Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project War Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leon Sandcastle, May 15, 2014.

1. oldolds

oldolds

Not every gasser had a straight axle. A car was a gasser or modified production as soon as you put an engine in it that wasn't available in it from the factory. I started out as classes for street cars, not the all out race prepaired pro cars that came in the mid to late 60's. Even then in the slower classes like D on up many were dual use cars. Many of these cars looked almost stock on the outside and went to work every day.

2. I am just using what I have available, I may try to rebuild the front suspension with some upgrades and upgrade the the drivetrain.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Personally, I like the idea of the non-straight axle gasser. It won't be hacked up for any future propective buyers, it'll have a decent ride, and still look tough as nails. Nothing wrong with putting in a smallblock Chevy if you're on a budget and want it done quick. Of course, one common traditional swap was the Studillac! Could always go with that!

4. I'm weighing in on power plants, even on the possibility of using the stock 3 plus overdrive trans with another engine... since some drag cars used them. First things first though, inspect the car and see what's what.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Thanks Leon -
    It's turning into a 50's 60's hot rod.
    299 inch Stude engine, T200-4R GM trans., Winters Quick Change rear end. Older, Mustang "styled" seats, SW gauges. Home made front disc brakes with Wilwood calipers all the way around.

On your's...yea..either way, straight axle or stock, as long as it's a little high in front...weight transfer and all..!

Mike

6. porknbeaner

porknbeaner

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/posts/9098955/

Look, drool and learn. The stude is a shoe in for Jr Stock, and SBC goes right in and without firewall work you can get it set back about 6-8%, with a minor mod you can get the entire engine behind the axle center-line.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  7. I have taken a look at the thread already, but thanks for the help. I hope this thing turns out well, otherwise I'm back at the finger painting college! :D