Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects half way across the country conundrum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordman1, Sep 13, 2012.

1. fordman1

fordman1

Growing up my grandpa and I amassed a collection of cars out at his farm in North Dakota, but with him moving off the farm and me moving out of state most of those sold. Even though I knew I would have to deal with them at some point, I wasn't expecting it to happen right after he passed away. I have been told my aunts and uncle want to demolish everything at the farmstead and I need to remove what I have left. So what do I do, I have had the cars since I was between 15-17 so more than half my life. They aren't really in a state that I can sell from here, so regardless I will be going back. I am thinking Craigslist would sell them for way too cheap (though they are all far from perfect), crushing isn't a consideration (except to my extended family) and so I may be leaning to getting a truck and trailer to haul them out here to either build or sell at the swapmeet/on craigslist (but that will be a huge undertaking). Some of it will for sure come back to Portland OR, like my grandpas bench with his grandfathers vise, flathead blocks, random old ford parts and probably the bronco.

What is there? 1947 Ford Tudor Sedan with a 1948 Ford Tudor Sedan that was T boned in the 60s but no running gear under either (given up to 2 T bucket projects), 1948 Chevy four door Fleetline with a title and the 216 yanked out of, 1978 Ford Bronco that I came home from the hospital in and was my first car in HS and I flipped during a snow storm while in college.

Not terribly attached to the Ford but have been dreaming of building it for almost 20 years. The Chevy could be my family car, but it needs lots of work and it is a Chevy. The Bronco needs another body or I am thinking of combining it with my daily driver, 2wd 78 F150. Also there is a trashed 1956 Chevy truck cab and equally abused 1955 Pontiac Star Cheif four door that I want to steal parts off of.

Thoughts? Maybe I will put up the Ford and Chevy in the classifieds and see if any local HAMBers are interested so I don't have to deal with idiots on Craigslist and maybe get some gas money out of the deal?

Attached Files:

2. Maybe some local hambers can rent you a storage space if they have the room.At least long enough for you do decide how to dispose of them.

3. fordman1

fordman1

I should have been clearer, I have until May to get this done. I am leaning towards selling one or both of the cars to reduce the hassle in transporting them. It has just been hard to mentally prepare to let go of metal, I am guessing you all can understand. I think I will post in the classifieds and see what happens.

4. fordman1

fordman1

Well they are up in the classifieds now. I am flexible on the price but won't probably put them on Craigslist as I can't afford to give them away (plus there is the emotional connection to iron of course). I am hoping someone on the HAMB wants/needs a project and we can work a deal. Just hoping to cover the gas and trailer rental to go get whatever doesn't sell. At least there is a few months until I have to have the farmstead cleared off so there is time to work out a deal with people who are interested!

5. fordman1

fordman1

Also if there are any HAMB members in North Dakota that can help spread the word that they are available it would be much appreciated!

6. fordman1

fordman1

Well I joined the Suedes CC forum and I am hoping that helps get the word out in the ND, SD, MN area! Plus it is a pretty cool site if you have not happened upon it yet.

7. jesse1980

jesse1980

I'll let my step dads family know, they live by a town called Wilton, just north of Bismarck.

8. Well the way I see it you have two choices sell 'em or go after 'em.

If you have pics maybe you could make someone a package deal on the ford sedans. I think we have HAMBers in that part of the country that are honest enough to not gore ya.

9. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

I would pick the one car that you want the most. Or just the tools which will have more meaning to you, and remind you of Granpa everytime you use them. I have these 3 old sets of pliers, plain steel not even plated. They were given to me by my Dad over 40 years ago and are the first tools I ever owned - and I will never part with them - find uses for them all the time.

Gramps had a pedal powered sharpening stone, that's one tool I wish I had.

;)

10. fordman1

fordman1

Yeah I think selling is the best bet right now, given my current shop space and project funds. I will go back to help load someone else up and take the tools/random parts/work bench/mementos and that will probably fill a single car trailer easily. Already working with some local HAMBers back there to try and get the cars sold to a good home!

11. Good thinking.

Those cars are just cars but the tools now those are something that bring tradition with them. if my ol' man's tools could tell stories I could not let anyone in the shop. there are just things that are too personal for anyone to know. ;)

12. fordman1

fordman1

Well I have lowered the prices and now opened it up for a trade for a new body on my T, but still trying to lighten the load of stuff needing to make it the 1600 mile trek back to portland. Still need to work out a truck, trailer, and somewhere to store everything once it is home. Just details right?

13. I don't see anything there that is too terribly exciting for most. I would just head back there with a truck and part them out and sell the stuff off at the Portland swapmeet. Crush the rest. Take the funds you make and put toward something else you really want to build. Unless these are your dream cars.

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

rent a uhaul truck and trailer. take ford sedan and all the parts you can get off the wrecked one.sale the rest. unless you really love the 4dr chevy. since its grandpa's i would keep one of them some how some way.best of luck.

15. fordman1

fordman1

I think I have gotten over the emotional attachment, just want to see them go to a good home, and for more than scrap prices. Hopefully that is not too much to ask!

16. fordman1

fordman1

Well I think I have things more worked out. I found a guy in MN who will trade the Ford's and Chevy for a 1926 coupe body. Down to spare parts, the Bronco, the T body and my grandpa's work bench to haul back. Thinking a 25' trailer should do the trick which is a little more feasible to borrow (i hope!).

17. fordman1

fordman1

Coupe body got sold so now I am working a deal for one (maybe two) Sedan body with doors! still have to figure out a truck and trailer.

18. fordman1

fordman1

So my truck and trailer deal has fallen through. Any one in the Portland vicinity have a 1 ton or a 20-30' trailer I could borrow for Memorial Day weekend? I know it is a lot to ask. Working a few other options too.

19. fordman1

fordman1

Probably going to end up renting a car to get me, tools and some buddies out to ND. Then renting a van and trailer to get everything back. House move is only just beginning but I need to get that done before I leave in two weeks! Whew, cutting it close. Should be an epic trip! Planning to come back the south route and cut through Yellowstone/Tetons.

20. fordman1

fordman1

I have secured a dodge dually diesel for the trip, rented a uhaul trailer (though I may still try and borrow one to reduce costs), have the guy lined up to trade cars, my cousins will be there with a Bobcat to help move stuff, my sister will be there with food, two buddies are going along to help with driving and moving and we leave Thursday night! I will be posting updates along the way. Here's to hoping things go smoothly!

21. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck on the road trip.

23. fordman1

fordman1

Updates: my car buddy just let me know his boss canceled his vacation day so he is out. So only two of us driving, but better than me solo! Also ND is preparing for some massive flooding so really hoping to miss that, but we will see. It all adds to a better adventure story.

24. fordman1

fordman1

Loaded up and rolling!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Soviet

Soviet

Let me know if you need help around the Belfield, ND exit.
    Safe travels!

26. fordman1

fordman1

An hour till Spokane, first stop for diesel. Making great time!

27. fordman1

fordman1

Made it to Idaho!

28. fordman1

fordman1

Sun is coming up in Montana!

29. fordman1

fordman1

North Dakota! Home stretch.