Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project "No Buck$ 49"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod 49, Jan 20, 2009.

1. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I'm having fun still! Thanks for all the compliments!!

2. good lookin truck

3. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

4. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Before I finished up bolting the bed down, I needed to figure out my fuel filler. I was going to do the out the back thing, but didn't want to take the strength from the rear of the bed. An old piece of muffler tubing to make the corner and a piece of 2" fuel connector line [​IMG] and it should work. I took the inner fenders I picked up at last years Hot Rod Reunion at Bakersfield for $10, trimmed off 2" from the side and an 1 1/2" from the bottom [​IMG] I welded some small shelf brackets to the parimeter edge of the fender [​IMG] poofed a little undercoat and riveted it to the bedsides and screwed it to the wood. Before they went on, I sprayed some Rustoleum dark brown semi-gloss to tie it in. I then masked off a nice clean line, ran a bead of black silicone around it to seal the water out and here it is [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I scored a chunk of 2" channel and a piece of 2"x1/4" from my friend Alex and used them to make my front fender supports. After getting the fenders and hood lined up, I measured, drilled and welded my brackets to bolt to the front of the inner fenders. This pic was before I drilled the frame holes [​IMG] There's a couple holes on the side of the frame to access bolting everything together. These will get sandblasted and painted before final install. The lower radiator supports were already built, but I need to finish the upper ones. I used the top bolt for the front end support to build my brackets to. Some 1"x1/8" bent up to go around the ends of the radiator and a piece of 1"x1/4" for the side was all I needed. [​IMG] I tacked them in place, then unbolted them to blast and paint with the lowers. [​IMG] I'm getting closer!!!

6. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Picked up my wiring harness off Ebay. EZ Wire 12 circuit [​IMG] (no need for power window or any other extra stuff) came complete with switches (ignition, headlight, high beam and wiper) for $215 shipped! Smokin' deal!

7. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

Good progress, I'm excited to see the end result

8. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Finally got the inner fenders painted on the front clip. Welded up all the holes, threw a little mud on the bad spots [​IMG] and painted them chassis black [​IMG] I then striped it all up to match the firewall and bolted it in for good! [​IMG] I need to finish cleaning up and painting the steering shaft, so that'll be done. I've been working on a bunch of different things and will have pics up shortly...

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

10. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Now when I drive (call me lazy!) I like using the center armrest to relax and also have my bladder buster drink in it's holder! So here was my idea for both in my truck, but could be removable if I wanted it to just look stock inside (ok, sorta stock inside...) I had a friend of mine at the muffler shop make up a couple pieces of tubing. I did a short piece that had the flared out end to slide the main tube into and the main tube. I took an 1/8"x6" chunk of plate, drilled some holes for bolts (and tacked them in so it was a one person install) figured out the angle I wanted and welded the tubing on. [​IMG] (notice the nut welded on the tube and the bar stock welded to the bolt, so no tools were needed) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The next step is making my holders of the drinks and then welding a piece of plate to the top, for holding the padded upholstered arm rest.

11. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Trying to find a steel ring to make the top of my holder was a little tougher than I though it would be. I finally just bought a 3'x1/4" chunk of bar stock at OSH and decided to try making something myself. I had an old nitrogen bottle top, so I figured I'd use that 'cuz the diameter was about right. I tacked the rod to the side of the cap [​IMG] and then used a torch to make it nice and orange. Keeping it glowing about 2" ahead of the bend, I proceeded to make a nice circle [​IMG] I took my cutoff wheel and trimmed it so the ends would be flush with each other. I little more torch and some pliers to form it, I then tack welded the ends together [​IMG] Using the cutoff wheel again, I cut the weld that was holding it to the cap and 'Voila... Drink holder rings! I need to finish taking pics to show the rest of the deal and then on the some other things!

12. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Backtrack to my steering column. I'd mocked the steering shaft up when I was building the truck, but needed to wrap it up. Chevy was nice enough to make most of their shafts the same basic design, so that really helps. I used the early 70's Chevy pickup upper and the '81 Malibu lower. I took the truck and car shafts, drilled out the holes where the plastic glues them together and then knocked the 2 pieces apart [​IMG] After blasting the pieces (found another top with nice rubber) I painted them, slid them together and bolted it up [​IMG]

13. sinks88

sinks88

Super great build thread

14. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

amazing,
    i always wanted a 5 window and after looking at this thread i am on the hunt again.
    great work

15. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I just read this thread from start to finish. Oh well, I guess I really didn't need to get that report out tonight... Don't tell my boss!:eek: I wish I had found it sooner to throw in my .02, but you pretty much nailed it. Good work. I'm sure I'll enjoy watching you finish her off as much as I've enjoyed reading the history of the build. Keep it up!

16. rustdodger

rustdodger

I've been following this thread for several months now. It looks like the project is winding down so I wanted to say thanks for sharing how low buck can be quality too. I've filed away several ideas for future use from your build. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us and keep up the good work!

17. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Man, I love the arm rest, that is really inovative. Plus I love the whole idea of this ride. Good luck and keep up the great work!

18. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Thanks everyone for the compliments! It's been fun and a challenge doing this, but I think it will work out nicely. I'm glad I'm able to help with some ideas, as I've picked up a few in the HAMB also. I can't wait to see how the interior is going to look finished, being both simple and inexpensive! And really looking forward to driving this thing as it should obliterate the tires! I'll be posting more stuff soon, so stay tuned...

19. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Aaaaaarrrrrggggg! I just broke my perfect pass.side visor! I need to find another one now (47-53) if anyone has one they want to sell.

20. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

are you going to have it at Rons' brush off party ?

21. Just saw this thread for the first time and read it start to finish. Dadgum yer hide....now I might need to get myself and AD truck! ;) Excellent job!!

22. We've got pretty similar starting points! Hopefully mine will turn out partially as cool as yours!

23. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Here is my drink holder/armrest with all the pieces welded on and some brown paint[​IMG] I used some huge washers I found for the cup supports and the tabs on top were some scrap I had with the holes already drilled! I need to get some furniture/upholstery mounts to drill and install into the wood to bolt it in place when its upholstered![​IMG] I have some rubber to glue onto to base washers to make it look finished. I think it'll work...

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

I was wondering where this exhaust tube was going?? :D

25. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Hey, more stuff! Finished the visors... Found another pass. side, I blasted, painted and it was ready to go. I used 87 Chevy Suburban visors for my flaps. I scrubbed all the vinyl down good and sprayed them with SEM brown vinyl dye. I then slid the newer visor (about a 1 3/4" taller than stock) onto the older truck mount and it's perfect [​IMG] with the lowered seat! I then worked on mounting my early, liquid filled coil on the firewall. After deciding on not drilling more holes, I decided to use the cross rod holes in the firewall dimple. I cut a chunk of 1 1/2" angle, drilled my holes and bolted it loosly in place. I welded a piece of flat plate to it, to bolt the coil to. After making sure it would work I finished welding, ground it smooth [​IMG] painted and put it on for good. [​IMG] Now I need to get all the wiring done then bolt the coil on for good. Finished mounting the lower gauges [​IMG] (sorry for the glare) so I can get to wiring shortly...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
    enloe likes this.
  26. chaddilac

chaddilac

Lookin good!!!!

27. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I just found these pics and realized I never showed you guys my trans cooler. I found this aftermarket oil cooler on the front of a late 90's Chevy truck at the local pick n pull and snagged it and the stainless lines hooked up to it for $15. I mounted it outside the frame, where it's out of the way [​IMG] Then proceeded to take the hoses off the fittings and had my friend Hot Rod Bob tig some bungs on the ends, so I could use 5/16" hard line to the trans. [​IMG]

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I know it was snowed in on Monday!!!

29. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Uh......yeah, just a little snow! Ill be posting some stuff in just a little while. Needed to get Christmas behind me!