Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Georgia Racing Hall of Fame - 1934 Ford Modified Race Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Elvis, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Hey Ya'll,

As some know, I'm a full-time volunteer (no paid employees) at the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame in Dawsonville, Ga. And since we opened in 2002, we've had four vintage race (all non running) cars outside the museum as you go in. The only one that belongs to the museum is a 33/34 Ford 5 - Window Modified. And ever since we had a newer Nascar Busch car wrapped in our decals for a show car to take to races and such. And I thought, we go to enough racing renuions and car shows to advertise for the museum, why not take this old heap and turn it into something nice. And so, at the last board meeting, I got it approved to do everything I asked to do (basically everything to get it in showable, running condition.) And today we took the car down to 2007 Georgia Racing Hall of Fame Inductee, Bruce Brantley's place, so he could do everything mechanically.

Now remember, this thing sat for about 9-10 years outside the museum, but it rolled right onto our trailer with a little man help:rolleyes:

So any way, I'm still looking for a 33/34 grill shell to put on it if anyone has one. Preferably little to nothing for it since we are a non-profit organization.

My goal is to have it done by the 44th Annual Moonshine Festival in downtown Dawsonville which is October 21-23. The mechanical stuff needs to be done along with sandblasting the body and frame, painting it (off-white/cream) and have it lettered by my friend, Ron Edwards, whose been pinstriping and lettering racecars since 1966.

Anyway....on with the pictures!

[​IMG]
    Rolling her off the trailer with me steering (yes, I'm only 15, but that don't mean I'm not a hard worker and can't get this stuff done:D)

[​IMG]
    I hardly had brakes....but there was a tree down below if needed to break the speed:eek:

[​IMG]
    Just easing it down

[​IMG]
    It's got a modified seat with truck steering, so I had to twist myself into a pretzel to get out through the passenger's window.

[​IMG]
    Me and 2007 GRHOF Inductee, Bruce Brantley, who's gonna be working on the mechanics side of the deal.

[​IMG]
    Don't look too bad from a distance.

[​IMG]
    A stuck 350:( The only two things we're gonna salvage from the engine will be the Offenhouser Intake and Holley Carb.

[​IMG]
    The back window's of cars back in the day were cut bigger to haul the spare tires in.

[​IMG]
    Yup...it had a beer keg for a gas tank back in the day:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Not too bad for a start....

[​IMG]
    Not a very good pic, but this was taken from the driver's window looking in. See how the truck steering unit takes up a good part of the cockpit space? That puts the shifter in your lap and the seat moved back. The floors will also have to be re-thought. The front half is thin sheet-metal and the back half is just the chassis braces.

So what do ya'll think? I'm gonna try and get my project through the deadline. Stay tuned for more pics of the build, and if you know of any parts or pieces...lemme know!

-Cody (Hot Rod Elvis)

2. leadhead51

leadhead51
    from ontario

way to go.good luck on the project.it'll be more fun than playin video games or texting all day like most 15 year olds

3. cartcoupe36

cartcoupe36
    from Acworth GA

way to go cody! hope it goes well an gets done before the moonshine festival. your a hard worker an a great addition to the hall of fame. anyone that can help this young man will be well deserved an very much appreciated

4. 62catalina

62catalina

I think that old car was built and raced in the 50s and 60s by Dick Hunnicutt (says Hunnicutt Garage on the trunk) from Clayton Ga. His sons semi restored it 20-25 yrs ago. His sons operate H & E Automotive in Clayton Ga.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

I want to take that car for a drive when its ready.......very cool

6. StrickV8

StrickV8

can't help you on the grill shell, but best of luck on having it ready. plan on going so if i see ya, will say hello.