in Renton WA on the brand new 707s from late 58 thru mid 61 and remember seeing this Roadster many times and dreaming my life away as I drove my 34 Ford and 56 F100. That Roadster was so beautiful, it might as well been a brand new car and only making $1.88 an hour, it was just a dream. Mine will eventually look very simular to this one except for the 390 Caddy/4spd w/OD in it. Have often wondered where the car went and if it still exists today, what a beautiful Roadster it was!!! Hope and pray it still exists!!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  11. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Well here she is again for you Dave!:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Here is the only pic I have of my 36 3W. It had a 56 265 adapted to 37 Cad/LaSalle adapted to 40 Ford rear end, Offy 3x2 w/Roch 2GCs,097 Duntov, Vette VCs, Schieffer alum flywheel and early Fenton cast iron "Black Widow" headers, Mallory dual point, 15in WWs, big and littles with China hats w/bars. Named it "Pink Poison" Was tough to beat but had a very weak rear end. Owned from late 59 to early 61. A rust free car back then!!

Attached Files:

13. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Check this out. It's from the 1961 Hot Rod Yearbook. Lot's of Chevy V-8s holding national records back in the day.

Attached Files:

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome man!!!! That sounds like an incredible car for sure and it makes me feel like I made a lot of right decisions when I chose the parts for mine. They match up to a lot of yours. Awesome!!! When were those Black Widow headers available?

Also the front grille shell on "THE HUSTLER" is so damn rad. Love painted interest. Thanks so much ZOMBRIAN!!!

15. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Show cars.:rolleyes::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Your daily SBC powered rod.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• ARPU.jpg
      ARPU.jpg
      File size:
      150.9 KB
      Views:
  17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love that you're keeping it alive Brian!!! Another Fine example buddy!!!

18. Hay Larry do you want to buy a rebuilt 1957 corvette fuel injection and i have the air cleaner also Bruce

19. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

You're daily SBC powered rigs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  20. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Time for more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

21. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

More....:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• CLA1.jpg
      CLA1.jpg
      File size:
      484.3 KB
      Views:
    • GC1.jpg
      GC1.jpg
      File size:
      152.6 KB
      Views:
    • GC2.jpg
      GC2.jpg
      File size:
      143.2 KB
      Views:
  22. Cool thread with cool pictures but not sure if those are "The early Days Of Hot Rods"

23. sorry guys but NOTHING sounds worse then a SBC running open headers except maybe a BBC they both give me headaches

and nothing aggrevates me more then seeing a cool ford, mopar, buick pontiac, caddy, olds or any other car that had /has there own engine familys with a shevy engine in it

which is what pisses me off about my gf's 50 pontiac its got a .40 over 350 chevy under the hood i wish the previous owner would of had the balls to bolt a pontiac engine in it instead of being another "LEMMING" and just doing what everyone else does/ did yes i want to find a poncho for it but she loves the damn car the way it is so my hands are tied

hot rodding is about being different not following the norm

its funny to me how many car guys want to be different,just like everybody else.......think about it for awhile ;)

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Hail the Mouse Motor! The King is dead (Ford Flathead) Long live the King (small block Chevy)!
    Chevrolet U.S.A-1

25. My first engine swap in my 55 was to put in a 265 in place of a six. After that it was a 301 Chevy with J&E 12-1 pistons and other go fast goodies. After that it was a 327. That's the one that's still in it.......

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Actually they are when compared to the entire timeline of hot rodding. If the mid 20's is the earliest days of hot rodding then the 50's and 60's still falls in the first half of hot rodding. Hot rodding has been around for nearly 85 years now and it's been over 50 of those years since the early chevy V8 came out so I'd say it falls in the early days wouldn't you? If you were 85 years old wouldn't you say your 30's would be the early days? :D:D And if you consider the actual movement of hot rodding as well as when the "meat" of it began which is directly after WWII then in 1960 it was only 15 years old compared to the 60 years from then to now.

In any ways, I alway refer to the golden age of hot rodding as the early days because that's when the pioneers were around doing their best work and quite frankly being born in 1982 definitely makes 1955 look like the "early days".:eek::D

Really? I thought it was about going fast? Traditional Hot Rodding isn't about being different either. We're pretty much confined to use what was there which almost certainly throws out the "being different" option. Even a flathead is pretty common place around here. I'm all for having your own personality reflected in your build but never different for the sake of being different. It's funny because next to a hemi I don't think there is anything nicer sounding then high winding 301/283 or a nasty 327......ok throw the flathead in there too!

Show some old pics show some old pics!!!!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh and ZOMBRIAN, I think I'm in love with Double Trouble!

28. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A lot of guys seem to forget that, in the beloved "golden days of hot rodding" (mid-'40s/mid '50s), it seems like 90 percent of them ran a Ford flathead......but that's different.

29. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I agree with you Jeff. The (what we now call) SBC came in the early days of Drags Racing rather than Hot Rodding. I, personally, hate calling it an SBC when that should include the 348 but most folks think of the smaller blocks instead. Maybe JJ should edit his first post and say the adolescent teen years of Hot Rodding.:p

I think this thread is intended to show that actual use of the Small Chevy V8 which was being used alongside the Olds, Hemi, Nailhead, Etc. There is no reason to get tunnelvision when building mid-50s or later era specific Rods. I don't know why some folks have a personal hangup with the Chevy!:confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: