Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Work Truck: 1956 Chevy Panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky_1974, May 14, 2012.

1. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

So I have had a hankering for a cool old work truck to use to pick up parts, haul stuff to swap meets that kind of thing. Now I live in Minnesota and know Titus and Tuck pretty well and have always admired the way they "use" their trucks Titus's '34 and Tuck's Ranch both have signs of love and that they can work. So that is what my goal is; to get a truck that I will not be afraid to use, but is still cool enough that I can take it to a cruise and not be heckled.

I want it to look era correct (for me that is late 50's early 60's). I want it to be a good driver, reliable but not so polished that I can't haul a motor, antique finds, swap meet fodder, wet & dirty dogs and the like in the back. I though a panel truck would suit my needs better as it is more secure and the dogs can ride in air conditioned comfort with me and my wife, yep has to be comfortable too, I am going to spend some time in this truck.

The candidate was located and a deal struck, it is a fairly solid 1956 Chevy 3100 panel truck with a 235 and a three speed. It supposedly ran and drove, well it arrive and it had some of the foulest varnished gas I had ever smelled but it did drive and it stops on 2.5 wheel cylinders and you need to keep the master full as you get about 10-15 stops before she is too low. Glad I had it shipped would have made for an interesting drive.:D

Here are the pics of it as it sat in Miami, Florida I have dropped the tank and gotten it cleaned out so time to paint it and reinstall. I also got some parts here are the HAMB to improve the looks. The front will get mono-leafs and rear will get some longer shackles to balance the stance. I am putting in a 3 speed overdrive transmission and got these rims and tires on the HAMB as well. I am not sure how long the tires are going to last as they are bit older than I thought they would be but I have them so I might as well roll them for now. I have a spare, right? The truck was stripped at some point and then I think the project was abandoned and sat out. The sheet metal has some pitting bit overall very solid, so at some point it will get a coat of glaze, some primer, blocking and maybe even color... I told a buddy of mine I want a good 30 footer, it has some repairs on it that if I was going for a show car would need to be redone but they are serviceable for now and can always be fixed later. This project is all about having a fun hauler not winning best paint or interior...oh yeah and those seats, they have to go too!

I start putting in new brakes and the mono leafs this week so hope to have some updated pics of the new stance.

Attached Files:

2. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I like the idea of a utilitarian vehicle. Simple and useful. I'm not big into the whole show truck thing. Kool find. I always wanted a panel or even a cool van. Good luck.

3. Nice panel truck you got there buddy! You should be able to put a t-5 after that 235 fairly easy, to get it highway happy!

4. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Well got the gas tank cleaned and painted all the varnish is gone but there is a bit of rust grit still in there. Not enough to cause problems but enough to mildly annoy you as you shake the tank for a half hour trying to get it out.:D

Attached Files:

5. cool project dude now find some stock seats and it will look old school!

6. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Yep it needs some seats for sure. I started putting in the new mono leafs up front while I wait for more painted parts (brakes & gas tank) to dry. Comparing the stock spring to the mono leaf it looks like I will be getting a nice altitude adjustment. Here is a before, hope to have an after soon...

Attached Files:

7. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Got the drop mono leafs in. It makes a big difference. Need to get the new wheels and tire on to see how it will look exactly, but it is getting closer to what I want.:D

Attached Files:

8. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

So a buddy stopped by Tuesday night and said he couldn't see my wife and I in the panel truck and that and I needed something written on the back of the panel. It got me thinking what would I put back there, so here is my idea in general terms. It needs the the vision and artistic talent of a sign painter to make it look cool and not like some lame photoshop in paint but you get the idea. Fake shops are lame, but this is so lame its awesome...hahaha

Attached Files:

9. wow that helps a whole bunch!

10. Great truck Keep the 235 & not much effort 327 dome pistons will fit,I had a 59 when I was 15 My friends brother in the marines used my engine at the hobby shop for a build, I remember after putting it back in & 2 clutches later he had built a power house, Wish he was still alive so I could find out more

11. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Well I got the few holes welded up and the floor painted time for insulation. You can also see the evaporator hung. I also split the exhaust so I can use this rear exhaust manifold I picked up at a swapmeet. I get my wheel and tire this week more progress hopefully. Also a shot of the new master cylinder and the getting ready to install the 3 spd overdrive! Runs good with the overdrive.

Attached Files:

12. Are you using a special method for welding your split manifold?

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

13. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Good old stick welder and nickel rod. You still need to clean the cast metal really good as it seems to really have plenty of oil soaked into it. Guess that leaking valve cover gasket caused some issue over time :)

14. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Great looking truck...I LOVE '55-'57 Panels!

15. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Looks awesome- A guy from town here has a panel- its a driver- totally worn in like a pair of levi jeans- :)

you need a reciever hitch for a single axle trailer now!

16. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Well I get the rims back from the powdercoater this week and got my split manifold on and 2 inch drop shackles last night. I ordered the last of the air conditioning fillings and should be getting it up on the hoist to get the new pipes fabbed up. More pics soon...

And Tuck for sure a hitch!

17. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Well I got the wheels on the AC working and 2 inch drop shackles in the back. Took it for a 700 mile maiden voyage to the Suede's Run 81 in North Dakota. Ran great with the exception of needing to change the fuel filter a few times. Ran 70-75 the whole way, we got one seat in need to get the other one finished and I will get some pics of them. Its moving in the right direction I think.

Attached Files: