Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Flatliner!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Aug 9, 2010.

1. I had a good laugh out of Bill's comment about " pristine ". A facebook friend of mine is amazed at what you are doing and said " he must be nuts", my response was " he's a craftsman and knows what he's doing" You are doing great Fitz. BTW I was looking through some old pics tonight and have a pic of " flatliner" taken in 1992. Brendan.

2. fitzee

fitzee

Brenden you can fill me in on some history on this car. Where it was and how long it has been sitting not being used.

If there is a old car around Newfoundland that has been around a long time Brenden can tell you history about it.

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am sure its been around for a while it has Fred Flintstone
    brakes on it :D:D

4. fitzee

fitzee

Been busy getting some of my parts cars scraped,winters coming!! I should have more done.But here is where i am at. I clued up the driver door. Sorry no picture of it. There in the work computer.DOH!! I set the car up next for the front clip swap. Now don`t get you pee hot. I had to!! The front was rusted way too bad so I will install a S10 clip I have had for 6 or 7 years!! I pack rat everything!! I set the car up at 5 inch ride height and spent a bunch of time measuring everything and to be happy with the height.No turning back now. Add two cross members. will cut the drive shaft sections out later. Chopped off the front as well as the trans cross member. As you can see the front end was bad. and I ended up with another pile of rust.Are this rust piles ever going to end??

Attached Files:

5. fitzee

fitzee

Ok here is one of them late model frames that you have a hard time speaking about with some guys on here.lol. I removed the front springs and set the lower control arms level and welded on two stops.Then I trimmed the frame to fit to the 52 frame. Need to think now on the best way I will join these frames. Off to the drag strip this weekend so it gives me time to think about it. I couldn`t let it go without test fitting a fender. The Studebaker hub cap don`t look have bad!! I have 57 Caddy hub caps on the way as we speak to replace them.Thanks Peter.Till next week

Attached Files:

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man shes looking good Fitzee ! Gonna be a roller soon , with the long weekend I hope to get a few jobs outta the way on ol rusty.

7. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Fitzee, you and Koolkemp are rusty metal magicians! I can't believe the work you guys are doing. Kinda surprised you don't just build cars from scratch, less rust that way. Great job, an make sure your tetnus shot has been updated. lol

8. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Subscribed!! Great work, inspiring!!

9. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Get down! fitzee. Making it happen...

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I drop up to fitzees shop lunchtime every Friday for a chat. Every week the project moves ahead by leaps. Very cool to watch it come together.

Both those projects by Koolkemp and fitzee should be a boost to guys who think their projects just might be a little too rough to get working on.

NOTHING is unrepairable if you approach it with the right attitude. :D

11. fitzee

fitzee

One day I want to build something from scratch. Have a 27 project I started a few years back but lost interest. Tetnus shots!! Too late for them. Rust is in my blood.lol

12. fitzee

fitzee

Now Bill you gave me a idea. maybe I should dig this project out of the shed and finish it!!

[​IMG]

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Maybe you should dig a hole beside the shed and bury it!! LoL

You stick with the Flatliner.
    You can always do the "A" NEXT year when you get bored! :D:D:D

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Maybe YOU should be thrashing on that 32 Ford mister :rolleyes:

15. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ouch!

I'm always AT stuff...just not the RIGHT stuff! :( :D:D

16. fitzee

fitzee

Bill, he starting to get to know you good.lol

17. fitzee

fitzee

Another full day at the shop. Spent the last few days figuring out the location of the frame. Where nothing would line up I had to cut the frames and mount the S10 frame on a stand and place it where it would be and then measure,measure and measure again. Hackerbilt dropped by today to give me a hand. Glad you did Bill Nice idea cutting the ends of the plates so they go to a point. Looks better that way. Have the top and both side completed and will cap the bottom when I remove the body and flip the frame. The body is solid enough now to remove so I`ll remove it and work on the rear end next.

18. fitzee

fitzee

Some pictures might help!! It was a long day!!

Attached Files:

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Any time fitz...
    Let me know when your going at the rear notch and I'll drop up again.
    I'm sick of doing bodywork on my junk so sucking back welding fumes and eating too many donuts and coffee at your place is a nice, healthy diversion. ;)
    She'll soon be a roller! Can't wait!!!

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cool almost a roller eh!! For as rusty as that poor old car was the frame actually looks cleaner than the S10 clip :p , something to be said about old steel I guess...I am still busy catching up on stuff I should have got done this summer instead of working on the car , hopefully I will have an update in the next couple of weeks...I better or you will be moving past me lol!!

21. wow! Great work on the frame especially "marrying" the two together. The work looks great!

22. fitzee

fitzee

My Hubcaps showed up. Need to start a WWW can now for my tires

Attached Files:

23. Coupe Crazy

Coupe Crazy
    from LI, NY

Looks awesome! You are a brave man with some killer talent. Given that project, I would have been in the corner sucking my thumb asking for my mommy. Go Fitz Go...

24. fitzee

fitzee

Well on to the next step. Was going to make front body mounts for the car but decided to wait. there is a few issues I need to look at and need the frame set up with the rear end in place. So off came the body. My rockers held up great.seems that is the only place to jack and support the car!! Rear cross member on the body is ruff. But the rear frame looks solid other then one spot under the left rear spring mount. nothing to hard to fix. I cut the springs off so as to see the frame at ride height. Need to get some ideas now on a rear setup. Like everything else on this Island I had to hunt for a rear end that was not rusted out. Most Camaro rear ends around here have the backing plates rusted and they are hard to get. Well I had two rear ends dropped off, again thanks to Peter,he seems to be finding everything I need.I have enough now to mock up a rear end. still need a center section but again Peter is looking after that. Tomorrow I plan on cutting out the old rear end and setting up the new one and figuring out my C notch and might as well cut the remains of the old floor out of the car. not doing nothing in there anyway. Only thing holding the rear floors in place is the rear dash!! Oh one last thing.My 49 Ford tail lights showed up today. Guess who got them for me??

Attached Files:

25. fitzee

fitzee

Funny shit. I seem to find rust free cars boring to do!!My shop if full of projects with rust issues.

26. fitzee

fitzee

Thanks I was not sure on what I was going to do with the join till the last min. Lots of planning there!!

27. fitzee

fitzee

Me move past you!! Race ya!!

28. fitzee

fitzee

Not much of a update but i did get something done. Remover old rear end and mocked up the Camaro rear end.Making plans for the set up.Truck arm stile with air ride. Also cut what was left of the old floors out. Almost got all the rust gone!!

Attached Files:

29. fitzee

fitzee

I spent most of the week doing homework on the truck arm setups. Picked at the arms each night and today I finished them up and installed them. It was a long day so i just tacked them in place I need to take a few more measurements to be happy. Never got too carried away with making this setup fancy.I wanted something simple that worked. After I am pleased and it is all welded up I`ll move on to the C notch.

Attached Files:

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice set-up Fitzee, what did you use for bushings in the front of the arms?