Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Project Thirty Eight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 14, 2011.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Uh oh... just when I thought the '38 couldn't get any more awesomer. I predict it'll keep the same personality, but it'll be even more pronounced now. At least I hope so, as this is one of my all time favorite hot rods.

Ryan: What's gonna become of the old Reher and Morrison smallblock? HAMB Auction? Give-away? Going back into a Camaro? Can I have it?

2. Deadbird

Deadbird

Man I love that car.

3. Keith

Keith

No Tony,The ARDUN is for Dixion's upcoming coupe project. Just wait and see.

4. rld14

rld14

Please say Lincoln Y Block... please...

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Looking forward to this!

6. A while back I remember seeing a clip of the '38 laying rubber all the way down a street....was sweet. Anyone have a link to it?

7. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

Whoa you scared the shit outta me I thought you sold it at first.I can't wait to see what you come up with cuz I've got a 38 deluxe s door with 23000 miles.Ithought I wanted a street rod also but have found myself moving toward a more original looking hot rod.Either way good luck on your build.(I would've cried too.)

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

ahaha, this is some sentence man. love your attitude.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Ryan, someone else had asked about the old build photos (and maybe an old thread?) of your '38. Is that stuff still out there? I searched around for a while last night and couldn't find anything.

I do remember seeing photos of it on the old site in 2000 or 2001.

The link to that video was posted earlier in this thread^^^

10. Mr4Speed

Mr4Speed

I asked my Magic 8 ball if the sbc will be used on the salt flats and it said "Absolutely"

Then i asked if the sbc will go in a roadster and it said "Absolutely" again!:cool:

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Build it like that rendering you have..done by that English fella years back...what was his name again?
    C'mon.... do it.

12. alchemy

alchemy

What color are you going to paint it? ;)

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Something told me I was procrastinating too long getting my '38 coupe built with the NASCAR 355 so i could line up against you at the HAMB drags. Thought it would be cool to see how it would stack up against the Rehr/ Morrison Oh well, I've got an alternate plan for it and the Doug Nash 5 spd so plan B it is.
    BTW, can't wait to see what you and Keith have cooked up. You will share the build.........won't you?

Frank

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Hmm, I'm picturing a '38 Ford version of his T-bird. Black with Halibrands is a must but the question remains: Y-block, FE, or MEL?

I can't wait to see.

-Dave

15. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

Maybe I'll see it in January when I'm down that way.

16. John68rs

John68rs

You don't know me from Adam but I was totally bummed when you inferred that you'd sold your car and elated with you that it's getting a makeover and a fresh resurrection. I'm hopeful that I'll get to follow the progress. Best of luck.

17. Ryan,Hey,I know the feeling! I drooled over this 42 Stude for years before I finally got the guy to sell it to me, I brought it back to life as he had let it set in a barn for 15-18 years.I got it going and raced it,on the track and on the street for 5 years.My then wife of 16 years said enough is enough and divorced me...I lost my house(almost paid for...) and everything in it,but I got the important stuff...My 76 Harley (in boxes)my Stude,70 chevy truck and trailer,tools,lazyboy recliner and my old stereo.I was forced to sell that cherry old truck,my trailer,and the motor & trans. outta the coupe. The coupe went up on jacks for 15 years till I paid for another house,then it came off the jacks and I started a 5 year restoration of it.Now it's back on the street with a 540 hp sbc/Liberty TKO 600 and is faster than ever! Like Chief Dan George says "Endeavor to persevere"! Man,what a long strange trip it's been! I am soooo glad to be bangin gears harder than ever in the old D/G Studebaker again!!!!

18. How about keeping it all Dearborn and go for a full race 427.....?
    Now that would be something different (and not much of a daily driver i must admit )

19. I can relate Ryan. My 54 tudor's been with me since I was 16 and I'm 42 now. Nearly all the important stuff in my life has occurred in or near that car.

I tore mine apart about 5 years ago and have been held up due to funding, but I should have it back on the road soon.

20. toddc

toddc

For various reasons, lately I've considered selling my Pontiac (also the first Rod I built) and putting the money towards more "usual" pursuits. But after the way my heart sank when I read the quote above, I think my mind is made up.

Thanks, Ryan, for the nudge in the right direction.:cool:

21. Ryan,
    Some cars are just worth keeping. I used to know a guy that had a '46 Coupe that was in a constant state of flux. Lifted, lowered, tail dragging, down in the snout. Flatty, Y Block, Caddy. He loved that car and it stayed with him even while he didn't have a real address for many years.

The '38 is an icon for sure and there is no reason for it to leave. I love it the way that it is and I don't doubt if I am still around when it gets done the next time I will still love it. I will try and keep up with the progress.

22. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I was thinking about this car the other day.. What's been happening so far?

iPhone - TJJ app

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Still kind of in the parts collection and tear down period... Moving slowly as I'm in Texas and the car is in NorCal. Will hit it hard this summer.

Attached is a bit of a teaser.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

Attached Files:

25. Why don't you flip it around for us to look at? :rolleyes:

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My phone almost let me zoom up on the intake enough to get the part number so I could confirm our suspicions. ;)

This is gonna be pretty cool once it get's in the thick of it and it's moving along. Until then the suspense is giving me an ulcer.

27. I don't recall you saying anything about it being blown? Or did you? Awesome.

28. alchemy

alchemy

Blown Olds or Caddy?

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You realize we're going to hold you to your word? :)

30. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you hurry, you could get her back together to make a pass at Mo-Kan in August. This will be #10 you know....

-See ya, -Abone.