Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project "No Buck$ 49"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod 49, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Very nice build.
    A S-10 fan and clutch should fit in the same amount of room as your spacer/fan, I went through several GM full size trucks and cars and found all have different lenght extensions/mounts and even different clutches thicknesses, the S-10 clutch and extension worked for me.

MrC.

2. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Great thread, I just finished it!

Those LED conversion bulbs only work with clear lenses, and I discovered they work best with clear glass lenses.

I built LED tail lights for my 36 GMC in my avatar using vintage Guide clear utility lights and I found some cheap but nice LED boat lights (non sealed beam style) and I gutted them and fit the insides into my vintage housings, they are incredibly bright and look great going from clear to red!

I uploaded some photos of my conversion, the last one is of one of the LED conversion bulbs like you got with the extra diodes in a 1940 Chevrolet parklight I use as a marker, looks decent, very bright, but the ones I modified to fit are nicer and more even looking.

With the right lens they don't show up as dots either, and with no warm up or cool down (seen as a fade in and out) they really stand out.

EDIT: the images uploaded in a random order... but the 40 chev one is in there, (36 GMC LED Conversion (15).JPG)

Attached Files:

3. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Here's a little video I just made to show the stereo door latching [​IMG] to the holes in the dash. http://youtu.be/gyXH_E4U0tw The 2 outside edge nuts that hold the trim piece (on top), catch on the dash holes. I tweaked the door a bit and it works perfect!

4. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Hey LN7, thanks for showing your LED light deal! Very cool!

5. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

read this thread on the chevy truck forums love it just as much here. i havent got to start on mine, been busy as hell in the shop, but am gathering lots of parts boss :cool:

6. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I'm pondering actually writing a book on this whole build. Using more pics that I didn't post and even having more little cheap (not related to this truck) how-to tricks in the back. Is this something anybody would be interested in? Think it would sell? I'm curious...

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell yes! Not only would I buy it, if you would like, I'll help put it together! I think the world needs a hot rod book that is more than "Order chassis "A" from supplier "B" and mate with body "D" from supplier "Q", drive"... There is always the 4.750.269 zillion little things that we call "details" for people to figure out. This has been covered for the early Ford guys with the Bishop/Tardel book, but not really ever for the later crowd. Hence, the 4000 redundant questions on the H.A.M.B. everyday.

8. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I've started putting it together and I think it's going to come out pretty cool! Still working on pricing (LOTS of variables) with the printer and how to market this thing...

9. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

10. Cymro

Cymro

A book would be cool, I for one would be interested.

11. Subscribed. This thing is so cool I can barely stand it. I might drill a hole thru the bumper on one of my wrecks just so I can mount a bottle opener over it - might be the best idea ever..A book would great!

12. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I've been working on the book and it's coming along pretty good! I'm probably a third of the way into it and I'm doing it more in the order of how you'd actually build it, since my posts were kind of all over the place.

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Killer thread! Details are cool! How'd the little tiki guy turn out?

I had grief with LED bulbs and switched to 1157 heavy duty bulbs and wrapped wire around the 53' Buick housings to ground.Problem solved

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  14. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

He's just cruizin'! [​IMG]

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Dude! Been meaning to text you back the last couple of days but been going 200 mph trying to get projects done and out...

16. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

This is another one of those I’m real cheap deals! Instead of just buying the lower door seal, I figured I’d build my own and use it to hold my carpet down at the same time. I went and picked up a piece of 1 ½” x 1/8” aluminum angle and cut them to the length of the door opening. The rubber is from the back doors of a ‘79 Suburban (practically free at any wrecking yard!) and it slides onto the bottom of the aluminum.[​IMG] I squirted some weather strip adhesive in the pinch area and slid the rubber in place. [​IMG] I used a black sharpie to mark (I hadn’t removed the line yet) where my holes needed to be drilled, then countersunk them. I used some stainless oval head screws to hold it in place. The rubber seals up right below the door panel and it keeps out what air was sneaking around into the cab! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Awwww dude! Bitchin'!!!

18. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

If all goes well it'll be outside the Suede Palace in the Alley!

19. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

That's awful slick right there hotrod 49.

good thinkin'.

-W

20. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I love it! I'd rather build it myself than buy it if I can. Great fix!

21. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

22. aceuh

aceuh

awesome build sir!

23. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I forgot to show this awhile back. I found this in an old motorhome and thought it would be cool in the truck. An SW Motor Minder vacuum gauge! It's kinda cool watching how it works while cruising! [​IMG]

24. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Those Motor Minders are great aren't they? Cool accessory to a cool truck!
    I have one just like that and was too stupid to step up to the earlier decade version when given the chance three times....
    Funny how they "dance" when you peg the throttle!

25. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Trying to finish up some little details and one was the door armrests. New they cost between $30-35 per side and with as little as I've spent I couldn't justify it. I took a measurement of the door screw spacing and figured I'd do a little research. One thing I love about the Chevy R&D guys is they used a lot of the same things and measurements on LOTS of their stuff! Makes it nice when you want to be creative. So I'm walking around the boneyards looking for something that would work and noticed the 70's Chevy vans had the same screw spacing as the early truck! DON'T use the later ones because the holes go at an upward angle and won't work. Alex found 2 perfect ones out of a '77 (Ice Cream van!) with no windows, so they didn't get rotted out. 8 bucks for the pair, cleaned them up, sprayed the same vinyl dye I used on the other plastic in the truck and I have my low-buck arm rests! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  26. rgrhoward

rgrhoward
    from Tacoma, WA

Im really late to this build thread... It's awesome!

Very inspiring!

27. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

someone asked for info on the plastic used on the interior, I've got the same inquirery. I'm working my 52 over and would really like to use that stuff for my doors and headliner! I would be very interested in buying your build book, you've demonstrated an over the top ability to see and build things from some unusual sources and insight into that would be great learn.

28. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

There are 2 versions of the plastic I used; Komatex and Sintra sign PVC. I'm pretty sure I used the 4mm thick version. Hope that helps...

29. Superfly

Superfly
    from Minnisota

Well when is the Burn out Vid coming????? I am building a similar truck and will be using you gas tank idea but will shoot straight out the back through a roll pan and a flip down liecnce plate holder

Waiting on the Rolling burn out vid

Jaime

30. X2 on the thanks for the gas tank idea...great work brother