Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project "Log-Dog", 1950 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cmarcus, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Those are aluminum , they copy the 37 desoto close but no cigar. Just flip your front bumper upside down. If you don't have a one piece go to that. That's my taste any how. I used the desoto bumpers on my 36 ford roadster, and 49 plymouth bumpers on my 46 chevy coupe. So I like ribbed . and I think you are going to end up with a nice car.

2. drew1987

drew1987

What you mean flip the front one? What does that look like? Can't picture a difference.... Mines on a dresser downstairs now I must look.

So cmarcus sound like your good at body work. That's a blessing of a skill to have. I thought about nosing and pancaking a bit. One-piecing the hood, one piece window, but that means a new visor too. Maybe down the road. I like like all the decorative stuff so I don't know about decking

3. cmarcus

cmarcus

So this company actually makes these ribbed ones specifically to fit 49-52 Chevy, which is awesome. Those pictures are right off the website. And thanks - a nice car is certainly the plan! :)

4. cmarcus

cmarcus

I tried to find a good picture that helps to visualize it, but couldn't. It essentially changes the angle slightly, and makes it lower to the ground, so it helps achieve a lower look.

I wouldn't necessarily say I am "good" at bodywork. With the help of a friend who is a skilled welder - by trade and profession - I will be able to get it done. He is teaching me TIG welding, gas welding, etc. (free welding classes, AMAZING I might add, skills I have always wanted so I can do more of this stuff in the long term). My shaved door handles were my first attempt, and turned out ok. I will need to do some more sanding/high build primer/sanding/repeat, to get it to look right. He did the welding on the trunk, I did the finish work. Again, it turned out ok, decent for now until final prep for paint. He has all the stuff to deck, nose, french, chop, etc. He as excited as I am, which helps :)

5. drew1987

drew1987

That's awesome man be sure to take many many photos

6. cmarcus

cmarcus

Speaking of photos, here is some catch up from the weekend. We made killer progress, however it was two steps forward, and one step back. Got the entire motor back together, which was even further than my dad had expected. BUT, we didn't get it to run. Everything was there - fuel, timing, dwell, compression, and we even had a couple pops. However, by the time we got SUPER close to it firing, the fuel pump sprung a massive leak, and simultaneously the coil started smoking (worked great on this thing before we rebuilt it, just old). So, we know it is ready to run, just need 50 bucks in parts and we are there!

Just a simple cleaning of the block and heads with some emory cloth. Super therapeutic.
    rebuild 1.jpg
    Learned how to set valve lash. Definitely a science to it...but fun to do.
    rebuild 2.jpg

These Walton Fab mounts are incredible. Worth the money. Once we get the mounts in the frame, it'll fit like a glove. Can't wait...couple weeks!!
    rebuild 3.jpg

And here is where we left it. It's a really bitchin' looking motor. Can't wait to see it resting in the rails. Stay tuned!
    rebuild 4.jpg

7. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It's looking good. Any progress is good progress. Keep going.

8. cmarcus

cmarcus

Motor goes in and gets fired next weekend. Stay posted!

9. Are you on facebook cmarcus? There's a guy on the wisconsin traditional hot rod & custom group that has a set of 49 plymouth bumpers for sale, you might be interested

10. cmarcus

cmarcus

Ryan, thanks for the heads up. Right now, I have more pressing issues mechanically that are requiring my $$$. Wish someone wanted to just donate like 1,000 bucks to my cause. I'd have one heck of a ride! Yeah, I'm that close...and on that much of a budget... o_O:confused:

11. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

As for bumpers I'm just old and stuck in my ways. In doing a custom I always try to use parts from newer cars than the one I'm working on. I love 37 desoto ribbed bumpers, I used them on my 36 ford roadster. I also like the 49 plymouth bumpers, I used them on my 46 Chevy coupe. I THINK (my old opinion) on your Chevy to turn the front bumper upside down it gives the appearance of the car being lower. I have 2 50 Chevys that way. (Grapevine & Heartless). And my be cheaper for you, I sand large washers to shim so that when bolt secured not to dent the bumper.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  12. cmarcus

cmarcus

Roger, thank you for the tip. I will take a look at doing that for sure. Do you have any before/after pics?

13. Are the mounting bolts on 50 chevy bumpers offset? I just went in the garage to see if I could do this trick on my 52 dodge and it looks like my bolts are centered (height wise) in the bumper so flipping it would do nothing.

Just curious is all

14. cmarcus

cmarcus

I believe they are, which is what creates the lowering effect. The filler panel naturally ends up closer to the top of the bumper.

HotRodRyan likes this.
  15. cmarcus

cmarcus

Awesome, thank you!

16. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

The bumper bolts to the brackets ok, but I use large washers in places where the bracket were tweaked from bumping into something. I also trim the bumper brackets where they bolt to the frame,by cutting a wedge shape from top of brackets. and elongate the mounting holes on bracket at rear hole. Hope this makes sense.

17. cmarcus

cmarcus

Some quick pics...better ones from my real camera later. Very pleased with how easily the engine and transmission went in. Tons of room still, and already have my trans crossmember plans sketched up...very simple and will easily install with the existing crossmember "stubs" from where we cut it out.

The caveat to all this is unfortunately the engine still would not fire for us. New points and condenser, swapped carbs, new coil resistor when they precious one seemed burned up, pulled the plugs (twice) to clean them from flooding...we got to the point where we just had to walk away after being confused. We did get it to bark once, and numerous fireballs from the headers....but no full idle.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461464960.138911.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461465015.881648.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461465033.871247.jpg

18. drew1987

drew1987

Looking real good bro! Bet that feels good to have that in there

19. Maybe the dizzy is 180 off?

20. cmarcus

cmarcus

It was initially a couple weeks ago. Fixed that issue....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Fire in tail pipe or fire from carb timing ( dist position) Just make sure plug wires in correct position on dist to eng

22. drew1987

drew1987

I really like that. Wish there was a way to keep the guards

23. cmarcus

cmarcus

Exhaust fire, not carb. Checked all that. 3x, maybe more. Checked and re-checked dizzi, had the timing light out, and everything. Swapped carbs. Two separate trips to NAPA - new points and condenser, 2nd trip for a new ignition resistor.

Keep in mind, I am working with my dad, a 30+ year technician, GM license/certified, used to work in dealers, rebuilt his own engines for fun, and so on. So you can imagine his frustration right now. We got to a point where we just had to step away to get a clear head (that and the ether was getting to us :p) He is going to do some de-bugging and thinking on it this week. We know it'll be something small and stupid oversight.

It was a two steps forward, one step back weekend. Hot rodding anyways. No one said it was easy! :confused:;):D

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Run through the valve adjustment again; maybe something got "off" there. Weak valve springs? Fuel, spark, timing, it should "run". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. cmarcus

cmarcus

Valve springs are new, and we set (and re-checked a couple weeks ago) the lash, but that was going to be the next "easy" thing on the list, pull the valve covers to see if anything for some reason is hanging up.

26. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

When the cam timing marks are together the engine is NOT firing on number 1, it is 180 out. I have found many guys think that is proper for number 1 to fire and set the distributer up that way then can't figure out why it won't start.

27. cmarcus

cmarcus

Correct, it is on #6 when they are lined up. We had it on #1 at first, and fixed it.

28. cmarcus

cmarcus

Anyways, let's post some cools pics, and enough talk about the frustration of the engine! Thanks to my cousin, buddy Justin and Dad for all the help!
    DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0028.JPG DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0032.JPG DSC_0036.JPG DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0052.JPG DSC_0057.JPG

guthriesmith and Habitual like this.
  29. cmarcus

cmarcus

So, after talking it over with my pops more, we are more and more convinced that something just is not right with the internals on this 283, that we are not getting the compression we need. After all the double/triple checking on all the usual suspects (timing, spark, fuel, ignition, etc.) we feel the only right thing would be to pull the motor out, and go over it again without a deadline looming.

That being said, we REALLY want to get this thing on the road for the season in the meantime. Now that we have seen how EASY the motor goes in with only a few bolts, we are going to be dropping in a good 'ol belly button 350 SBC marine engine that was readily available. So, stay posted for engine drop in 2.0... :)

30. drew1987

drew1987

Wow bro. Exactly like me huh? Not the best feeling, but it will all work out for our good. We'll be driving them and fixing other stuff before we know it