Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project "No Buck$ 49"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod 49, Jan 20, 2009.

1. rpol7966

rpol7966

You have done a great job on your truck! PLEASE don't chop it! It has "that" look of an old warrior that has been given a new lease on life. Leave it alone and enjoy! Just an old fart's opinion!

Tim

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

NOOOOOOOOO!!! I too love Greg Fleury's truck, all but the chop! I had the advantage of being a local in St. Paul at the time he was putting that truck together, and I remember my heart sank when he chopped it. You have nailed the stance, wheels, tires, and general "vibe" with your truck so hard that anything else will be too much. (hmmm, maybe louvers though.......) Just my .02 worth.

3. chevyshack

chevyshack

I really liked your truck till the chop came up. I love the unchopped look on a five window. But its your truck. You can ruin it if you want to.

4. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Hmmmm..... I may have to rethink this! I was ready, seat mounting is already perfect, kinda bummed about killing the wore out paint on my roof, sheesh...

5. I like it better un-chopped...

6. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

I vote. No chop..

7. I'm a chop-a-holic. But not for this truck. You have the skills and I'm sure it will turn out great. But IMO these trucks don't have the line for a chop.

Attached Files:

8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I'm with the rest of 'em,,, if it works , don't fix it !! But , ya know if you still want to chop it , I'd error on the side of cautious,,I think 5" is to much. good luck

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude, I think ya got jumped!

10. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

This is the first time I saw this thread....nice work for a desert guy:rolleyes:

11. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Looks better unchopped too. The whole vintage parts getter vibe would be ruined - the yellow truck looks a bit street-roddy with the funky side mirrors and all, and the dark 1-piece windshield glass. Another no-chop vote if we're voting.

12. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

With the AD trucks if you do chop um ya can't stop there man. It throws it all off the bed gets too long and the hood looks big. If your gonna chop it you will have to rework the bed and hood to make it look good. Stay were you are man it looks real good

13. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I was looking out my windows last night for torches and a lynching party! OK, bad idea on my part. I still like the chop thing, but didn't know if it would ruin the vibe on the style of this look. I guess I'll leave it alone, finish it up and drive it for awhile! The votes are in, I got my ass kicked, so I'll stay on the path I originally started! Thanks for being honest guys!

davidh73750 likes this.
  14. 46stude

46stude

Best thing to remember is: If you like it, do it.

So what if some of us don't think they look good chopped? What matters is if you think they look good chopped.

Even if you chopped it, I'd still snap a couple pics if I saw it at a car show.

15. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Nice Brack job!

16. Deadend

Deadend
    from Austin, TX

Awesome job on the truck man, I just found this post and it gave me all the motivation I needed to start on a '52 5 window my grandpa has lying around his ranch.

17. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Here's a question... Since I lowered the seat so far down, the sun visors are waaaay up there. Anybody ever done anything different to make them swing down farther/lower when you use them? I hate looking into the sun! Any ideas?

18. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

How about a fold down sun visor off the existing visor ??

19. billys54

billys54

awsome lookin truck

20. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

X2 I got a 54 and you couldnt pay me to chop it for some reason GM had their act together when they designed these trucks the bodys are perfect !!!!!!:cool:

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Sun glasses??

22. Deadend

Deadend
    from Austin, TX

What about making an extended bracket or longer swing-arm thingamajig?

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Couldn't have been me leading the pitch forks and torches thing - this time - I was making steaks in Phoenix last night. Promise! Chopping your truck would have been like painting glasses on the Mona Lisa - maybe kinda sexy, but somehow just wrong!!! That said though, it is YOUR truck, and it only has to appeal to you, and possibly whoever buys it down the road. Glad to see you rethought your decision though... P.S. What are these, how you say, sunvisors? Took mine out of the Plymouth when the pivots got so loose thy whacked me in the face under hard acceleration! Maybe that's why I'm half blind!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  24. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Uh huh... my suggestion was going to be as highly technical as the above.

hmnn... you could make the brackets and fab your own 'fulton sunvisor' or more specifically a custom variation of it to cover the outside top of the glass... which might make the truck a little fancy from your theme so far.

Another option is to have a window tint installer run a line of tint across the top at the correct height & width to help block out the sun there. They have all kinds of crazy shades and colors these days.

-W

25. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Got the fuel tank in and all bolted up. If you look closely, you can see that there are 2 lines coming out of the fuel tank. [​IMG] [​IMG]The original was 5/16" which is only good for about 250 hp and not nearly enough for what I needed. I bent up a 3/8" line and ran it parallel with the original (had to leave it in because the sending unit is attached to it) drilled a hole up top and ran it over to my fuel line. I now need to cut the extra off the eye bolts and screw in the fuel tank ground for the gauge.

26. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Thinking about cruising up to the Billetproof event in Washington come June. Any NW club want to adopt a a So Cal car junkie for the weekend in June? Could be a fun 1100 mile road trip!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  27. If you can make the trip it's well worth it. It's a great weekend!

28. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I'm in the same boat. I was thinking about adding a second visor panel hinged off of the bottom of the first. I haven't got around to building anything yet.

29. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Off the truck subject for just a minute... Went up to help my dad set up his car in the Boise Roadster Show (his first big show of anykind). Here it is after we had it all cleaned and setup [​IMG] sorry all you full on show guys, it's a street car so no huge carpet or display stuff (dad made the stantions with some rods and pistons he scored from Dennis Radfords' Pro Mod car)! The car won it's class and we enjoyed the moment! [​IMG]

30. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Now back to the truck... The frame is ALL done! Here's the down and dirty engine block (steam cleaned inside and out, quick hone, new cam bearings and freeze plugs. [​IMG] Waiting for rings and bearings so I can put together the short block this week! Heads are being finished up, so I can get the motor installed pretty soon! Want to get the whole drivetrain in, before installing the cab and bed. Been looking for an old ice chest to put in the back of the truck and scored this from a guy I did some striping for a couple days ago. An old BROWN one even, Coleman ice chest that the inside is real nice and he was going to toss it! Striped it up last night and it's ready to bolt in! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010