Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Flatliner!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Aug 9, 2010.

1. fitzee

fitzee

I picked up replacement bushing for leaf springs from one of our local spring shop. There inch and 1/2. Wanted to get the inch and 3/4 but for some reason the bigger ones were $32 each and the smaller ones were $ 6 dollars each. A bit much for a 1/4 of an inch.

2. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

WOW!! my hat is off to you,GOOD LUCK!

3. fitzee

fitzee

It has been some time now since a update. Been tied up and busy at other stuff and only got back at it this weekend. It was long over do. I figure out what my C notch was going to look like and cut them out. Welded them in place and cut the old frame out. Much like the front I never finished the bottom side. I want to get a bottom in the main shell and then remove the body and finish the frame then. Had to roll it out by the door for a look.It been awhile since it been a roller with the body on. Didn`t have it a roller for long! Removed the brace I had to set it a ride height in the back and removed the block I had up front. took some cutting both on the S10 frame and the inner body by the tires but I got it to lay frame. So much for a roller!! Next I will mount a motor and trans and set all that up,build mounts and figure out my floors. till next update this is all for now.

Attached Files:

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Awesome fitzee.
    A LOT of local enthusiasts looked at that car and figured it was unbuildable.
    They should have known better...

5. movingviolation

movingviolation

Thats good stuff Fitz.... Mighty good stuff!!! As Bill said..... They should have known better.... Its magic when nothing becomes something!

6. fitzee

fitzee

Yes as you guys know I had this for sale for some time and everybody that looked at it thought it was a basket case and no body wanted it. Glad now i never got rid of it. there for awhile I was thinking of chopping it up and dumping it. Don`t know what I was thinking!! thinking about cutting up a mint car!! Well.... She was mint from the door handles up!!

7. 562roadster

562roadster

Wow! Great work! It's looking great!

8. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

Looks like your moving right along. Looks killer! Im used to rust where Im from too, I couldnt image building a car from the west coast. I dont know if I could get used to skiping that 1st step!:eek:

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking great Fitzee ! It has been so long since your last update I figured you were out cruising around in it before winter gets here :D:D:D

10. fitzee

fitzee

First step.lol That is priceless

11. fitzee

fitzee

Ha Ha!! Stuff like work,making money to live keeps getting in the way. If I could only find a way to live without money I`ll have more time to work on the car......No wait!!!!! I need money for that too.DOH.

Steve where are you too with your garage? any lights in it yet? better yet any heat??

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am still farting around with the wiring...panel is not operational yet, got the walls insulated and the garage door insulated yest, gonna try and get some more wiring done this week so my buddy can do the final tie in to the house asap, oh yeah I even got some more lights installed !

13. fitzee

fitzee

Not much of a update.Been busy at other stuff. I been at it.Just trying to figure things out.I have a motor and trans mocked up and when I find some time at work I figure out things like exhaust,trans mount, rad,steering, motor mounts and making sure all the parts like fan, fuel pump and distributor will clear everything. Had some problems with fitting a rad but have that figure out.Now my idea for the front body sheet metal has changed.The rad has to be mounted too far forward for my liking because of the narrow S10 frame and the steering box.It will work but only gives me a few inch out to the nose of the car.Had plans for a floating grill tucked inside a opening in the front of the car and this will be changed now to a 56 old bumper.Other problems were, Fuel pump was hitting the frame,have to notch the frame,No I`m not going to run a electric pump!! Also can`t run ram horn manifolds,they bring up in the S10 control arm! So have to run mid 70`s manifolds that dump in the back.Next I will work on the steering column and figure out where that is going to bring up and how to make the linkage for the shifter work.When I have all this ironed out I will mount the motor and trans and then I can attack them floors. So nothing new to see just lots of figuring. Just keeping everybody in the loop!

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lots to keep busy eh ! Glad I got alot of that crap done...still got alot more to do though lol ! I got 9 days off over Christmas hope to get some progress worth posting! Keep at er!

15. fitzee

fitzee

Yes it is that time of year. seem for the next few weeks car stuff comes second. Who`s brilliant idea was this??

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

Not mine thats for damn sure :p

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subscribed! You are a crazy sumbitch, fitzee! Love it.

18. Wow. Show that rust whos boss. Haha

19. fitzee

fitzee

Time to make a update. Not much of one but some what of a update. Been playing around with mount the engine and figuring out everything. Final got the manifold problem fixed thats to Bill and some parts he had. Had to run a over the top manifold cause all other manifolds hit the upper control arm.Now that that is figure out I can position the engine so I can make mounts. Also I came across a parts car that will save me a lot of headaches. Because of the parts car I leaning towards a different direction with the car. I will explain as I go. Well that is it for now Get the mount made and off to do floors.

20. fitzee

fitzee

Some pictures might help!!

Attached Files:

21. A new direction? Don't tell us you are going to restore the 52 4dr original!:D:D. It will be interesting to see what you got planned. The 4dr doesen't look too bad, good score. Good to see you got the mount thing sorted out, another stumbling block beaten.

22. fitzee

fitzee

No nothing like doing the 4 door. Plan is now with having good fenders is just to french the lights and stick with stock grill and bumpers. My old fender were shot around the lights so the 56 olds would fix this. Tring to find ways to simplified the build.

23. Fitzee this thing has come a long way . Nice to see your at the drivetrain point . Gotta have it in for sure before the floor construction happens . I am with coppertop that 4 dr looks pretty solid .Good Score . Was it a NFLD car all its life ? It should look like what you started with by now . Go figure !!! Keep at er and she will be a yard runner by the spring .

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice to see the motor/trans mocked up! I see what you mean about the manifolds, looks like you got it all sorted out now. Those fenders do look pretty good, most of the ones I saw back in Ontario were ok around the headlights but were almost or completely rusted into two halves where the inner fenders rubber seal touched the out side of the fender lol!

25. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hi Fitzee,what a build!! you sure are keen !!! 1st chev I owned was a '49 Styleline Deluxe 4door...wish I still had it.I've just read your whole thread and am impressed that you haven't let the car cancer beat ya!!It just goes on and on don't it...I've gotta ask..how come you haven't sand blasted your shell etc? (only the structural stuff of course :))
    Its gona be cool az once its chopped...and AWESOME choice for the dash IMO ,lookin forward to more progress pics.............................................................is it painted yet??? lol:D

26. fitzee

fitzee

Sand blast the shell!! Why?? If i did that I would have nothing left!!. I find it better to do most of the metal work and then blast it. The last 10 to 15 inch of the bottom of this is gone so blasting it would of been a wast of money at the start. Biggest problem I am having now is time. My shop is over run with work and I am training a few new guys.I want like nothing else to just drop everything and go at the car but the customers comes first,

27. fitzee

fitzee

These fenders have some holes but compared to what I had I only have to replace 4 inch on the bottom instead of 15 inch.lol

28. fitzee

fitzee

This 4 door was not always a Newfoundland car. I was told it came from central Canada. But from looking under it it might of came here in 1959!!! All floors,rockers are shot. doors are good as well as the frame. Will strip it down to the frame and keep anything that is usable. Have it stored in my back yard for now cause everthing i need off it is cosmetic and I`m far from that yet.

29. fleet-master

fleet-master

lol yup I can see your point...sandblasting could turn it into a colinder...I know how you feel bout all the customer stuff cos I feel like the proverbial barefoot cobbler myself at times..fixin my everyone else's ride while mine sits!! :eek:

30. hvychvy

hvychvy

Nice work!!! Look forward to more updates.