Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Flatliner!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Hahaha...thats just WRONG Jason! LoL

The COOLEST part of that pic is the grinder and extension cord far in the woods road, a mile from the nearest house!
    A 12v power inverter and 200' of cord mean nothing is beyond getting now!

Fitzee got some spring mounts and a smooth back 9" rearend...Rustydibris picked up a really clean set of 59 Chevy rams horns and I grabbed a set of British car bolt on steering arms to use as brackets along with a cool looking small aluminium steering box that has a 4 turn lock and smooth action.
    Might use it on something...it was just too neat to leave rotting in the bush!

All in all a fun day...capped of by a Hamb-burger platter at the legendary "Eat & Explode" Takeout and then a drive around historic and BEAUTIFUL Brigus NL looking for some van flares for our other bud Geoff-fa-fa.
    Hot Rods, history, junk and friends.
    Doesn't get much better than that! ;):D:D:D

2. rustydibris

rustydibris

there as steering wheel i forgot to grab... the spokes were in shape of an
    "x" i'll get it the spring

3. fitzee

fitzee

Yes it was a fun weekend..Must say that inverter is a cool thing to have.. Like 120 bucks and a few plugs and you can cut what ever you like.. Had to take pics of it.. Here it is hooked up to my truck then you see 220 feet of cord heading deep in the woods to a pile of cars where I was cutting springs mounts out!!

Attached Files:

4. Vance539

Vance539
    from usa

that looks like a LOT of work, but good job so far.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. fitzee

fitzee

well got another few hours at it tonight. was wondering about the 60 pontiac spring being too long so had to get that figured out. Here you can see I cut 4 control arm mounts from two early 60s gm cars and I just cut the mounts off and found a spot in the car to mount them. some triming and they fit good.Will box in the top later when i remove the body after floors are done.I was worried the spring would be too long in the car. but the car is sitting 3 to 4 inch higher then I want it and with nothing in the car in the way of glass and steel I thing I wont have to cut them.. cool. I wanted a nice ride and cutting the coils would of stiffen the springs. Now I have them figured out Ill figure out shocks and the cross link. then its back to metal work and floors..

Attached Files:

6. randy

randy

Wow. I don't know anyone that would have taken this project on. You're a beast! Nice work saving it from oblivion.

7. fitzee

fitzee

Well it is slow going but Im getting some stuff done! Final got the shocks figure out and made the mounts as well as the cross member. Had to hunt around for some bushings for the pan hard bar but remember I has a set up to the house so dug them out and went ahead and made that..Set it up at ride height. Im only tack welding the brackets in place for now. Plan is to pull the body and finsh everthing then. This way if i run into problems anywhere before then it makes it easier to fix. Was wondering about the tank and where it will go.. I did a test fit and Im happy where it is sits. was worried the pan hard bar would be in the way.. Now this is all figured out I can go back at the wheel wells and floors.. Like to get the right side wheel well made tomorrow and get both welded up. then I need to redo the driver side quarter. I want to be at the floors but it seems I find things that I need to do before the start of the floors.. I cant wait to start them.. I been planning them in my head now for a month or more.. Think that will be the project that will light a spark under me and you will see progress then!!

Attached Files:

8. oldman2

oldman2

Looks like things are working out good for you...Jim

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good Fitz!

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Lotsa room!
    Excellent!!!

11. fitzee

fitzee

yes Bill more problems figure out. Must of hurt my arm yesterday at something.. Going to relax today.had plans to go at the car but Going to give the arm a rest for today. tomorrow Ill go at it again..

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am looking forward to you doing the floors too...it will really start to look like a solid car again with new floors!

13. rustydibris

rustydibris

looks good... but i out did you on progress the last few days :p.... someones gotta lite the fire under your arse. The rear suspison is pretty solid and very tidy... I cant believe it worked so well.

14. fitzee

fitzee

thanks guys.. Now that the rearend is figure out it was time to strip it all out and make the other wheel well. So now both are made and all I need to do is weld them up and install them. but before I do that I need to cut and weld the drivers quarter. Got it all cut and tack welded and the inside ready for welding as well as any holes welded up. with any luck tomorrow Ill get both the quarter and both wheels wells welded and dressed so I can install the wheel wells.

Attached Files:

15. fitzee

fitzee

Yes Jason you got more done on your 56 then me but remember I spent some of my time baby sitting you with all you do overs!!! lol

Attached Files:

16. rustydibris

rustydibris

What better way to learn ... do it all twice :D

17. fitzee

fitzee

Tring to get a bunch of work done then make a post.. I been busy. Got the drivers side quarter all welded and ground. Then it was onto the wheel wells. Had to remove the old undercoating form them and then weld and grind them. had to add a peice in the trunk side of the wheel well to flow with my floor idea. After they were ready I then welded them in and mounted the wells to the rockers inside. There was alot of time put into it to get it here.. Lots of welding grinding and fitting..

Attached Files:

18. fitzee

fitzee

With the front in place I had to make the middle panel to see How it looked and to figure out the mounts for the body up by the wheel wells. Use my old homemade bender.. built this some 15 years ago and it still works like a charm. after I had it made it was on to the makeing the mount and gas tank cross member. Added a few beads to the panel and fit it in place.. this is ready to install.

Attached Files:

19. fitzee

fitzee

Next I have to make up the rear mount and to do this I need to make quarter sections from the botton of the quarter to the trunk floor but befor I do this there is one thing I wanted to rework and that is the length of the quarter behind the wheel.Im build a custon set of skirts for the car and dont like how the stock chevy ones fit so I want a fuller skirt that raps down under the car, well I cut behind the wheel and moved the section down and after some playing arounf I was happy with a inch. Then a quick test fit of the VW door skins that I will be using for skirts So then I welded up both sides and grinded all the welds now I can move on to the rear trunk mount.

Attached Files:

20. oldman2

oldman2

Well I have to agree with you, that was a lot of work, but it all looks great. Floor will look good. What you did to the rear quarters was super, that made it look so much better, good job on everything...Jim

21. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Looking really good dude! Keep it up!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

Those 1/4's are absolutely pimp-tastic!

To think outside of the box, you must first remove the box!

23. wow, the transformation of your car is amazing. I love it!

24. fitzee

fitzee

Thanks guys. Thing to push to have this on the road this summer. Don't know if that will happen but I'm going to sure try.

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow Fitz you are just flyin'! I really like the treatment you came up with on the bottom of the 1/4's for the skirts well worth the effort. I would imagine you are probably shoveling snow today though :p

26. fitzee

fitzee

Oh we are in one mess here.. almost 50 cm of snow!! cant get into the shop..now it turn to rain and I beat the plow up on my plow truck..still not cleaned up yet!!

you like that treatmen steve. dont like the stock skirts and how they fit so going to build my own..I like how the 50 fords skirts looked.. they flow with the bottom of the car and had a raised lip on them much like this one

Attached Files:

27. redstraw

redstraw
    from tn

its coming along nice had to read it twice when you said you cant wait to do the floors never heard anyone say that before,lol guess if theres none ther it would make a hell of a differance. cant wait for more updates.

28. fitzee

fitzee

almost forgot Rustydibris is at my shop build a 56 ford truck for himeself and last weds night took some time from his project to help me with mine..Trying to cut corners to get this on the road.want to make a full custom front for it but going to hold off on that till after it is on the road.. so Jason(rustydibris) took down the remains of both stock grills I have and through this togeather from two rusted out grills.. Might just leave it as is to show where this car started! a rusted hunk! he want to fine tune it but it is much as i think I will run..this cuts down on the front work I was going to do..

Attached Files:

29. oldman2

oldman2

Grill looks good to me for now, run it till you have time to refine....Jim

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

I agree, leave that grille for now!